What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for stable/homogeneous seeds from North America (in EU)

JetLife175

Veteran
Dude, I know very few breeders that are running skittles..... we have more genetic diversity than any other country in the world as a breeder base.... I don't know where you're buying seeds but none of my friends are running that..... Most of what I see lately is experimenting with landraces, as well as digging into ogs, and alternative cannabis but I might also be in a microcosm
We're talking what's mainly available. It's just the genepool these days. Although I will say people are starting to finally stray away from the "Z's". It was OG kush for a very long time, then it was cookies, then Z. Now we're going back to OG. Just the way things work I guess.

linde

I've grown my share of Skittlez and Runtz. I would say that a good Runtz pheno is about the strongest tasting smoke out there today. Super delicious tasting without a doubt. I've got a great pheno as a mother. But ya very unstable. It'll take a whole seedpack to hopefully get one keeper. Then you've gotta keep mother's and all that crap. So definitely not what the OP is looking for.

Ankermann

OT: So many quotes... Should I drop these for better/easier reading or what is the proper formatting and posting guide around here?

Seeds marketing prefers create some nice stories, kind of "myths" around the seeds rather than telling what they really are who would certainly be boring for most people. Old strains from the legal era of seeds production in the Netherlends are the shadow of themselves because the first parents were lost because of police raids, S1 are not more prone to produce hermi than any seeds.About WW I would not buy a pack from Mr Nice the plants are not of consistent quality at all today. Just choose a pack of seeds from reputable seed producers and you're sure to be happy with your hatvest. Most important buy a pack from someone who really produce them himself and not like most old seedbanks who outsource their seeds production.
Every mythical strain a bagseed 😜
Ok, I was under the impression, that S1 (or selfing itself) leads to higher rate of hermaphrodite expression; quick and dirty search say because the seeds are stress induced reproduction. Kinda smells bro-sciency; but I am not a geneticist.
Thanks for reminding me of the other reason I was not so stoked for the allegedly original Widow by Mr. Nice - multiple seeds to packs need to be hunted.

If I could only grow 6 plants I would..that's tough..I would need variety. I would want to know the seeds I germinated would be a plant like the strain description. So I would grow 6 different plants aiming for at least 4oz a plant to get me through to next harvest. So pick 1 fem seed that I'm confident is going to be what I expect. Damn that's tough. Here goes..

C99 ~ Hazeman or Kwik seeds. This will be the first plant I harvest and my daytime happy energy effect. Flower time around 50-55 days.

White Russian ~ Serious seeds. Plants are like clones. Huge yield. Sledgehammer indica leaning hybrid effect. Frosty, dense, 63 days

Purple Urkle x Triangle Kush 5150 ~ CSI Humboldt. Color, frost, fruity gas, potent. Caleb says they are all keepers. 63-70 days

Sowah ~ Karma. I have not seen a bad plant or heard a bad thing about this line. Gotta have some Sour D.

GSC/GG4/OG Kush ~ CSI Humboldt you would have to do research and see what tickles your fancy.
Me personally I'd go with Tony Greens Gorilla Bubble but not sure you can get that over there.

Last strain would be something from Ace seeds. Long flowering sativa. Lots to choose from.

That is enough old and new with good variety and I'd be stoked with those 6 jars.
Nice (and bookmarked) selection. C99 and White Russian (Sowahh and ACE in general) as well peaked my interest.
I wanted to "converge from below" to these strains by trying their ((great-) grand-) parents before, so maybe for later.
CSI Humboldt is hard to source around here, but do you have 1st or 2nd hand experience with Kwik Seeds? Afraid these would need to cross the EU border at my own risk as well though...

That's a pretty solid selection. but OP prefers some fem seeds, I think the C99 from Kwik or Hazeman are regular seeds same for Sowahh. He could use instead Old School Genetics SSH98, a fast version of this famous sativa;
And instead of Sowahh he could grow Mop Choper from Karma, it's a fem cross of Mule Fuel and Biker Kush; the other you listed are available in fem seeds.
Extremely valid point lol

Female seeds C99 and Sour Ripper then. I give up it's nearly impossible to fill that criteria. 😂
Indeed, I'd prefere feminzied, but if that specific strain is worth it and maybe if there are two ore more of such, then I am ok with that. Would have to pop three or four seeds per strain and watch closely after flipping lights. Would suck if all are males or females, but gotta die some death eventually.
But thank you so much for the alternative sources!

