What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

I like my balcony green

doublezero

Maybe I will do this, kinda, but I am not there yet. I am thinking about a solution to "convince" her of a certain bending radius with minimal force, such as she got used to. The wind direction is predominantly W>E and I want to try making use of it. Either way, something will happen prior to her glueing to the roof.

doublezero

Good day :)

Just some pictures for a good mood.

sunrise.jpg

double-rainbow.jpg

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
I would bend it half way down. It’s not easy to predict, maybe not much maybe like crazy. I would say not too much because of the pot. But who I am ? XD

doublezero

I am by no means a "bending expert" but I've done it before. Those stems may look like they could be bent but they are really solid, no doubt they would break. That's one reason for my thought of post#26.

I observed very little growth over the past week. This makes me think from now on only the bud formation will take place. As I have never grown such a big plant I am, however, not sure about it. But it is the same with my other bigger plant, nothing happening in vertical direction.

When the stretch is over, as it seems, will it stretch again at a certain point? I never experienced that, indoors.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Hmhm it’s possible to make the steam more flexible with a massage ;)

At the end it’s your decision but my approach would be as much distance to the roof as possible ;)

doublezero

Ants and aphids

Ants have been attracted to my balcony a while ago, something I rarely observed up here in the past. What attracted them I have no clue. I don't think they do harm to my plants, at least I could not detect any. They shall be my guests.

They look friendly, like those in "Biene Maja" :D

Those aphids have been there before. May this be a reason for the ants to patrol my balcony?
Those are aphids, aren't they?
aphid.jpg

Obviously those aphids like my eucalyptus a lot. As I had one plant next to the eucalyptus for a few days they hopped over. I was handpicking them each and every day from one of my cannabis plants. They try to hide deep in new growth. Today I will thoroughly but gently try to blow them all away with a sprayer.

I wanted to know if the specific ants on my balcony are interested in munching on aphids at all. This seems to be the case but I got a feeling that they are not after the aphids in the first place.

I gathered a few ants in a jar and put a tip of my eucalyptus in there. Shortly after the ants showed interest.
ants-and-aphids.jpg

This plant has to survive ✌️
35.jpg

doublezero

@#1cheesebuds
I was lucky to get that appartment rented and now the roof seems finally has a real purpose :D

---

After a yesterday's storm I conclude that my wind protetion mentioned earlier stood the test. Dem plants got shaken well. Here is an example of some slaps as well as a nice view after the storm.

20240720_213236.jpg

The Stress Killer auto plant meanwhile developed some nice resin. It is, however, foxtails all over.
ska_foxtails.jpg

The Euphoria is taking it slow ...
E_20240721.jpg

... and the Tangerine Dream auto is also finally gaining some biomass.
TDA_20240721.jpg

Here is my revegged plant, which I will probably use to do some air layering.
2_reveg_20240721.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

doublezero

Worries

Certainly I was aware of some of things that can happen to outdoor plants like insects or other species doing harm to my plants or light pollution, the latter being prominent.

Something I did not know was the possible meaning of preflower issues. As my plants started preflowering a long time ago and went into early flowering I contacted BrassNwood because he mentioned it in this comment.

I like to pickup his term of what could happen to the plants, which was the bud sites could develop into "medusa multi-heades messes". My big plants may be at risk. That's not a huge issue because I have other plants and those big ones developed from seeds I did not use before.

This first outdoor/balcony season I am more like an observer trying to gather and process valuable information, which I find in existing posts, by asking people or comments on my posts/threads.

Meanwhile I removed the cover crop from my big plants as they attracted more and more caterpillars and also slugs.Luckily they did not munch on my plants and only seemed to be interested in the cover crop.

I am looking forward to a fascinating journey that just has started for me :)

A caterpillar staring at a leaf on a clay pebble
monkey-caterpillar.jpg

doublezero

Another guest will join my party, as the autoflower is not taking that long anymore. So, I can have another plant.

It will be my "Number 1", 1 meaning it was the first seeds I got out of an unintentional fertilization.

My sparse notes combined with my memory tell me it is probably Royal Madre x Dr. Grinspoon.
Those have been in my fridge now for ~10 years. Randomly I popped some of them just to get a glimpse.
All of them were impossible to control for me. They did not respond to light distance to somehow being able to control the height. They stretched forever and flowered forever with barely any branches that developed significantly. Topping they did not like resp. new growth was very, very slow and did nothing about the described structure, which after topping just was double the trouble :D

Let's see what she will do outdoors.

20240722_191133.jpg

doublezero

Just a quick update - everything going well. My mature lanky lady (17) got some grey hair and wrinkles but she takes care of it ;)

She should be a (1x1)x1, 1 being probably "Royal Madre x Dr. Grinspoon". I am, however, not sure if at some point NL was involved in the pollen chucking which btw the plants did all by themselves but most probably that was not the case.

So all of my own seeds were produced by plants that hermed due to stress (sometimes hard traing and most times temperatures, too cold / too hot).

I am still hoping that no reveg occurs. Meanwhile I also found a proper solution for the close call of the largest spear of my lanky lady which I will implement when the time comes. The last 2 weeks she gained only ~1inch in size.

My bush (34) should be a (1x1)x3, 3 being a EU hemp variety. Here I am not sure if it was a Sathica or a Tiborszallasi.

So there has often been a plant in my tent which I could identify as the pollen chucker and thus reconstruct my weird "lineage" :D

34 (left, 5 ft from soil) and 17 (right, 7 ft from soil), both around 14 weeks
34_17_20240729.jpg

For my 35, which should be a selfed NL x (1 x NL) I am still handpicking some larvae each and every day. For this I am using a toothpick with the tip very slightly coated with honey and then dilligently catching those larvae one by one. I still have some BAC Plant Vitality Plus I will probably use. I have some good experience with this product although I am not sure about the real content and its possible negative impact.

35 (the big one), 4 ft. from soil, 8 weeks
35_20240728.jpg

doublezero

Water, water, water ...

Water lily

Lately, on my balcony, sitting next to my plants as usual I suddenly noticed my bushy plant emitting the known odor, (that's what I thought) which I was not able to describe by then.
Although my nose is very fine, to say the least, I am not always able to match distinct aroma of e.g. a known fruit to what I smell.

Well, it turned out that my wife took a shower and used a new shower gel and that was where the odor originated.

It was a water lily flavored shower gel.

So, I just researched the prominent terpenes/terpenoids of water lily and discoverd they are also present in cannabis plants.

Here they are. There is no order and some of them may not be that common or only occur in small amounts.

β-farnesene
trans-α-bergamotene
α-sesquiphellandrene
α-bisabolene
(E)-α-atlantone
(E)-γ-bisabolene

I can imagine a combination of those compounds makes the plant smell like it does. This promiment odor is fading into a subtle ride on hashy/earthy, evenly subtle.

Water melon

My lanky lady was fed a water melon. I put 1kg including the peel in a blender, filtered the fibrous material out of the juice and ended up with 375ml of water melon liquid. That I diluted with water to get 2l.

Water alcalinity

Yeah, yeah, I measured pH. Unfortunately I used somewhat older test strips...
The pH of my tap water, that I use when no rainwater is available, is between 7 and 7.2.
Alright, my plants survived this until now.

In the past I used vinegar essence to lower pH. Is this a good option or what are the recommendations here?

---
My 1 (probably Royal Madre x Dr. Grinspoon) meanwhile germinated. This bean has been intentionally popped late.
1_20240802.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts