What's new

Leetdood's growing struggles

leetdood

I've been posting a bit on Overgrow, and I though fuck it, let's check out ICMag where all the old heads hang out. Not gonna replicate what I've posted so far, but I up potted Stardawg Corey last night and today is day 1 flower. Enjoy!

20231108_225651.jpg

leetdood

So, there's a reason I call my grow log "growing struggles." The reality is growing plants is hard and most of us will make what I would call "shameful mistakes" and maybe don't show those off or post them on forums or Instagram. But this creates a false perception where your Instagram reel is full of beautiful plants and nobody struggling like in real life. I personally make a lot of successes but also a lot of mistakes and I like to show the full picture.

Anyway, my 8x4 flower tent on day 2. Overcrowded eh? Just added the trellis.

20231110_205421.jpg

20231110_205426.jpg

20231110_205442.jpg

leetdood

20231112_210228.jpg

Spray station... treating for thrips. Sulfur and purecrop1 in the spray bottle pictured. Best to use gloves and glasses.

Sprayed all plants that are in veg and aren't in domes

Will continue treating and treat the ones in domes as needed. The sulfur can burn the smaller plants in domes

Pictured plant looks shitty cause i cut it back very drastically so only small shitty shoots are left, but they're doing a good job growing out and settling into the bigger pot. It's the giant mystery skunk bagseed male

20231013_193202.jpg

Giant male referenced. Older picture.

leetdood

20231113_195818.jpg
20231113_204228.jpg
20231113_212238.jpg

Transplanted 16 of 17 clones I took Oct 16. I've been busy setting up everything else and cleaning and so forth but I got to it today. The 17th is unfortunately not very rooted so I'm giving it more time.

The cultivar is called Highway Robbery. It is i95 x chimera #3 from Trichome Orchards, who is a friend. I have six phenos going but my favorite in veg is #5 which I've sent to several people to test out. They are all part of my flower run but it's overcrowded in there.

Here's #5

20231105_184833.jpg

leetdood

I have started giving irene, Tahoe, chem d plain water in flower because I am noticing some issues/possible excess. They are in 1 gal, 3 gal, 1 gal, respectively and were also recently transplanted. So they may have a buildup in the soil.

Similar in chem d in veg, and the lighting is pretty low intensity there so I have switched veg to plain water for now also.

Rest are getting the standard feed. Picked up my parcel of 8lb calcium nitrate and 8lb master blend bloom (0-12-24) today. I guess customs opened the parcel up and had a look.

fnaf

I've been posting a bit on Overgrow, and I though fuck it, let's check out ICMag where all the old heads hang out. Not gonna replicate what I've posted so far, but I up potted Stardawg Corey last night and today is day 1 flower. Enjoy! basketball stars
View attachment 18916377
Your work is great. I'm very interested in it. Does this type of crop need special temperature conditions?

Last edited:

leetdood

Day 25, I’ll try and get better pictures, but here’s one of a plant thats doing super nicely

20231203_121005
20231203_1210052448×3264 364 KB

That’s a mystery skunk bagseed

Chem d and rez ecsd are looking overfed, rez ecsd cause it started bottom feeding itself due to the floor being uneven and all water flowing to its corner for the feeder roots to suck up I assume.

One of my mystery skunk bagseed couldn’t take the feed, I switched to water but pretty sure it’s gonna burn to a crisp

I might have mentioned that I don’t want the finicky or needy plants hunted from seed anyway so that’s life, the plants that crush are the ones I’m looking for

DumbleJum

It was like a research. Of course there were many difficulties. I also tried to grow many vegetables and fruits. But they did not grow well and did not produce good fruit. I gradually felt discouraged.

leetdood

It was like a research. Of course there were many difficulties. I also tried to grow many vegetables and fruits. But they did not grow well and did not produce good fruit. I gradually felt discouraged.

I will tell you, of course it feels discouraging. But always stick with it!!

4b0f0444803f895334e2cdd7f85913ec4b486937.jpeg

for example, i found out recently from @dank.frank that @MOneYMiKe took 7-8 years to make the pinnacle of genetics that is i95!!
Pictured is my favorite plant from seed, i95 x chimera 3. I love this plant but like money I do not want to settle for what I have, but try and see what improvements or changes are possible. My friend is sending me for example Chem D bx4 x i95 F2s, 150 to run out. I hit this plant with a Motorbreath 15 x (Motorbreath x Wedding Crasher) male and now have a couple hundred of that to run out also. Furthermore, I will try and self this plant as soon as I can- my garden is still brutal and I am catching up. I had hernia repair surgery start of May and I was laid up for 6-7 weeks and I had to rebuild all my routines, nurse dying and pest laden plants, and figure out what the hell to do. But my friend

the little train that could, was not fast and strong or talented except in one way

it never stopped. it got to where it was going. because it never stopped.

leetdood

hiro4 before flower.jpeg

here you can see Highway Robbery #4 (i95 x chimera 3) before i put it in 3 days late to the small tent (40x40") flower run under the 240W led light.

hiro4 day 9 flower profile.jpeg

hiro4 day 9 flower closeup.jpeg

here you can see it at day 9 with ipm applied and lower growth/light deprived nodes removed/cleaned up. I really love this plant so I plan to see how it does under the 240W led and then hopefully do a nice test wash with it. It smokes me disabled so I definitely wanted to verify that it will do that consistently ;)

You can see it came out like a broad leaf kush pheno, which is kinda hilarious because the pollen donor (chimera 3) typically has 3x stretch. Looks like that rolled over to 0x 😂

Anyway as struggles were mentioned. I do this update mainly to mention: a HUGE HUGE HUGE struggle recently with so many plants, clones, and my mobility problems, and my small space and me walking the downstairs neighbour dog in the woods/train tracks and not changing when i got home...

pests abound! i had thrips already but now two spot showed up! which is just like, a huge pain in the butt with how behind I was! I was laid up for 6-7 weeks immobile and recovering 90% of the time and half my flower run died and I lost couple or three mothers, among with some seedlings. All my plants were **majorly neglected**. This is to emphasize that I needed solutions i could utilize without say, having to spray 100 plus plants with ipm twice a week. That's back breaking work and I am not in full shape yet! Plus spinosad, for example, has to be "imported" from the united states as it is not available for consumer purchase in Canada and you need a license or whatnot. A good bottle of Conserve costs 180 USD not to mention the reshipping cost. Purecrop1 isn't cheap either. Some stuff is cheap like dr bronners castile soap or micronized sulfur. But as I run my grow on a shoestring budget (I live on disability and am in debt and housing costs and food costs keep rising) I have to try and turn things around in a way that makes sense.

This is a long winded way to say, I figured out that soil predators and some other benefical bugs can live quite a while and hunt down the pests for you, instead of you having to do all the work to cover every square inch.

This is what I applied: hopefully offsite links are OK.

Applied 1,000 the day after I got them. Supposed to release same day but I do my best. Came in sawdust in a shaker bottle. Clustered the plants after transplanting 99% of them, shook out a healthy amount on all of them, but especially the plant I posted as it was being flowered out and had an unacceptable number of two spot spider mites building up. After I was done I left the tube and paper (shaker pill bottle comes with paper to block hole in cap initially) and cap on the media in the pot. 1,000 is supposed to be overkill but it was only 10 dollars more than 500. They do require over 50% humidity but they can survive for a long while and feed on a variety of mites and pollen. Some mites apparently "over winter" aka hide out and come back a while later, these predators apparently can do the same. First time ordering them but very hopeful. Initial impression is they are working. Less visual decline in plant health and less visible damage. It's only been 2 days but like I said, 1,000 is overkill. My whole place is 15x30' at best, probably smaller.

Applied 2 days after I got them. Instructions say they can be held for a week. Had a liter so applied 5-15 ml on most pots, depending on size. Applied more to HiRo4 plants because they're my favorites 😍 but also a ONYCD 3.0 lady I've got in a 3 gallon. I had previously mixed in these:

But a) i did not realize they were still alive and should be mainly applied on the surface, and not just mixed into potting media and b) they are mainly effective against only thrips and are more surface-dwelling than the stratiolaelaps scimitus. So they are very effective but I worry about how long lived they are with transplants, watering, dryoff, the rough treatment of that top surface of the medium basically. But when I mixed them in and transplanted some really beat-up clones that i had kept in trays for 10-12 weeks that were looking all sad and having pest build up, they were sooo much visibly better than all my other plants. They did get special care under the 240W led but there was an undeniable effect from the long-term predating of the gillespiei. Problem is they only attacked thrips and were not applied to all my plants. So again, consistent application and understanding your bug propagation mechanics / treatment products seems very important for long term cultivation of a large garden. I'm still learning, hence the "growing struggles"

leetdood

20240924_004256.jpg

Aliendog #2 made it through the pest and body wars

2 months ago, i got 3 snips from @Kushking902

20240924_004359.jpg

Of this #2 pheno (3 phenos, 3 each)

Only one survived
I was so busy, so it got a minimum of care only, and did not root for a month or longer!

But,

Someone (teh) once told me
If you dont practice keeping plants alive when you can
Then when you need to, you wont have the skills

Thats why i always try and nurse plants back. They could look on the verge of death! But alive is alive, and dead is dead.

This plant is alive. 🙂

Kushking is doing a preservation run on overgrow with the 3 ladies. But as I've mentioned over there. My Astro Dawg (alien dawg (SIC) lemon fuel f1 cut x tahoe alien) plant might be a male so that is a quick and easy 3 way backcross producing regular seed. If it's a lady, still on the to do list but I'm yet to reverse any plants. My first reversal will probably be HiRo4. But I plan to cross plants whether the crosses will be feminized or regular. I only care about progeny, testing, and selection. Not gender.

Overall, just wanted to say, I've had cuttings or clones like this one, underdog og (loompas headband) and many others look like total garbage at that low point before im able to get the growth and environment just right. Let me see if I can find my pic of my GMO clone when it almost died from when I got it.

20230703_165732.jpg

leetdood

And as a clear contrast

Here's pics I took yesterday of gmo @ 14 days flower. From that horrible sickly clone above, came better plants.

Taking care of mother stock is very important but you can't undo what has happened, especially before you received it. Only do better.

Attachments

• 20240922_233740.jpg
    20240922_233740.jpg
    992.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240922_233755.jpg
    20240922_233755.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 1

All Cacti Are Beautiful

420club
What an awesome thread to stumble upon! I was actually reading through your thread on OG, came here to check what's new and saw you posted here too.

i95 is one of the strains I'm very excited about to try, same with some outcrosses that are looking great. There was an auction with some I95 f4 recently but it went slightly over my broke ass budget 😅

I didn't know much about the story behind it so very nice to see @MOneYMiKe show up. 5 years of work takes some dedication and it definitely shows.

Looks good brother
And yes there’s always room for improvement
Keep it up my friend
It actually took 5 years to get the line where I was happy with the outcome
I knew/know Corey stardawg very well and loved og at the time
Blessings

That Highway Robbery (i95 x chimera #3) is looking promising.

Some good taste you have, GMO, STARDOG/DAWG,... I like 👍

leetdood

What an awesome thread to stumble upon! I was actually reading through your thread on OG, came here to check what's new and saw you posted here too.

Some good taste you have, GMO, STARDOG/DAWG,... I like 👍
Thank you.

I try and share my issues, methods, and solutions because that's always helped me a lot reading the info from others on discord or the forums.

Right now the flower I've liked the most, might forget some as I need to re run a lot and do better and smoke test more, in no particular order

Sunset Sherb
Highway Robbery #4
Limed Orange (black lime bubba x mac stomper by DannyTerpentine)
Apples & Bananas
Stardawg (grew and smoked Corey, bought and smoked BoxHot infused Guava blunts)
Tahoe OG
Irene Kush
Bubba Kush (matt berger cut)
Chem D (but I have been horrible at running it so far.. gonna try and grab 91 and 4 too)
Strawberry Gary
HP13 (not fully verified. Traces back to a winner of the stoney auctions, so the NY stoney circle)
Underdog OG (LHB) grew this seeded, and wow. Lemon fuel loudness, fucking goddamn.
Strawberry Gary zepilot cut (I only grew a small amount of this but it seemed like, actually really good daytime smoke? Basically Gary Payton x (mimosa x c&c f2)[red pop pheno]

And really just trying to find what's most potent and what works for me and what I like growing. Lots stuff to go through.

I mentioned for example on overgrow that I wanted to f2 my bodhi Monarch at some point, with ghost og 👻 in there if possible. Not anytime soon but Louie 13 x 88g13hp seems full of potential and that pack sold out pretty much immediately. Bodhi retired the male too.

So i just wanna see what actually really smokes the best... and share how I do it. Blessings 🙌