Grow Chemdog/Sour Diesel family if you like unpleasant smells, lol. I am telling you from experience the chem family and everything related is not made for the European palate. Smelly feet, old socks, bad breath, motor oil, onion, fuel, locker room, skunk spray etc... You've been warned.
I am not a chem fan as I don't like weed that has a halitosis terp profile.
Haha, holy shit, literally bad breath. I cannot believe that the smell - or worse, taste - is so clear and strong. So cheese really resembles cheese? Garlic and onions would not sound bad at all to me though!
I am alerted now, thank you!

I would go with Twenty20 Mendocino for the Trainwreck. Next Generation for the Romulan. NG is from Canada but ships to USA no problem. Yes Chemdog sounds great if u can get legit stuff. Or even a Sour Diesel. Shoreline Genetics sells a ECSD that is supposed to be killer.
I am within the EU and I really want to avoid sending seeds. Bad case: I lose the seeds and the money at the border; worst case: I lose a lot more money during that process for legal stuff. Importing seeds from outside the EU can be risky or expensive. Couldn't find a reseller, but I ask them, if they know a way.

Romulan I only find by Pyramid seeds. They seem to have been legit, but there is not so much information about these days.

kro-magnon

Veteran
If you order your seeds from Spain or UK(where the biggest seedbanks in EU are) you'll be ok; in my country it's still illegal to grow but seeds are not as there no THC or not enough to be considered illegal by the custom. I can "collect" cannabis seeds as much as I want legally.
About bad smelling flowers, there is some extremely foul smelling plants who appear sometimes and in the USA many famous clones have very nasty odors, it really depends on what you chose to buy.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OT: So many quotes... Should I drop these for better/easier reading or what is the proper formatting and posting guide around here?

Ok, I was under the impression, that S1 (or selfing itself) leads to higher rate of hermaphrodite expression; quick and dirty search say because the seeds are stress induced reproduction. Kinda smells bro-sciency; but I am not a geneticist.
Thanks for reminding me of the other reason I was not so stoked for the allegedly original Widow by Mr. Nice - multiple seeds to packs need to be hunted.

Nice (and bookmarked) selection. C99 and White Russian (Sowahh and ACE in general) as well peaked my interest.
I wanted to "converge from below" to these strains by trying their ((great-) grand-) parents before, so maybe for later.
CSI Humboldt is hard to source around here, but do you have 1st or 2nd hand experience with Kwik Seeds? Afraid these would need to cross the EU border at my own risk as well though...

Indeed, I'd prefere feminzied, but if that specific strain is worth it and maybe if there are two ore more of such, then I am ok with that. Would have to pop three or four seeds per strain and watch closely after flipping lights. Would suck if all are males or females, but gotta die some death eventually.

Haha, holy shit, literally bad breath. I cannot believe that the smell - or worse, taste - is so clear and strong. So cheese really resembles cheese? Garlic and onions would not sound bad at all to me though!

I am within the EU and I really want to avoid sending seeds. Bad case: I lose the seeds and the money at the border; worst case: I lose a lot more money during that process for legal stuff. Importing seeds from outside the EU can be risky or expensive. Couldn't find a reseller, but I ask them, if they know a way.

Romulan I only find by Pyramid seeds. They seem to have been legit, but there is not so much information about these days.
Regardless your fear of getting problems with seeds from overseas I recommend Humboldtcsi for US genetics. Its worth the risk just because he sends you so many freebies, often full packs. You order one pack and get 5 or more others for free. Order 3 and you have at least 10-15 pack freebies. Google it.

Ankermann

Grrr guys!
Why are you making it so appealing to order from UK, the US and Canada?! :biggrin:
So far I've read (in German) from seeds that were confiscated and destroyed by customs (i.e. money lost), but others had to pay a little fee and got theirs, even from the US.
Importing seeds outside the EU for business purposes can result in a fine from 100 to 30k € (yes, 30k!), whatever business purpose means. Usually customs are outside of Bavaria, but theBavarian government is USA-in-the-30s-and-Nixon-combined-crazy at the moment regarding cannabis. :angrymod:
Yeah, this should not be a business purpose and I have legal protection insurance, but I am very unsure, if I am yet willing to commit.

About bad smelling flowers, there is some extremely foul smelling plants who appear sometimes and in the USA many famous clones have very nasty odors, it really depends on what you chose to buy.
As bad as, let's say titan arum or other flowers that smell like rotting corpse or week-old-wet-carpet?
If so, damn, no thanks; otherwise, gotta try to know for myself.

george7

Grrr guys!
Why are you making it so appealing to order from UK, the US and Canada?! :biggrin:
So far I've read (in German) from seeds that were confiscated and destroyed by customs (i.e. money lost), but others had to pay a little fee and got theirs, even from the US.
Importing seeds outside the EU for business purposes can result in a fine from 100 to 30k € (yes, 30k!), whatever business purpose means. Usually customs are outside of Bavaria, but theBavarian government is USA-in-the-30s-and-Nixon-combined-crazy at the moment regarding cannabis. :angrymod:
Yeah, this should not be a business purpose and I have legal protection insurance, but I am very unsure, if I am yet willing to commit.

