What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for Landrace Hawaiian Sativa

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
DJ SHORT said:
Hawaiian a true classic. There is something special about a good island herb, and Hawaiian is among the best. When properly grown outdoors it has a wonderful and unique bouquet of fruity spice, similar to the sweetness of the fine Thai, but with a kind of tangy taste.

Good Hawaiian herb has always been a devastatingly powerful experience for me. It is very psychedelic and internally focused, contemplative and overpoweringly meditative. A Walk with the King, a Dance with the Queen, and a sunset on the beach! Aah... Hawaiian!
I have tried to equal the Hawaiian experience outdoor on the mainland, and indoors, with no success. Everything I have grown from Hawaiian stock turned out to be nowhere near the quality of the parent stock. This is true for three generations of trials. The product from Hawaiian seed was equal to the best plants grown from mid-quality Colombian stock!

This led me to a hypothesis about Hawaii: that just about any stock grown in Hawaii will turn out to be of unique and relatively high quality. Hawaii just happens to be one of those special places, I suppose.

All breeding attempts with Hawaiian stock were dumped from my garden by 1983. It was a pretty and robust plant though, and also quite productive. Just not all that impressive when grown outside its homeland.

SurfdOut

Veteran
One of the strains I'd like to find is Elephant weed, although it's likely gone. Not sure if it's the same as elephant ear on Maui. My dad said it was on the big island and the north shore in the early 70s. Described it as a huge plant with a strong high. I'm guessing (not to stir up unnecessary controversy) that it was Southeast Asian. Golden Voice from Maui would be another gem. I read Good Gear was working with it and saw posts from Kagyu (Coastal Seeds) showing the finished bud.
Yeah, never see that one in long time the Elephant Ear. Kagyu been growing out those Golden Voice he got from HC before he passed. Good Gear has been working with a Golden Voice cross they got from an old friend on Maui. I sent all my old Hawaiian seeds to Kagyu a few years back as I not into old sats.

Lolo94

Yeah, never see that one in long time the Elephant Ear. Kagyu been growing out those Golden Voice he got from HC before he passed. Good Gear has been working with a Golden Voice cross they got from an old friend on Maui. I sent all my old Hawaiian seeds to Kagyu a few years back as I not into old sats.
Thanks for the info. I'll assume that Elephant weed and Ear are the same. When was the last time you saw it on the island? I originally thought Kagyu got the Golden Voice from Maui.. Based on his photos, it was broader leafed and thicker budded than I'd imagined.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
this is from some book or magazine, I don't know which one. there is elephant ear on the list

legendary strains.jpg

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
from skunk magazine:

-ELEPHANT EAR-

Type: Sativa (hybrid)

Origin: Hawaii

Uniqueness: Wonderfull and rare flavor range that hits you fast and hard, like a locomotive in the forehead, you can forget your own name after a good bongload.

Elephant Ears effects are very visual and happy. The strain features a medium to high cieling. It hits smokers very fast and often with a big rush involving seeing stars and grabbing hold of something for support. This strain features wonderfull flavors, resembling a sharp, overripe mango or pineapple. Legs and munchies are both medium. She makes eating strange food combos a enjoyable experience but doesnt induce munchies as severely as many indicas and hybrids.

Elephant Ear is mostly sativa, although many claim it to be fully sativa. This is a monster, featuring fat wide leaves, and rampant growth.

Lolo94

from skunk magazine:

-ELEPHANT EAR-

Type: Sativa (hybrid)

Origin: Hawaii

Uniqueness: Wonderfull and rare flavor range that hits you fast and hard, like a locomotive in the forehead, you can forget your own name after a good bongload.

Elephant Ears effects are very visual and happy. The strain features a medium to high cieling. It hits smokers very fast and often with a big rush involving seeing stars and grabbing hold of something for support. This strain features wonderfull flavors, resembling a sharp, overripe mango or pineapple. Legs and munchies are both medium. She makes eating strange food combos a enjoyable experience but doesnt induce munchies as severely as many indicas and hybrids.

Elephant Ear is mostly sativa, although many claim it to be fully sativa. This is a monster, featuring fat wide leaves, and rampant growth.
Thanks for the info. So based on the description and flowering time provided, the elephant appears to be a hybrid. Thai x afghani?. Something else I found interesting, was the Swazi Rooibart flowering between 10 and 15 weeks. That's a big spread.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Thanks for the info. So based on the description and flowering time provided, the elephant appears to be a hybrid. Thai x afghani?. Something else I found interesting, was the Swazi Rooibart flowering between 10 and 15 weeks. That's a big spread.
hybrid for sure. we can only speculate what was the make up... it looks like it is completely extinct.. it is pity. I would give it a go :D

you mean on that list? I see swazi is 12 - 15 there.

Lolo94

I stand corrected. That makes more sense. I've yet to see 15 weeks. Mine is usually 12-13 weeks 14 at most. Lower latitude or taking the lights down to 10:30 indoors likely makes a difference.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I've never grown these but nothing else claims to be legit.

MR. GREENGENES 1979 MAUI WOWIE CHERRY BOMB...
Maui Wowie breeding project started in '73. Later that decade, the seeds were taken to California/Oregon and bred there on the mainland for decades, which became Cherry Bomb to differentiate it from the line maintained on the islands of Hawaii

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
One of the strains that was popular at the time was Strawberry Web. It was a medium height hybrid with a nice balanced high that did well in lower Puna. People also grew hash plants but the ones i tried were less dopey than the modern indica strains.
nice. I have strawberry web cross...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
That was an article by Rev in Skunk magazine around 2009-ish
interesting, I thought it is much older. it is pretty accurate... I am growing black viet and malawi gold and I agree with description. only at Durban I grew last summer, I would say it is zero munchies too.

I know they grow Durban at Hawaii. I think that @Wuachuma has durban crossed with Blood strain from Hawaii.

Durban:

full

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Elephant Ears: Grease Monkey x Dogwalker?

Maui Wowie breeding project started in '73. Later that decade, the seeds were taken to California/Oregon and bred there on the mainland for decades, which became Cherry Bomb to differentiate it from the line maintained on the islands of Hawaii

I tried to find any reference for anything legit from Hawaii before 1980. That's all I could find.

Latest posts

Latest posts