What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling CONTINUED...

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
You dont need to turn..

I presume its well mixed already. Keep it medium moist so the bacteria can live and grow. You can pot right before use.

Well, life got in the way as it tends to do.

But as of tonight my soil has been "cooking" for 3 days. :woohoo: It's already starting to smell good.

Now I have some stupid questions-

Do I turn the soil at all? If yes, how often?

How often should I water it? (With plants, it's easy to tell when they need water. With dirt, not so much.)

Should I go ahead and put it into the growbags and cook it in them so I don't disturb anything when I put clones in? Or is it fine to leave it in the bin now, and bag it up right before use?

h.h.

Veteran
Well, life got in the way as it tends to do.

But as of tonight my soil has been "cooking" for 3 days. :woohoo: It's already starting to smell good.

Now I have some stupid questions-

Do I turn the soil at all? If yes, how often?

How often should I water it? (With plants, it's easy to tell when they need water. With dirt, not so much.)

Should I go ahead and put it into the growbags and cook it in them so I don't disturb anything when I put clones in? Or is it fine to leave it in the bin now, and bag it up right before use?
I'm gonna completely contradict Lost, though they are completely right.
You don't need to turn it, and you can pot it just before planting.

I like to turn mine. Just to remix. Make sure it smells good through and through.

It really depends on how you've treated it to that point.
I like to pot up in advance.
As I usually transplant, I make a hole the size of my plug. Sprinkle it with oatmeal. I sprinkle chia over it. It sprouts fast. I then smother it for a day, planting a couple days later.
I think this way I've given the mycelium a head start.

Admittedly stoner science.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
How does one diagnose what his dirt needs and how to fix it?

By listening to what your plants, worms, and microbes tell you your dirt needs.

At least, that's what's been working for me for the past 6 or so years with the same dirt. I've never spent the money to have a soil test.

Feel free to check the RDIRE thread in my sig.

Davesnothere420

Do I have any options where I can add to the soil and start right away. Or are all the options take months long to apply. If there are right away options do they have to be added again and again during the growing season and what are the names of them. Also I'm trying to do light dep this year if that makes a difference so obviously I got to get started right away. Also what size pots should I use for light deps. I was told over 10 to 15 gallons is overkill does anyone else have advice on this. Ideally I'm trying to have a ton of small plants n get a good harvest

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
The symbiotic fungal mycorrhizae will only grow and spread through the medium with plant roots to grow along side.

Mostly the cooking will allow the various decomposing fungi and bacteria to finish breaking down the ammendments rendering them absorbed into the soil humate matrix.

In all likelihood the microbe life will change drastically after the cooking process and once plants are actually placed in it and start to encourage the bacteria they want. Especially if products like great white shark or mykos etc are added on to the plant roots during repotting early on allowing them to grow with the roots as they spread.

Imo use beds over pots.. they do better if their roots can share a huge space..

Over 10 gallons and imo you'll need a 6-10 week veg and a 3' square space per plant or there's no point in the extra soil. Imo 10 gallons is about right if using airpruning fabric pots or air pots. only my opinion though, im not a "guru" of anything :D

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Draw a plan that makes best use of the space and will allow you to tend them. Raised beds are a fairly standard concept, you make a frame out of wood and fill it with soil. I probably wouldnt do beds wider than 4 or 5'.

Ive sadly not done a huge greenhouse build so i cant help you as much as many members on here.

Sounds like awesome fun and i wish you the best with it.

Davesnothere420

By listening to what your plants, worms, and microbes tell you your dirt needs.

At least, that's what's been working for me for the past 6 or so years with the same dirt. I've never spent the money to have a soil test.

Feel free to check the RDIRE thread in my sig.
Where is the link

GreenVino

Just thought i would note to anyone that is not sure about fungi and bacteria int the soil. Please read or listen to the book - The hidden half of nature. Its a great insight for begginers and right through. Helps you understand the terminology (especially as a refresher) has a great story. An excellent listen on the audible app.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My noob advice on biochar: Make your own.

Spend the 41 bucks on some firewood if you cant cut your own for free. Have a campfire with your friends and now you have biochar. Paying to ship ashes hahaha.:laughing:

Or clean out the barbecue.

I agree with making your own but the way to make it is with low oxygen, high temperature. Read the Terra Preta thread.

Ratz is more new school than old school BTW. Still entertaining.

Not an option where I live.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You dont need to turn..

I presume its well mixed already. Keep it medium moist so the bacteria can live and grow. You can pot right before use.

I'm gonna completely contradict Lost, though they are completely right.
You don't need to turn it, and you can pot it just before planting.

I like to turn mine. Just to remix. Make sure it smells good through and through.

It really depends on how you've treated it to that point.
I like to pot up in advance.
As I usually transplant, I make a hole the size of my plug. Sprinkle it with oatmeal. I sprinkle chia over it. It sprouts fast. I then smother it for a day, planting a couple days later.
I think this way I've given the mycelium a head start.

Admittedly stoner science.
Saw this just now.

I ended up turning it over once a weekish for 4 weeks, then put it into 25 gallon fabric pots and let it sit for another 4 weeks. (It smelled really good when I put it into the pots.)

Took my seedlings which were about 6-8" tall and put them in there along with some WOW in the hole, and just watered. And holy cow did they take off. It easily kept pace with my hydro grows from years past.

This hands down the easiest grow I've ever had.

Other than one seedling being overly sensitive to N, I've had to do nothing other than water. Unfortunately, out of my 8 seedlings, 5 were male. So I've got 3 full sized ladies doing their thing right now heading into week 4. I've also got 3 little itty bitty clones that I threw in just to see what they'd do with zero veg time. So far, not much.

I'm thinking that because I used 25 gallon pots, I can get away with amending the soil every other grow. And then test probably once a year. Only time will tell because I've never done this before (grown in organic soil).

h.h.

Veteran
Not an option where I live.

I ended up buying biochar.
I excuse it by figuring that they can make it cleaner than I can. Better technology.
Less fire danger.

Its not something I have to replace consistently.

What I received was better quality than I could probably produce.
Nice small pieces.
It would take me a lot of smashing and I'd end up with a lot of dust.

You may find it being produced locally.

I added marine char. Something I'd have to ship, even if I made it.

QQNPK

Just thought i would note to anyone that is not sure about fungi and bacteria int the soil. Please read or listen to the book - The hidden half of nature. Its a great insight for begginers and right through. Helps you understand the terminology (especially as a refresher) has a great story. An excellent listen on the audible app.

Thanks for the tip i just downloaded the audible app and theres a offer you can try premium for 30 days and get a free book so this one was for free !:tiphat:

thecosmicgoat

I'm looking for some advice on locally sourced materials. I live coastal and have access to beaches of mussel and various other shells. Not oyster shells though. I can scavenge crabs shells from another beach, and have fresh bull and giant kelp wash up daily.
On logging roads near by are several open gravel pits. Used for blast rock on roadways.
Are any of these good options for soil amendments? If so how can I prepare them for used in my garden.

Latest posts

Latest posts