As bad as, let's say titan arum or other flowers that smell like rotting corpse or week-old-wet-carpet?

There are tons of options within the EU.
Ace seeds, karma, old school genetics, serious seeds, sensi.
Us genetics you can go karma, old school genetics, perfect tree, grounded genetics, ripper seeds, ethos.
Not to mention hundreds of other seedbanks.
Unless its some super rare seeds, you can find pretty much everything in the EU.
No need to risk customs.

Last edited:

BloomBoss

Hi everyone!

Edit: I am looking for genetics, that don't exist. Weakening the questions:
  • Which strains by which breeder are recommended for a small scale (6 plants) indoor grow at home;
  • Is pheno hunting a necessity in this setting;
  • is there any breeder that stabilizes their post-2000 genetics against herming and/or reducing variability?
Or more openly: If you had to start over with such a small grow, what breeder and strain would you chose and why?
Sadly this questions get so generic that it starts to resemble every what is your favorite breeder question at this point.

Original post starting from here:

TL;DR at the bottom.
Fellow grower from Germany here.
Since the legalization I want to begin growing indoors and am looking for strains to start.
Germans seem to be more conservative and mostly prefer classical/old strains while the NA folks swim in 'their' genetics.
I want to dip my toes into both philosophies and try some classic as well as modern North American strains.
Since I am not trusting cuts around here I will have to work with seeds. I am limited to a maximum of six plants, so pheno as well as sex hunting is something I really want to avoid.
What I am looking for, listed by decreasing priority:
  1. Homogeneous seeds, i.e. plants from seeds do not differ by much. If multiple phenotypes exist, it should be few and every pheno should be worth growing out and harvesting;
  2. tendency of herming as low as possible;
  3. available in the EU (e.g. via reputable reseller) - seeds found at the EU border can (and if found will) be seized;
  4. preference for "the" original breeder of a strain or small breeders in general;
  5. feminized seeds over regular ones, no auto.
Can you point in the direction of such breeders and if possible, also specific strains?

Since I tend to write extensive questions/posts, additional information, questions and "thinking aloud" are packed into the spoilers below.

Starting end of September I want to try out multiple strains (two to four) the first and maybe second grow as well.
Limited by law to six plants at home.
Growing space will be quite small, roughly around 10 ft² / 1 m² (4 ft x 2.5 ft / 120 cm x 80 cm).
The first grow(s) will be on soil and later I would like to switch to DWC.
If falling in love with a strain, keeping a mother plant is an option for future grows.
Ice hash or maybe even pressing rosin would be the ultimate goal, but with such a small growing space I am not sure if that would be even worth it. For flower I use a Tinymight.

My experience with indoor grown cannabis has been only medical cannabis so far, which, at least to me, is all the same with different names and price tags. They all get me high but the high as well as the taste does not differ by much, if at all.
I have grown outdoor (guerrilla, more than 10 years ago), so I know how sturdy cannabis grows outside in an unconstricted space. There the quality was all over the place and so was the taste as well as the high. Strains were a quite ordinary selection (off the top of my head: KC33, Mango, Frisian Dew, Hollands Hope, Mandala #1, Pure Power Plant).

First, the classical strains:
AK47 by Serious Seeds and Black Widow (only reg.?) by Mr Nice Seeds. Both strains (as well as breeders) are considered stable and homogeneous in Germany. Are these all time classics or living off of their big names?
Mandala (Satori fem.) and ACE Seeds (Golden Tiger fem.) are also considered well selected and stabilized true F1 hybrids around here.
Kwik Seeds has a C99, called Cindy 99, which is "the result of recombining two pure, parallel Cinderella 99 lines using a total of 18 parent plants.". Wappa by Paradise Seeds is a classic in a german-speaking forum.
Karma Genetics as well as Connoisseur Genetics (SSSDH, El Valle Haze, Permafunk, Gulupa) are looking fine as well.

Now, the NA genetics:
When I looked for breeders satisfying (some, if not most of) my requirements, the following names popped up: Archive Seed Bank and CSI Humboldt.
Any individual strains that might be especially fitting to my needs and wants?
What about

Sadly, a lot of these strains are hard or impossible to get by. Mostly sold out or via sketchy resellers, if they ever were available inside the EU to begin with.

