What's new

LA To Rush Vote on Medical Pot Law

vta

Veteran
LA City Council To Rush Vote on Medical Pot Law

By John Hoeffel
Source: Los Angeles Times

medical Los Angeles -- With its moratorium on new medical marijuana dispensaries declared unlawful, the Los Angeles City Council is now poised to act quickly on a strict ordinance that it has struggled with fitfully for more than two years.

On Tuesday, the city attorney's office delivered a draft that some members want the council to take up within a week. The sudden acceleration stems from a Superior Court ruling Monday that left the city unable to enforce its ban and derailed its four-month-old drive to shut down new dispensaries.

"We painted ourselves into a very tough position and now we act," said Councilman Ed Reyes, who has overseen the drawn-out effort to write an ordinance. "If we can do this Tuesday, I think we'll be OK."

The city's failure to pass an ordinance or enforce its moratorium allowed the number of dispensaries to explode. There are now hundreds in the city, by most estimates, and new ones continue to open almost weekly. Neighborhood activists have angrily complained that the council has lost control. The proposed ordinance contains provisions that could make it one of the most restrictive in the state.

Under the latest proposal, most dispensaries would be required to close immediately and could not apply to reopen for six months. The 186 dispensaries that registered with the city when it passed its moratorium in 2007 would be allowed to remain open for six months, but then would have to meet the ordinance's requirements.

The ordinance could effectively outlaw most dispensaries in the city by prohibiting sales of medical marijuana. Both City Atty. Carmen Trutanich and Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley maintain that state law does not allow over-the-counter sales, though they say collectives owned by the members are allowed to recoup their expenses. Dispensary operators say the sales, usually in 1/8 -ounce increments, are meant to cover their operating costs.

Council members have become increasingly frustrated with dispensaries flagrantly violating the ban and the state's requirement that they operate as collectively-run nonprofits.

Some of the council members most involved in the issue have begun to press for the tough measure.

"We are going to ban sales," said Councilman Dennis Zine, who said he has discussed the issue with colleagues. "The profit margin is what's gotten them going. They're not in there to help people, they're in there to make money."

Councilman Jose Huizar, however, said he was studying all the relevant court cases to try to decide whether to ban sales, a complicated and contentious issue that has contributed to the council's extended deliberations.

No other city or county appears to have tried to directly restrict sales, although some require collectives to maintain detailed records to prove their nonprofit status.

Yamileth Bolanos, who runs Pure Life Alternative Wellness Center and is president of the Greater Los Angeles Collective Alliance, said dispensary operators were stunned at the sudden turn of events.

"I understand that they are going to try to rush [the ordinance] through, but it doesn't work for us. Essentially, it's just going to wipe us out," said Bolanos, whose group of 54 dispensaries has worked with the council for many months to try to reach a compromise. "This is a very unfair thing to us."

The ordinance requires collectives to keep records on members and suppliers and to make them available to police, which operators fear could leave them vulnerable to federal prosecution even though the Justice Department on Monday formally told its prosecutors not to pursue medical marijuana users and dispensaries that follow state law.

The draft ordinance also adds a provision that requires collectives to notify council members and neighborhood councils of their plans to open, and another that bars anyone who was convicted of a felony within the previous 10 years or who is on parole or probation from managing a collective.

In addition, the ordinance would limit the number of dispensaries by requiring them to be at least 1,000 feet from schools, parks, libraries, religious institutions, child care facilities, youth centers, hospitals, medical facilities, substance abuse rehabilitation centers and other collectives.

The ordinance also would restrict the dispensaries' operations. They could be open only between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. They could have no more than 5 pounds of marijuana or 100 plants on hand, and marijuana could not be consumed on site. They also would not be allowed to sell or manufacture edible marijuana products.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
VTA..thanks for posting..I can not believe the trouble med patients have there. They just seam to fight you every day at every corner. People like you are making a differance VTA....we appriciate everything you do..thank you for that..DD

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
The way I see it, it is now f**cked up to even try to run a true collective. Way to much oversight for a simple collective. If I wanted to get together with 10-30 patient friends and start a collective; do I want all this oversight -- hell no! Thanks rotten apples for causing this. I would have no intention of telling them anyway.

It will be interesting to see what the city brainless come out with.

haze crazy

"We are going to ban sales," said Councilman Dennis Zine, who said he has discussed the issue with colleagues. "The profit margin is what's gotten them going. They're not in there to help people, they're in there to make money."

So this mean all the pharmacies and drug companies are doing it for the common good and not for profit? Yeah right.......... How do they constitutionally justify regulating dispensaries and pharmacies differently? This council has screwed themselves....

You know I doubt it is about the money with all of the dispensaries. It may have more to do with the passion for what people love......cannabis

Passion trumps money every time. Just watch out for those whose passion is money

THIS WILL NOT PASS...the movement is on a roll..going to be pretty hard to stop it at this stage! My positive vibes go to all involved in MMJ in Cali!

Doco

I think its becoming obvious to most that we need to rewrite & expand the laws somewhat to allow some form of dispensary, collective, what have you - some form of commerce has to be written into it, and I don't personally feel reasonable profits are out of line. They have some of the very best, top of the line cannabis at some dispensaries near me and the growers on down through the trimmers to the knowledgable budtenders all add value. If theres no profit, who cares what kind of crap is coming out of the gardens or what care is put into manicuring or curing it?

