What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

is this how you breed quality genetics?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Sorry, Just was stating this was a solution to your concern over loosing some traits in order to "fix" other traits within the population.

Also, in rereading your posts you meant "dominant" as in; These traits show more frequently in the population. Not so much as; dominant vs recessive. Correct?

Actually, I've wondered about this question of yours too. The viability of breeding fat leaves from skinny ones. Breeding for something you just don't see in the population you've grown thus far. Good question and good luck!

you are right in that part of my question is answered with crossing different families to maintain vigor.

but I'm beginning to think that the doubts/questions I have, I can only answer in the field, probably Sam is right and my experience is limited enough so as to not let me see how many possibilities there are in trying to set a given goal.

but if I start to think theoretically, I run with tons of limitations :D

thank you again,

peace!

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
awe man, im so glad I went through what I went through since it prompted me to start this one. soo much invaluable information on here its ridiculous!!!

now THIS is the type of discussion I was looking to have at the other thread but alas I have only come to understand from my experience that you cant talk to monkeys when theyre slinging shit at you! lol

@samskunkman- im just wanting to educate myself a lot more about the whole breeding genre because I seriously want to start buying seeds from reputable ppl. im a consumer just like everyone else and I don't know much about the seed game BUT the one thing I do know is that I don't have to be stupid about purchasing my seeds either. wanted to see what the proper standards were for breeders, as ive said before "what makes a breeder a 'breeder'?". my hypothetical was just to get the ball rolling here, lol don't take it for any manner of educated or informed opinion at all. im learning every time I come to this thread with every post and I truly appreciate the information. contrary to popular belief I do like to be educated about the shit im into.

please ppl, keep it going, don't stop!!!!

QUESTION (for the panel): what would be an example of a recessive trait that one would want to make dominant, and if its recessive to begin with would it be worth the time/effort to bring it out? (my thought process is: if its recessive to begin with then why even bother?)

Siro

QUESTION (for the panel): what would be an example of a recessive trait that one would want to make dominant, and if its recessive to begin with would it be worth the time/effort to bring it out? (my thought process is: if its recessive to begin with then why even bother?)

Just because it is recessive does not mean it is bad.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
can you fix a recessive trait?

look at snakes that have been breed for albinism for your answer

now the question is can you fix the recessive trait you want and why do you want to?

what recessives are desirable and why?

oddity factor? recessive trait linked to a specific secondary metabolite profile?

* rhetorical repeat of FreindIdeeD ? a few lines before, didnt see it sorry but it still applies

G

gloryoskie

Good thread.

I have been dabbling with a breeding project. Terpene profiles are of interest.
THC %, anything over 7 is good.

Got some major cat pee smells going on, but I wonder what else is in there.

Buds still going, will chop and dry and cure to see whats up.

Thunk x NYCD x Sensi Star.

Thanks Sam.

canned abyss1

Veteran
FRIENDinDEED; said:
QUESTION (for the panel): what would be an example of a

recessive trait that one would want to make dominant, and if its recessive to begin with would it be worth the time/effort to bring it out? (my thought process is: if its recessive to begin with then why even bother?)

How about a purple webbed autoflower.

Spyderweb

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

canned abyss1

Veteran
What is not helpful about my post, he asked for an example of a recessive trait that one would want to make dominant, and I show three recessives in one strain and this is not helpful.

fungzyme

now THIS is the type of discussion I was looking to have at the other thread but alas I have only come to understand from my experience that you cant talk to monkeys when theyre slinging shit at you! lol

Really? Discussion?? Just because you start a new thread, it doesn't magically make your river of juvenile bullshit dry up and disappear. FWIW, here's a 'greatest hits' of FRIENDinDEEDs "discussion" contributions for anyone who wants to know what he keeps referring to:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5737874&postcount=330

There's part of the problem with your thought process right there. You seem to be confusing 'recessive' with 'defective'. Not even remotely the same.

Green Supreme

Veteran
Hey friend, am I the only one has noticed no input in these threads from your hero pain management man. Hmmm. Peace GS

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Just because it is recessive does not mean it is bad.

your absolutely right, I do see your point.

but would it make sense to try and find a grouping of plants where that trait is more dominant? of course provided that you are growing the hundreds of plants to do so OR do you think its just easier to just "work with what you have"?

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
What is not helpful about my post, he asked for an example of a recessive trait that one would want to make dominant, and I show three recessives in one strain and this is not helpful.

gotta apologize to you, I misread your post, I took it as an example of whats NOT wanted! my bad.

but I see your point with the pics provided.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
that is where i m coming from; i know those #s ~& i wouldnt mind discussing that w/ u

but; i dont want to clutter this guy's thread

he doesnt seem to want my input

nah nah nah man, say what you have to say, as long as it can be applied to the topic at hand, then what you've got to add is more than welcome! as long as your clutter can be applied then c'mon in and clutter it all the fuck up!

what makes you think I don't want your imput?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
probably the 3 posts where i asked you specific questions including why you were ignoring me

its no problem really

Coba

Veteran
Does anybody here know anything about breeding any plant, other than cannabis?

the way it's done for roses?
tulips?
camellias?
geraniums?

anybody?

who is the one jackass that gives every one of FRIEND's post a thumbs down? I don't always agree with the man but damn, give it a fucking rest. You dont like him. We get it. Stupid children

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was wondering that too ~makes it look like it would be me that time

i never give neg rep or find posts unhelpful though

coba ~i learned about this stuff w/ snakes so; yeah but no?

Last edited:

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
who is the one jackass that gives every one of FRIEND's post a thumbs down? I don't always agree with the man but damn, give it a fucking rest. You dont like him. We get it. Stupid children

you'll find that there are a lot of ppl that take this ICMAG shit (basically all this "internet shit") a lil too seriously. ive got a 2yr old, 18yr graduating HS going to nrsng school, son 17yrs old, a thick successful black woman as a wife besides so much other shit that I can be greatful for daily; so they can neg rep, report, ban, bin, can, delete, jump up and down butt fucking naked tossing jumbolaya around the room theyre in, don't mean two bits of fuck to me either way, real life going on over here. either way, you learn something new everyday right?

you said it better than I ever could:
Stupid children