What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Cap.420

Sure thing my friend if you mean how long to dry it will depend on how wet it is.
Suffice to say you should dry it until it is able to be smoked without the joint going out all the time.
The cob looks well fermented and needs to stop.

Be careful not to get mold as it dries so dry it in an area with very low humidity.
I would use a dehydrator you know the kind of machine where you dry fruit ect, on the lowest setting.
They are very cheap on ebay and can be very useful if you need to dry anything on cool or humid days.
thank you brother for the answer, right now I have to improvise something, I don't have any of the above, but I will definitely prepare better for the next time :cool::rasta:
-
no, I will buy on Monday :sasmokin:
Stay high

Last edited:

Tmik

2 months old check up. About 20 grams each. I moved these to a grove bag a month ago to see how that works out. Golden Tiger.

IMG_5216.jpeg

Tangwena

Veteran
2 months old check up. About 20 grams each. I moved these to a grove bag a month ago to see how that works out. Golden Tiger.

View attachment 19021523
What beauties. Bars of gold there brother.
They look to be aging perfectly, in a perfect world i would buy one in a flash to put it away to age after a long and serious taste haha test.
That would be a dream come true for me.
Imagine if we could freely share internationally, what an explosion of talent it would produce.

Cap.420

Sure thing my friend if you mean how long to dry it will depend on how wet it is.
Suffice to say you should dry it until it is able to be smoked without the joint going out all the time.
The cob looks well fermented and needs to stop.

Be careful not to get mold as it dries so dry it in an area with very low humidity.
I would use a dehydrator you know the kind of machine where you dry fruit ect, on the lowest setting.
They are very cheap on ebay and can be very useful if you need to dry anything on cool or humid days.
IMG_5154.jpeg IMG_5153.jpeg IMG_5152.jpeg
I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I bought a food dehydrator today, I'm using a dryer for the first time, so I'm wondering how long it will take? I'm afraid I might screw something up :rasta:
sorry to bother you

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
View attachment 19021655 View attachment 19021656 View attachment 19021657
I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I bought a food dehydrator today, I'm using a dryer for the first time, so I'm wondering how long it will take? I'm afraid I might screw something up :rasta:
sorry to bother you
Thats what this thread is for my friend its no bother.
I would use its lowest setting temperature wise and just keep checking hourly they work very slowly on the lowest temp settings so it may take a few hours depending on how moist it is.
looking at the pictures start at 36c for an hour and then check the moisture level it will probably need 3 to 4 hours if the juices were coming out when vacuum packing.

It takes a few hours to dry the surface, once the surface is dry to the touch allow the moisture levels to stabilize outside of the dehydrator before deciding if it needs more treatment.
You need it to be smokeable before sealing up to age/preserve.

I use my dehydrator a lot to fine tune moisture levels if my cobs are too moist, low and slow is the best method.
Drying naturally is hard if the cobs are too moist and can start mold if the ambient temps and humidity are not right.
You need very dry air to prevent mold gaining a hold.
Dont worry you have the right hardware just keep checking it while drying you will soon get the hang of it.

Cap.420

Thats what this thread is for my friend its no bother.
I would use its lowest setting temperature wise and just keep checking hourly they work very slowly on the lowest temp settings so it may take a few hours depending on how moist it is.
looking at the pictures start at 36c for an hour and then check the moisture level it will probably need 3 to 4 hours if the juices were coming out when vacuum packing.

It takes a few hours to dry the surface, once the surface is dry to the touch allow the moisture levels to stabilize outside of the dehydrator before deciding if it needs more treatment.
You need it to be smokeable before sealing up to age/preserve.

I use my dehydrator a lot to fine tune moisture levels if my cobs are too moist, low and slow is the best method.
Drying naturally is hard if the cobs are too moist and can start mold if the ambient temps and humidity are not right.
You need very dry air to prevent mold gaining a hold.
Dont worry you have the right hardware just keep checking it while drying you will soon get the hang of it.
thank you very much :rasta: (y)I'm checking and it's still not for smoking, now I'm interested to know, when it's dry enough, I immediately vacuum it up and put it in the dark at room temperature, or??

