What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED and BUD QUALITY

SaveTheBrains

I was looking at a Sanlight Evo but any recommendations are more than welcome. The growshop where I go has plenty of options, Gavita etc. Thinking of this one for the 152x152x225 sativa tent. Costs around 600€ with the dimmer etc but I've heard only good about these.
This supposed to be from the best around. Many people have them and they kicking asses.

I Use one module of that Sanlight is 50 watt has for the far red and green but I prefer a mixure of led s the Hlg boards , with Sanlight and with a cob 3500k .

What I have noticed is the sanlight colours the plants red pinkish alot more from others leds I use

What has surprising Quality and super cheap and seems Haze to like it alot and is not much talked is this black cobs makes very dense flowers and no colouring .

DSC02610_result.jpg

Rocket Soul

This supposed to be from the best around. Many people have them and they kicking asses.

I Use one module of that Sanlight is 50 watt has for the far red and green but I prefer a mixure of led s the Hlg boards , with Sanlight and with a cob 3500k .

What I have noticed is the sanlight colours the plants red pinkish alot more from others leds I use

What has surprising Quality and super cheap and seems Haze to like it alot and is not much talked is this black cobs makes very dense flowers and no colouring .

View attachment 19078207
Its one of the few brands that doesnt seem to have their production in China. They also work very closely with osram and have access to their best diodes.

SaveTheBrains

Its one of the few brands that doesnt seem to have their production in China. They also work very closely with osram and have access to their best diodes.
Yeah they are and I saw very good results., Is very good choice and they have crazy life span 100000 hours plus they can be repaired. Is very good value for money .

Reactions: Boo

Rocket Soul

Yeah they are and I saw very good results., Is very good choice and they have crazy life span 100000 hours plus they can be repaired. Is very good value for money .
That sounds very good but i suspect too good to be true. Generally these numbers, lm70 and such, are based on lab tests and diode lifespann is actually shorter in real life in the more rough environment of a grow space. At least the few real life tests ive seen support faster deterioration than indicated by diode manufacturers and youre likely to have a power source failure sooner than 100000 hours. But i guess in the end we will see in 15-20 years how many are still using the same 2024 bought light.

But i fully agree that Sanlight would probably be one of the top quality and durability lights on the market, its just that i wont believe 100000 hours until i see it.

SaveTheBrains

That sounds very good but i suspect too good to be true. Generally these numbers, lm70 and such, are based on lab tests and diode lifespann is actually shorter in real life in the more rough environment of a grow space. At least the few real life tests ive seen support faster deterioration than indicated by diode manufacturers and youre likely to have a power source failure sooner than 100000 hours. But i guess in the end we will see in 15-20 years how many are still using the same 2024 bought light.

But i fully agree that Sanlight would probably be one of the top quality and durability lights on the market, its just that i wont believe 100000 hours until i see it.
I totally agree in that ,manufactures put out the life spam of their leds and boards and others dont claim so long hlg is 50000 for example . it matters also how the set up is tuned to run the cheap led usually run like a tuned car at the max .
Also you can repair them but yeah I agree time will say what is what we just need to wait .

Rocket Soul

I totally agree in that ,manufactures put out the life spam of their leds and boards and others dont claim so long hlg is 50000 for example . it matters also how the set up is tuned to run the cheap led usually run like a tuned car at the max .
Also you can repair them but yeah I agree time will say what is what we just need to wait .

Dug out the migro tests, about 5% loss for 6000 hours. Though im not crazy about Migros test methodology i do appreciate one part of the approach: its based on at cannopy measurements so quite relevant and nice to have an independent measure from the manufacturer. The test run here is not in a damp grow environment and very unlikely to suffer other stuff going on in a grow for example sulfur spray thay is very damaging to the diode. Its hard to extrapolate numbers; next 6000 hours will it drop from 95 to 90% or should we expect a 5% drop in the remaining 95%? Is it 95 - 5 or 0.95*0.95? We dont know.
Since his measurements are driver included can we actually make sure its only the diode or could there be a loss of driver efficiency aswell? We simply wont know but there seems to be a fair possibility that the complete package of a led light will lose output faster than the topline number manufacturer quote from the datasheet.

What we can make out is that temps seem to be very relevant: hottest running light lose output faster. Nowadays people seem to shun active cooling cause historically a light that had a fan included would burn out if the fan fails. But you may actually get an advantage in lifetime by just having some air move over your heatsink.

Also generally these output graphs are done running the diode at nominal and all these light had current over nominal, at least the qb would be 120mA while samsung tests are 65mA.
But 100000h seems a lot. And very easy to say when you know that most grows lights will be out of use before. Its hard for people to stay growing with the same light for that much time: you either get the urge to buy a new light just because; most will either stopp growing after some years or cannot resist the urge to get something new a few years down the line. So no matter how you turn it its going to be very improbable that there are many lights in use after that much time.

Rocket Soul

I always ask a question?this vid chart for sativa o indica ? Which strains? Coco o hydro ?
Vpd is for all plants, not specific strains or grow media. It is how temps and rh combine to create transpiration; which key for nute uptake.
Though i advice to not use it as some kinda 10 commandment thing. If your led plant doesn't have a good posture; erect leaves point outwards/upwards have a look at the vpd chart and try to adjust your climate towards the ideal zone for your growth stage. Continue until your happy with how it grows and can see a nice fat leaf boner on the leaves. Your pics show happy plants to me so dont change it just cause of a chart.
Vpdchart.com
For leds the leaf temp is usually around 0 or -1C than ambient

SaveTheBrains

Dug out the migro tests, about 5% loss for 6000 hours. Though im not crazy about Migros test methodology i do appreciate one part of the approach: its based on at cannopy measurements so quite relevant and nice to have an independent measure from the manufacturer. The test run here is not in a damp grow environment and very unlikely to suffer other stuff going on in a grow for example sulfur spray thay is very damaging to the diode. Its hard to extrapolate numbers; next 6000 hours will it drop from 95 to 90% or should we expect a 5% drop in the remaining 95%? Is it 95 - 5 or 0.95*0.95? We dont know.
Since his measurements are driver included can we actually make sure its only the diode or could there be a loss of driver efficiency aswell? We simply wont know but there seems to be a fair possibility that the complete package of a led light will lose output faster than the topline number manufacturer quote from the datasheet.

What we can make out is that temps seem to be very relevant: hottest running light lose output faster. Nowadays people seem to shun active cooling cause historically a light that had a fan included would burn out if the fan fails. But you may actually get an advantage in lifetime by just having some air move over your heatsink.

Also generally these output graphs are done running the diode at nominal and all these light had current over nominal, at least the qb would be 120mA while samsung tests are 65mA.
But 100000h seems a lot. And very easy to say when you know that most grows lights will be out of use before. Its hard for people to stay growing with the same light for that much time: you either get the urge to buy a new light just because; most will either stopp growing after some years or cannot resist the urge to get something new a few years down the line. So no matter how you turn it its going to be very improbable that there are many lights in use after that much time.

That is a good points made and thanks for sharing I agree with you.

I dint like Migro approach either for one reason only that he is a salesman and not a grower .
The result publishes are always benefiting someone in specific way something like corona statistics :LOL:.

He has the screen on in the HLG, is not needed or manufactures recommends. Why he has it ? cause effect the results and he knows it . Also in what wattage he runs them is very crucial this also affect the temperatures.
Hlg has 288 diodes , from manufacture consumes around 135 watt and at max dim is approximately 163 watt. His cob he runs at 100 watt at max power end I run the same at 65 watt .

So this is tailor made to justify the loss at a cob led that is operated at the max of his capacity

low wattage low heat I run them low and I have alot of lights to counter the intensity with out squeezing them at max , I also noticed that the plants likes it more that way 2 sources of light instead one that gives the strength of two .