What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

St. Phatty

So just what should the CO2 level be?

420 ppm in 2021, going up at about 3 ppm per year, with no end in sight.

And the only way to slow down that rate of increase is to use nuclear or nuclear/ solar-wave-wind.

Solar-wave-wind derives from nuclear, they're just smart enough to use the fusion plant 93 million miles away.

Three Berries

420 ppm in 2021, going up at about 3 ppm per year, with no end in sight.

And the only way to slow down that rate of increase is to use nuclear or nuclear/ solar-wave-wind.

Solar-wave-wind derives from nuclear, they're just smart enough to use the fusion plant 93 million miles away.
I know what it is. What should it be? Is 420ppm bad? Here's a couple weeks from outside the back door.

Attachments

• CO2_70322.txt
    32.9 KB · Views: 98

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So ya @mexcurandero420 and @Three Berries lets just go ahead and keep; belching our filth, cutting down all the trees, producing government subsidized (killer) crops like corn and milk, using non-sustainable fertilizing methods. It's okay because we've convinced ourselves of some goofy CO2 point, without understanding how gases mix and believe some comment about the sea level of a rock without accounting for fluctuating tides throughout the globe. All that really counts after all is the blessed economy. God forbid it doesn't grow.

Three Berries

So ya @mexcurandero420 and @Three Berries lets just go ahead and keep; belching our filth, cutting down all the trees, producing government subsidized (killer) crops like corn and milk, using non-sustainable fertilizing methods. It's okay because we've convinced ourselves of some goofy CO2 point, without understanding how gases mix and believe some comment about the sea level of a rock without accounting for fluctuating tides throughout the globe. All that really counts after all is the blessed economy. God forbid it doesn't grow.
I think the world is in pretty good shape actually. Don't know where you get all the gloom and doom. 424ppm this morning not bad.

You know all that corn and other stuff we grow uses a lot of CO2? How many trees have you planted in your life?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the world is in pretty good shape actually. Don't know where you get all the gloom and doom. 424ppm this morning not bad.

You know all that corn and other stuff we grow uses a lot of CO2? How many trees have you planted in your life?
I've planted about 500 trees on my farm alone which I grew from seed. I've created about another 1000 from cuttings. I've personally toured many clearcuts of old growth forests and was active lobbying government to replant with mycorrhizal spores - 30 years ago. I lobbied government 40 years ago to use selective woodlot licenses to locals instead of being bribed by corporations to cut everything in sight. I ran a small woodlot.

Three Berries

I've planted 1000s too. Good job.

But if you limit carbon, you limit life. That's as simple as it gets. The planet is no where near capacity. And somehow as man advances out of the mud puddle, so does his engineering. Not so much as the science nowadays.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've planted 1000s too. Good job.

But if you limit carbon, you limit life. That's as simple as it gets. The planet is no where near capacity. And somehow as man advances out of the mud puddle, so does his engineering. Not so much as the science nowadays.
As I've said repeatedly, mostly to Hempy, it is not solely about CO2. To begin with there is a co-mingling of gases from many toxic sources which create 'whoknowswhat'. Anyone who thinks that human activity does not effect climate is really not taking a scientific perspective. As you guys like to say, there are no coincidences and as I say, for every action, there is effect.

In my opinion, in consideration of human lifestyle, the planet is over capacity already. This is due to human stupidity, huddling in cities and being reliant on money-asses to provide them with a JOB. If when the stupid people from Europe had learned from the more intelligent indigenous beings throughout 'much' of the world, instead of being intent on killing and conquering them, they may have picked up on what a sustainable economy is. They may have learned that it is not about a job as much as having value to your community.

Brother Nature

There is enough room in the state of Texas that every person in the world could have a 1000 sq ft .
Dumb arguement and here's why (From a University in Texas no less...)

Let's Put Everybody into Texas

© Eric R. Pianka

"Land, they aren't making any more of it" -- Will Rogers

Humans cannot live without food and water. One third of Earth's surface is desert which supports very few people. People can visit deserts but long-term survival in desert regions is very tenuous. Cities built in deserts like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tuscon, cannot exist without importing water or pumping groundwater out of deep aquifers. Indeed, they all face serious water shortages. Similarly, humans cannot sustain themselves for very long in mountains, though we often visit these regions on a temporary basis. Humans have occupied almost all of Earth's habitable lands.

WestTexas.jpg

Some like to assert that everybody on Earth could be fit into the State of Texas, using logic as follows. The area of Texas is about 262,000 mi2. Dividing this figure by the current human population of 7 billion leaves each person with less than 100 square meters, a small plot the size of a big room about 10 m x 10 m. Sounds plausible enough, right? Without going into the fact that almost half the State is desert, notice we have not allowed for any roads, shopping malls, schools, hospitals, football stadiums, prisons, sewage plants, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, golf courses, parks, and what else? How much land does it take to support a human being?

TexasSplit.JPG
earthmap.gif

Let's do the math again, but this time for the entire planet. The total land surface area of Earth is about 57,308,738 square miles, of which about 24% is mountainous and about 33% is desert. Subtracting this uninhabitable 57% (32,665,981 mi2) from the total land area leaves 24,642,757 square miles or 15.77 billion acres of habitable land.