As promised tl; dr
Growing indoor in a small space, 10 ft² / 1 m².
Growing from seed, no pheno hunting, ideally feminized seeds.
Looking for (NA) breeders and strains with homogeneous seeds, low herm rate, available in EU, original or small breeder preferred.

I appreciate any input, thanks for the help!
Ankermann
For a small-scale indoor grow, consider breeders like Dinafem, Barney’s Farm, or Serious Seeds for stable genetics. Pheno hunting might be less necessary if you choose well-stabilized strains.

BloomBoss

For a small-scale indoor grow, consider breeders like Dinafem, Barney’s Farm, or Serious Seeds for stable genetics. Pheno hunting might be less necessary if you choose well-stabilized strains.
Hi and welcome! For pain relief, strains high in CBD and balanced THC/CBD ratios are often recommended. Look into strains like ACDC, Harlequin, or Cannatonic.

For indoor growing, make sure you have proper lighting, ventilation, and temperature control. Keep your grow area clean to avoid pests and mold.

Nutrient-wise, start with a good base nutrient mix and adjust as your plants grow. Many growers find success with nutrient lines like General Hydroponics or FoxFarm.

Excited to see your progress and happy growing! 🌱

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
General Hydroponics is the USA brand, for Europe they are made and sold by Terra Aquatica.

LG/

Good thread, alot of opinions obviously.

Dutch Passion- Durban Poison

Sensi or Serious, Barney's as so.eone mentioned all options. I do t have experience with them tho.

Here's why- comes in fem, ships from Eu or Eu seedbank (I assume), very stable.

Most US stuff had not been stabilized. Not that it's bad, but some of the early Dutch strains have been stabilized over many gens.
Durban poison comes out consistent.

Dna/Reserva Privada. I'm sure they have outsourced everything, more of a risk, but more modern strains. Know for kush type strains.

Why do they need to be homogenous? And why not just run 1 or 2 plants as someone else suggested?

If shipping from UK is ok, also check out Conoisseur Genetics. He has fems, just ask him what is the most stabilized/consistent/least phenotypic variation.

Oh and Verdant Green from RGS. Check his gear out.

Last edited:

jonathan77

It all seems totally irrelevant. The idea of looking for stability is more for cannabis breeding. If you must however……. Go for indica dominant crosses of American genetics. Th seeds , sensi seeds .

CharlesU Farley

Afaic, the formatting of your post was absolutely _perfect_. I knew who you were responding to and more importantly, exactly what you were responding to.

There are many, _many_ people on this forum who post shit, with no quote or reference to what the responding to, so I have absolutely no idea who, or what, they're responding to.

kro-magnon

Veteran

I don't understand why you're scared to order seeds from seedbanks in the EU, your country is part of the 27 european countries who agreed to abolish borders within the limit of the EU for merchandises. If your order comes from Spain it won't pass through a border so no custom and even from the UK I doubt they will control the letter. I order often from Attitude and I live in France, I never had any problem to get my order. The case you've seen maybe the number of seeds was huge so obviously for a big illegal grow. But no one care of a small gardener who order a few dozens of seeds. Is there some legal shop who sell collectible cannabis seeds in your country ? If it's yes you don't break any law by ordering them in another place than your local shop and the absolute worst case would be you being forced to pay an import tax, but again very unlikely to happen. Don't get too paranoid about those little seeds, the laws in EU have evolved today and ordering cannabis seeds is 100% legal, as long as you don't germ them of course, at least in my country it's like that.
About cannabis and foul smell, yes there is some abominations who can appear but it's not common, I had maybe 6/7 plants over the years who were stinking so much I could'nt smoke the flowers. I have never smelled the flower you have referenced but the stink can be very intense, I had 2 Jillybean who were smelling like garbage in the summer it was revolting but in the same pack I had one with the most exquisite tutti frutti smell and another who had a real orange smell but not very loud. Those plants are more common in the US than EU and in the selection of breeders I listed you should not encounter some real monsters.
Have you make your choice about the seeds you want or not yet ? I know the amount of info and offerings can be disorienting when someone wants to start a garden.

Dime

Stability

Attachments

• b13seedtrial.jpg
    b13seedtrial.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200924_131214 (2).jpg
    20200924_131214 (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 18

Ankermann

Good thread, alot of opinions obviously.
[...]
Why do they need to be homogenous? And why not just run 1 or 2 plants as someone else suggested?
It all seems totally irrelevant. The idea of looking for stability is more for cannabis breeding.
Homogenity/homozygous (stability as a side effect) because I wanted to get what I buy and not have to do a selection. Especially if I am only planting one or two seeds per strain.
It is not for a homogene canopy, SoG or breeding purposes.
My idea was to first grow three to six different strains to test a variety of different strains and then reduce down to one to two plants/strains (or, when tackeling ACE sativas) that I like while still having a nice stash to fall back to.
I don't understand why you're scared to order seeds from seedbanks in the EU, your country is part of the 27 european countries who agreed to abolish borders within the limit of the EU for merchandises. If your order comes from Spain it won't pass through a border so no custom and even from the UK I doubt they will control the letter. I order often from Attitude and I live in France, I never had any problem to get my order. The case you've seen maybe the number of seeds was huge so obviously for a big illegal grow. But no one care of a small gardener who order a few dozens of seeds.
There seems to be a misunderstanding:
I have no problem with ordering within the EU. Ordering/shipping from outside EU is what I would like to avoid.
I don't know the kind of order from the UK that was destroyed by customs; coming out of a forum for self-supply it is supposed to be a small (<1000? seeds) one.
If I order for 250 € (ouch already) from the US, Canada or even UK, them getting destroyed would just hurt tenfold more at this point.
So there have been success stories UK -> EU (most likely GER, CH or AT), as well as stories of customs seizing and destroying seed orders, referencing explicitly the new law (CannG).

Stability
Looks like homogeneous growth indeed. If all were seedlings, which breeder? B13 is the strain I suppose.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grrr guys!

I think customs for USA is in Köln, which is probably a safer place than Bavaria. I have never had anything seized and I have been ordering seeds from the US pretty often, at least ten times. Customs, police and state attorneys have a problem in proving that you were actively ordering the seeds when there is no invoice inside the parcel/letter. It could just be a prank or gift by someone else. And they most probably wouldn't therefor justify a search of your rooms. So you better put a message inside the money letter that you dont want any paper trail in the seed letter. Most of them don't do it anyway. But I have seen Bavaria and their Cannabislegalisierungsfolgenbegrenzungsgesetz, which is actually unbelievable, overwriting the new freedom with harsher laws. Fuck them. I dont think this is legal. But they don't care, I know. So I understand where you're coming from.

Dime

Homogenity/homozygous (stability as a side effect) because I wanted to get what I buy and not have to do a selection. Especially if I am only planting one or two seeds per strain.
My idea was to first grow three to six different strains to test a variety of different strains and then reduce down to one to two plants/strains (or, when tackeling ACE sativas) that I like while still having a nice stash to fall back to.

I have no problem with ordering within the EU. Ordering/shipping from outside EU is what I would like to avoid.
I don't know the kind of order from the UK that was destroyed by customs; coming out of a forum for self-supply it is supposed to be a small (<1000? seeds) one.
If I order for 250 € (ouch already) from the US, Canada or even UK, them getting destroyed would just hurt tenfold more at this point.
So there have been success stories UK -> EU (most likely GER, CH or AT), as well as stories of customs seizing and destroying seed orders, referencing explicitly the new law (CannG).

Looks like homogeneous growth indeed. If all were seedlings, which breeder? B13 is the strain I suppose.
Hi,yeah it is ,I crossed Blueberry with f13 until it was predictible

LG/

Maybe your looking for seeds from a strain that breeds true?
True breeding in my view is consistent outcomes in progeny or bx.

Another way of saying it would be low phenotypic variation.

I think part of the confusion in here is a lack of clarity of what your looking for. I did wrongly assume it was for canopy/plant size uniformity. So that's on me.

I will say in my experience there are no guarantees from most seeds as far as what you get.

For fems, check out Verdant Green on Real Gorilla Seeds, or message @ojd to see what he has from Conoisseur Genetics.

I've run Verdants Bubba Kush and it's on point. Great indica. Classic but great quality.

Ojd has a ton of fem varieties.

Both will ship from Eu.

Imho most modern stuff will have higher phenotypic variation. But the older stuff might have lower variation. Just my opinion... but I do not think phenotypic variation is bad in this case, as long as all phenotypes are high quality.

Are we talking Sativa, Indica, or polyhybrid?

When you say modern US strains it makes me think polyhybrid. Which can be notoriously high in phenotypic variation. Especially f1s or s1s which can open up the genetic pool instead of isolating it.

kro-magnon

Veteran

OK indeed there was a misunderstanding but I still don't understand the law of your country, it is legal to buy seeds in EU but not outside of it or it's not legal at all ?
If you want to order from Spain(EU) there is a big site who has many seed brands called Alchimia, you can find the main name of the game there or Old school genetics who sells Karma, his own seeds and Lucky Dog (ChemDog brand).

Latest posts

Latest posts