On the other hand $480 to $600 an oz is ridiculous - with the efficiency of scale, marketing, and a storefront there is no reason a dispensary should charge the same or more than street level dealers.

Something needs to give and I am convinced we are at the next stage of the cannabis evolution in this state and country. One day day we will look back at the struggle and just shake our heads at what all the fuss was about.

Yota

5 pounds? How do they expect a dispensary to fit the medical needs of patients with only 5 pounds?

1 pound of 5 different strains isnt even close to sufficient.

1/2 pound of 10 strains isnt gonna be sufficient either.

I agree about the Pharmacies.

re: The ordinance requires collectives to keep records on members and suppliers and to make them available to police, which operators fear could leave them vulnerable to federal prosecution even though the Justice Department on Monday formally told its prosecutors not to pursue medical marijuana users and dispensaries that follow state law.

The draft ordinance also adds a provision that requires collectives to notify council members and neighborhood councils of their plans to open, and another that bars anyone who was convicted of a felony within the previous 10 years or who is on parole or probation from managing a collective.

In addition, the ordinance would limit the number of dispensaries by requiring them to be at least 1,000 feet from schools, parks, libraries, religious institutions, child care facilities, youth centers, hospitals, medical facilities, substance abuse rehabilitation centers and other collectives.

The ordinance also would restrict the dispensaries' operations. They could be open only between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. They could have no more than 5 pounds of marijuana or 100 plants on hand, and marijuana could not be consumed on site. They also would not be allowed to sell or manufacture edible marijuana products.

I don't see anything wrong with these requirements, with the exception as to pot on hand.

SDbudz

case law states(butte county ca.) a collective members only contribution to the collective may be monetary,that allows a collective member to show up at the collective give his share of the money for that 1/8 oz. and go home,from the outside it looks like sales ,in reality its not,limits for the number of plants and weight of dried product set by SB 420 was found to be unconstitutional in an appelate court,these new limits the city of LA are trying to impose takes a vote of the people not a stroke of some corrupt lawmakers pen and they will not get away with it

Danknuggler

case law states(butte county ca.) a collective members only contribution to the collective may be monetary,that allows a collective member to show up at the collective give his share of the money for that 1/8 oz. and go home,from the outside it looks like sales ,in reality its not,limits for the number of plants and weight of dried product set by SB 420 was found to be unconstitutional in an appelate court,these new limits the city of LA are trying to impose takes a vote of the people not a stroke of some corrupt lawmakers pen and they will not get away with it

Word bro. word.

The council is pissed because the profit margin is to high. Kinda like a red light ticket at 400.00 is that to high? Fuck those guys they are pissed that they are not getting a cut, pure and simple, greedy MF'ers.

B

Blue Dot

The council is pissed because the profit margin is to high. Kinda like a red light ticket at 400.00 is that to high? Fuck those guys they are pissed that they are not getting a cut, pure and simple, greedy MF'ers.

Or maybe they just have the best interests of patients in mind as per 215.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
If it is legal then their "drug war" income will be reduced because people who can get cards will get cards.

When you arrest illegal meds you get EVERYTHING including their house, kids, money and sell everything off, why the fuck would they care to just get the tax funds.

How can they support their pd without stealing from their citizens?

Politicians are the biggest crooks ever. LA has a big income generate with drug raids in the multi millions and not even talking about the asset seizures that they do on the backend + getting people locked up working for a dollar a day if that.

these politicians are about to get removed, same thing is trying to happen here in fresno and we WILL remove any and all city council if they try and stand in our way and we WILL put med friendly members in the council whether they want them or not. Campaigns are easy to run and easy to win as long as you hit the points that the majority voters want and then don't discuss the risky stuff that can get you hurt until AFTER you are in office.

hell look at obama, he promised everything under the sun to everyone under the sun and once in office good luck removing them anytime soon.

B

Blue Dot

these politicians are about to get removed, same thing is trying to happen here in fresno and we WILL remove any and all city council if they try and stand in our way and we WILL put med friendly members in the council whether they want them or not.

If i had a nickel for everytime I've heard this.

Same for San Diego but guess what, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Z

Zoolander

What happen to we the people ? We vote and they still do what they want :fsu:

vta

Veteran
people always forget that the prices have to be at or near street prices, otherwise more medical MJ ends up on the street....think about it. If I'm a pot dealer and can get ounces at a club below street prices....then thats where I would get it.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
WOW. I cant believe I live in a country where they threaten to shut your business down because they think your profits are to high...

welcome to the communist republik union of states in america....:fsu::fsu::fsu:

B

Blue Dot

people always forget that the prices have to be at or near street prices, otherwise more medical MJ ends up on the street....think about it. If I'm a pot dealer and can get ounces at a club below street prices....then thats where I would get it.

But neither 215 NOR sb420 mentions DIVERSION.

Sure, this may be the cops MO but its BS because if 215 patients are gonna divert it and resell it then they cops have every legal right to bust those resellers.

To put the burden on the dispensaries for what the cops may THINK may happen is BS and is not law.