What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

buzzmobile

Veteran
It is all doable. As Mr Rogers said (sort of); if it's mentionable, it's manageable.

1691231998061.jpeg

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Canada: Generates 3% of the world's total annual power output and does it 82% emissions-free. It amazes/amuses me how people keep pointing to these "progressive" European countries as leaders in emissions-free power and yet not one them comes close to what Canada has been doing for a couple of decades at least.
Canada has James Bay, a huge hydro project in northern Quebec. They export electricity to us in the US.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i keep waiting for some bright person to invent roofing shingles that double as solar panels. fuck, we went to the moon, right? this should be a snap comparatively...
They exist already but panels designed for roofing are more efficient.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
A yes. The massive wind farm that has :checks notes: 8 turbines that were installed in 2001 on land owned by the coal mine.

Clown shoes.
Idd clown shoes with their so-called 'green energy'.For enough back up you will need 'fossile' fuel or nuclear energy from France.

20230831_172838.jpg

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The dismantling of eight wind turbines built on coal company land and adjacent to an existing coal mine, It's really a knee jerk reaction to the cuts in energy supply coming from Russia - Mainly natural gas. So thank Putin for this cluster. Not as bad as annihilating Ukrainians, or starving Africa, but it's another case of Putin fucking the world.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Starving Africa? Only 3% of the Ukrainian wheat went to Africa.China was still number 1 and number 2 the EU.

Cuddles

A yes. The massive wind farm that has :checks notes: 8 turbines that were installed in 2001 on land owned by the coal mine.

Clown shoes.
looks like a few more than 8 on the photo. Or the photo has nothing to do with the actual site...you never these days, do you? 🥴
yeah, it is kinda odd.

right

Gas was about $7 in Joshua tree. Most of my friends in Texas are out of work and can't feed there kids .
Good friend of mine runs a crew repairing oil Derricks out of Odessa area . He might be out of work, and he will then loose his house.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gas was about $7 in Joshua tree. Most of my friends in Texas are out of work and can't feed there kids .
Good friend of mine runs a crew repairing oil Derricks out of Odessa area . He might be out of work, and he will then loose his house.
Bullsit about your friends. There are jobs out there for them. They just don't want to work for pennies and I don't blame them.

But to say there is no work is patently false.

right

Bullsit about your friends. There are jobs out there for them. They just don't want to work for pennies and I don't blame them.

But to say there is no work is patently false.
@gotbud the oilfields are in the middle of nowhere.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And?

You said there were no jobs. AOH claims there's 30 pages of help wanted ads on Craigslist in the skilled trades section.

Like I said. There are jobs out there. Your friend doesn't want to do them. He wants to work in the oilfields that happen to be located in the middle of nowhere. And if he is unwilling to work in the middle of nowhere and loses his house because he didn't want to do something else that was closer to home, I don't know what to tell you other than your friend might be a moron.