Divide this figure by the current human population of 7 billion (that's 7,000 million people!) and you get just under one hectare (2.3 acres) per person. If all the habitable land on Earth were equally distributed among all human beings present on Earth, this is the per capita share of good land per person. Again, however, we have not allowed for any nice amenities such as roads, schools, hospitals, shopping malls, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, parks, golf courses, etc. Even so, could you live on 2.3 acres?

Efforts have been made to estimate the amount of land needed to sustain an average individual human (link). A person living the lifestyle of an average American requires almost 24 acres, ten times the world per capita share.
space.JPG
The Shrinking Planet
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif
earth.gif

Bottom Line: For everyone presently on this planet to enjoy the lifestyle of an average American, we would need about ten planet Earths. We have only one. For everyone to live like an American, Earth can only support about one-tenth as many people. To increase the average quality of life, the number of people on Earth must be reduced.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
CO2 percentage during the flight in an airliner within the US.

FUM9H5WaUAEoRDm.jpeg

You forget one thing and that is the influence of the sun. It can be active and it can fall in sleep for a quite some time with as result an ice age.The magnetic mantle around our globe is getting weaker, so cosmic rays have more influences on our climate.I can remember that an apple farmer a few years back had €50.000 sunburn damage to his trees.
In my country the government organization for forestry is cutting down more trees for the last few years,although the government itself announce everytime we should take action to decrease CO2.

Personally I prefer organic farming, but not in the way they're doing now.Dutch agriculture produce food for 100 million people.After the US the Netherlands is number 2 on the list for exporting agricultural products.Some say to cut down NH3, NH4 emissions, we should only produce for ourselves, but the other 82% will have starve to death probably.To go fully organic farming, you should change something in the organic farming method, otherwise less food production with starvation as result.
Sri Lanka tried it to go fully organic and it became a disaster.

What kind of trees did you plant on your piece of land back then?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CO2 percentage during the flight in an airliner within the US.

View attachment 18732124

You forget one thing and that is the influence of the sun. It can be active and it can fall in sleep for a quite some time with as result an ice age.The magnetic mantle around our globe is getting weaker, so cosmic rays have more influences on our climate.I can remember that an apple farmer a few years back had €50.000 sunburn damage to his trees.
In my country the government organization for forestry is cutting down more trees for the last few years,although the government itself announce everytime we should take action to decrease CO2.

Personally I prefer organic farming, but not in the way they're doing now.Dutch agriculture produce food for 100 million people.After the US the Netherlands is number 2 on the list for exporting agricultural products.Some say to cut down NH3, NH4 emissions, we should only produce for ourselves, but the other 82% will have starve to death probably.To go fully organic farming, you should change something in the organic farming method, otherwise less food production with starvation as result.
Sri Lanka tried it to go fully organic and it became a disaster.

What kind of trees did you plant on your piece of land back then?
There are many problems which face the earth but not all we can influence. On my farm we gave up 'official' organic practices and turned to regenerative and microbial based horticulture. After that we never had a shortfall of nutrients.

I grew silver birch, water birch, split leaf birth, fir, Saskatoon, cottonwood from seed and these were planted along our 1 mile river front.

St. Phatty

I know what it is. What should it be? Is 420ppm bad? Here's a couple weeks from outside the back door.

It's a Mixed Blessing.

I remember reading Botany textbooks from the 1980's. They described 389 parts per million as a CO2 level that would be "like steroids for your plants".

420+ ppm means we Cannabis growers no longer need to use CO2 supplementation.

But those higher CO2 levels also produce much higher fuel loads, relative to wildfires.

So from 2017 to present, California especially has been -screwed- by those higher fuel loads.

Higher CO2 levels is the one part of man-made Climate Change that is impossible to refute.

The wind events associated with the 2017 wildfires - I'm not sure we have enough weather data to say if we are having more wind events.

In the July 2018 Redding fire named the Carr Fire, there was no Wind Event. But the fire occurred in 105+ degree weather, and although "background wind" was 10 mph or slower, wind at the fire perimeter was 40+ miles per hour.

Subcool, TGA, their Cannabis garden in California was one of the casualties of the 2017 wildfires.

The Two-cent Stamp

One of our favorite stories in the Chaffee chronicle is the tale of the 1898 Two-Cent Stamp, which for years blazed the letterheads of the Amenia and Sharon Land Company. The stamp was titled “Farming in the West”, but the A&S Land Co. entitled their letterhead “Farming 40,000 Acres.”

#286 – 1898 2c Trans-Mississippi Exposition: Farming in the West

U.S. #286
1898 2¢ Trans-Mississippi Exposition

First Day of Issue: June 17, 1898
Quantity issued:
159,720,800 (unknown quantity destroyed)
Printed by: Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Method: Flat Plate in sheets of 100 subjects
Watermark: Double-line watermark USPS
Perforation: 12
Color: Copper red

Latest posts

Latest posts