Tangwena

Veteran
thank you very much :rasta: (y)I'm checking and it's still not for smoking, now I'm interested to know, when it's dry enough, I immediately vacuum it up and put it in the dark at room temperature, or??
Yes once its dried to the normal humidity seal it up and store at ambient room temps.
A little moisture in the center is ok but try to get it to the same level for jar cured buds.

Cap.420

Yes once its dried to the normal humidity seal it up and store at ambient room temps.
A little moisture in the center is ok but try to get it to the same level for jar cured buds.
the cobs were in the dehydrator for 7-8 hours IMG_5164.png after they reached a certain degree of dryness, after that I vacuumed them and left them in a dark room, but I'm still not 100% sure that they are dry enough, after how much time would it be desirable to open and check? I know that now this is a very important phase and the smoke is already good :sasmokin: :biggrin:

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
the cobs were in the dehydrator for 7-8 hours View attachment 19022439 after they reached a certain degree of dryness, after that I vacuumed them and left them in a dark room, but I'm still not 100% sure that they are dry enough, after how much time would it be desirable to open and check? I know that now this is a very important phase and the smoke is already good :sasmokin: :biggrin:
If you don't think that they are dry enough, check in the morning. If damp still, let them sit in a warm dry place until they are feel dry again, or you could give them another blast in the dehydrator. Cheek again in a week after that.

Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll develops a feel for it.

Tangwena

Veteran
What the Doc said above is spot on you should be safe now just open now and then dry if needed and keep it sealed up for a few months taking off slices to use as you desire.
I keep the majority of my cobs sealed up all the time just taking chunks off each which I keep in jar to use as needed.
AND I still cant finish them ha ha they seem to last forever or maybe they are reproducing while I'm not looking ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
What I used to love about smoking cob is that you might smoke most of a small joint but even a couple of bangs on the roach hours later will reliably take you right back up.
That looks very effective.😍
When I still used to smoke I had roaches all over the place I only smoked them if I had a drought ha ha.
I preferred to roll fresh joints just for the unlit taste I got before lighting them up.
I miss that not the smoking but the dragging on an unlit joint.
I still do it when I get an especially aromatic cob. Then chew up the pinner joint as normal paper and all haha.

ilovegrowing

When I still used to smoke I had roaches all over the place I only smoked them if I had a drought ha ha.
I preferred to roll fresh joints just for the unlit taste I got before lighting them up.
I miss that not the smoking but the dragging on an unlit joint.
I still do it when I get an especially aromatic cob. Then chew up the pinner joint as normal paper and all haha.
Random guy comes up to you:
„sir it seems you need a lighter?“

Tangwena:
„No thanks, im fine“ proceeds eating the spfliff

Hehe

Same cob, 3 days of drying after the sweat
Ready for long cure
F052709D-C30E-4CB8-940D-79BF43DA3C07.jpeg

CDNINCA

Hey all,

Just catching up here… just made it to my destination a couple of hours north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada after a 4 day 4506 KM/ 2800 mile road trip from my home in California. I’m delivering a kayak that I built for my brother and some other goodies… not cobs though, the border folks might not appreciate that too much. They need to be enlightened! It’s so crazy that this is still a problem in some states in the US as it is in some other countries… @Tangwena , still hoping for Australia brother!

Anyway, catching up here… @Hombre del mont , nice location there brother, looks nice and relaxing!

Cheers!

Onboard

Hi friends, long time no see!
(Edit: Maybe i Will more text during the day, from my laptop - this autocorrect drives me cray cray!)
IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpeg

(Edit: Sowahh and Pinky Sour from @Karma G, and Blue Dream from own seed.)
These are all cobs that I have had problems drying up properly, before long time storage.
Had better resins this time, that may have contributed to a harder amalgamation, which in turn appears tougher to dry?
Even a full week in a warm and dry spot didnt do much. Sorry, it seems to have dried up enough, after all. (I dried them a month ago maybe, so they ought to be stabilized by now)
Guess I’ll have to find a warmer one.
But mostly, i Will be working with drier flower to start with. (Because its what i got right now anyways 😆)
IMG_2664.jpeg

Here are some of the same cobs, before they overfermented.
Ok, see you soon, have a nice day friends!

Attachments

• IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2664.jpeg
    IMG_2664.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited: