What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED and BUD QUALITY

JKD

Veteran
This is an excerpt from:
“Spectral characteristics of lamp types for plant biology”
March 2013
Jacob A. Nelson and Bruce Bugbee
Crop Physiology Laboratory, Utah State University, Logan, UT

Ties in with what you’re saying @Ca++

“The ratio of YPF to PPF ranges from 0.89 to 0.91 for most light sources. Higher values for this ratio (0.95; HPS lamps) indicate that plant growth might be slightly better than the PPF as measured by a standard quantum sensor.”

I Care

When looking at hps replacement leds: its good to have in mind that what they are trying to copy is how a hps looks to the human eye, not to a plant. While this would be a decent flower supplement it wont give the same spectrum as a plant sees it.
it isn’t a hort bulb so there’s no info on spectrum. be a good answer if any potted plants have to come inside because of cold weather

it looks amazing and it’s harder on the eyes than the full spectrum LED. even felt a bit different on the back of the hand
IMG_0944.jpeg

still trying to come up with ideas for a suspension rig

Ca++

Looks like wide amber. There are Amber LEDs from many sources, centered around 595nm iirc. Usually a single colour LED, only does that colour. In amber though, many offer a wider band amber. Still centered on the same colour, but dipping into the colours each side a little further. What they don't tend to do is any blue. These amber lights kinda have a purpose. Some places insist that outside lights use this colour, or rather, don't use any blue. The blue light has an effect on nature. The disturbance to animals being the reason behind regulations demanding them. Demand leads to production, and the people settling these regs, can basically see the HPS made the animals happier. While we remain happy enough to put up with it. Decision made.

They have found there way into decorative lamps

Edit: My bad, It's 590nm and actually Narrow band amber. They even abbreviate it to NBA. 1650-2000K

Edit: This is comparable to the low pressure sodium perhaps. It was a narrow band of amber, until they pumped up the pressure. Old tech now, but did 220lm/w in the bigger sizes. Every street light here likely had one in the 70s.
20220830_185702.jpg
That was a couple of weeks before it failed. The dawn till dusk sensor has stuck on. It probably wouldn't restrike, and has faded to the red. I had to get a pic. Right? :)

The LPS (sox) grew very stretched plants. It found use in supplimental lighting, but even that didn't catch on. I think I had a 36w which was pretty big. So even with the 180lm/w or so mine produced, it was still behind a 70w HPS. About 15" long though. It's been a while, so some numbers will be off. It was big though, to do not a lot, except elongated growth.

Last edited:

xtsho

I'm still running the 600 watt HPS in the flower tent out in the garage for indoor grow over the winter. It's an unheated garage and the heat from the HID is not a problem that time of the year. In fact I have a heater in the tent that comes on at lights out. Nothing but quality bud. Could it be better with LED? I don't care. I put plants in the tent, grow them, harvest them, dry them, and smoke them. I don't give a damn about charts, PAR, or whatever people are measuring these days.

I also have an LED in the veg tent but I'm switching it out and going back to my 4 foot 4 bulb HO T5 fixture because it does a better job than the LED in veg. It's not the best LED just a 100 watt Vivosun. It works but the T5 works better.

I still have a magnetic 1000 watt HPS ballast that I'm thinking of using this winter in the 4x4 flower tent as well. I have a never used 1000 watt Eye Hortilux bulb a friend gave me. That's money in a 4x4 if you can control the heat which I can do. I'll definitely end up with killer Top Shelf flower.

:smokeit:

johnnyla

Veteran
What if I told you you could buy an HPS or CMH complete for $100 and set it and forget it. Not talk about lights for the rest of your life and maybe talk about smoking weed and the taste and high and not yields and PPD and lab tests . Also 90%+++ of you ain’t dialing it in right so the weed sucks. Hahahahahahahahaha.

PS my next Ted talk is about the sun being even better than an HPS. Here are my sun grown midz .

Attachments

• IMG_7478.jpeg
    IMG_7478.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

Hiddenjems

I'm still running the 600 watt HPS in the flower tent out in the garage for indoor grow over the winter. It's an unheated garage and the heat from the HID is not a problem that time of the year. In fact I have a heater in the tent that comes on at lights out. Nothing but quality bud. Could it be better with LED? I don't care. I put plants in the tent, grow them, harvest them, dry them, and smoke them. I don't give a damn about charts, PAR, or whatever people are measuring these days.

I also have an LED in the veg tent but I'm switching it out and going back to my 4 foot 4 bulb HO T5 fixture because it does a better job than the LED in veg. It's not the best LED just a 100 watt Vivosun. It works but the T5 works better.

I still have a magnetic 1000 watt HPS ballast that I'm thinking of using this winter in the 4x4 flower tent as well. I have a never used 1000 watt Eye Hortilux bulb a friend gave me. That's money in a 4x4 if you can control the heat which I can do. I'll definitely end up with killer Top Shelf flower.

:smokeit:
I used a light meter to test my magnetic 1000w ballast. It performed about like my 600’s turned up 15% and not close to a digital 1000w ballast on the highest setting.

It’s kind of impossible to tell with your eyes, but the yield that light kept getting was way off my other 1000 watters so I tested it.

I Care

I actually had zero faith in LED until I grew some flower with my XS2500pro and it came out sticky. I got about .1 gpw at best on the first run though.
IMG_0130.jpeg

i should be able to extend my rations at the desired rate of consumption and generosity
with the same rig with one pot as simply extension of auxiliary tent volume
IMG_0871.jpeg

Ca++

I used a light meter to test my magnetic 1000w ballast. It performed about like my 600’s turned up 15% and not close to a digital 1000w ballast on the highest setting.

It’s kind of impossible to tell with your eyes, but the yield that light kept getting was way off my other 1000 watters so I tested it.
I have had magnetics loose output. 2 out of 6 did it, to an equal amount. Maybe half the light gone, but if was only when they ended up side by side, that a dull area in the room became glaringly obvious.
Took them out of service. Got a store room all moved around like the upturned cups game over the next year. Had to test half a dozen to find them, but they had righted themselves. I couldn't find them.
They had been found defective in the room by swapping bits and locations. Then looked at but I couldn't see the problem on the bench. They were broke, then not broke. Magnetised?

Lamps are obviously a service item. We don't usually look at ballasts that way, but I have heard of working drivers being swapped.

I Care

I have had magnetics loose output. 2 out of 6 did it, to an equal amount. Maybe half the light gone, but if was only when they ended up side by side, that a dull area in the room became glaringly obvious.
Took them out of service. Got a store room all moved around like the upturned cups game over the next year. Had to test half a dozen to find them, but they had righted themselves. I couldn't find them.
They had been found defective in the room by swapping bits and locations. Then looked at but I couldn't see the problem on the bench. They were broke, then not broke. Magnetised?

Lamps are obviously a service item. We don't usually look at ballasts that way, but I have heard of working drivers being swapped.
I talked to a grow shop owner that said he used to repair magnetic ballasts with parts that were readily available. he seems like he was digging pretty deep into his memory for that one

Ca++

What if I told you you could buy an HPS or CMH complete for $100 and set it and forget it. Not talk about lights for the rest of your life and maybe talk about smoking weed and the taste and high and not yields and PPD and lab tests . Also 90%+++ of you ain’t dialing it in right so the weed sucks. Hahahahahahahahaha.

PS my next Ted talk is about the sun being even better than an HPS. Here are my sun grown midz .
What if I told you, you can just order weed off the internet. So you never need to grow again. Would that be better.

The majority of us here enjoy growing. Some sites do spend most of the time talking about consumption. This just isn't the main focus of people here though. Which makes this place what it is. Really good.

Here we have a perfectly good discussion topic. LED & Bud quality. If you want to sway the forum in another direction, then bombing this topic isn't the way. That just kills the mood. Instead, find and start quality based threads, and see where it goes. Add to the fabric of life, with threads people want to join in with. Just shutting down stuff you don't like, will leave you with nothing. It's trolling. Which is how you wrapped up really, with your extended laugh at nobody in particular, that could be taken personally by anybody that cared to. Just shutting down the conversation, and annoying people.

You suck dood, but you might still learn to make good.

Ca++

I talked to a grow shop owner that said he used to repair magnetic ballasts with parts that were readily available. he seems like he was digging pretty deep into his memory for that one
Oh yeah, you can still get all the bits. Much of which is pretty standard in it's format. I can list the common faults. Burnt IEC sockets. Burnt loose connections at the ballast. Weakening igniters, not able to work with longer cable runs, or lamps needing higher strike voltage. Rarely would we know the caps have failed, but older ones tend to test as bad. Effecting the local power distribution, and metering. The ballasts seem to last a long time if kept right, but can develop some bad vibration if the laminations start to separate. Or quite often people drop the whole driver (containing ballast/igniter/caps) on to the plug. Smashing it.
The ballast can get so hot, that testing if it will light a match is a valid. Some compacts, placed on the floor, may stick to plastic carpets.

Some of these qualities won't be missed :)

johnnyla

Veteran
What if I told you, you can just order weed off the internet. So you never need to grow again. Would that be better.

The majority of us here enjoy growing. Some sites do spend most of the time talking about consumption. This just isn't the main focus of people here though. Which makes this place what it is. Really good.

Here we have a perfectly good discussion topic. LED & Bud quality. If you want to sway the forum in another direction, then bombing this topic isn't the way. That just kills the mood. Instead, find and start quality based threads, and see where it goes. Add to the fabric of life, with threads people want to join in with. Just shutting down stuff you don't like, will leave you with nothing. It's trolling. Which is how you wrapped up really, with your extended laugh at nobody in particular, that could be taken personally by anybody that cared to. Just shutting down the conversation, and annoying people.

So no negative discussion about led here got it. So it’s either all marketing hype, bots taking to each other, or you are the asshole who can’t handle someone calling making a valid point.

johnnyla

Veteran

I suck? Dude you are fng retahded af questioning wether led is better than the sun. Retahd of the year! 😂😂😂☠️☠️☠️

Attachments

• IMG_7570.png
    IMG_7570.png
    305.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Latest posts