What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

hush's 3x3 tent - 400w SCROG - Northern Skunk

Okay it looks like I shredded my goal of 10 ounces! :D

The buds are all dried, but un manicured, and I have over 14 ounces here. I am a happy camper. Final weight still to come, after curing and manicure, but I expect that number won't change that much because of the good calyx to leaf ratio of this cut.

I smoked a tiny bowl of this last night before bed, and it renewed my love for this strain. I've been without it for too long. I will always keep this one growing at all times from here on out. Northern Skunk for the win!

Almost gpw! Very nice work hush :) they look amazing!

Nice grow hush! Do you let the roots burst through the bottom of the cube on their own or do you help them by cutting the wrap at the bottom.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
There is no wrap on the bottom of the cubes, and that's just what roots do on their own. :tiphat:

thewhitekingtut

How did you like the 2x2 flood table, Would you rather have a 3x3 to optimize the space or did you some how benifit from the 2x2. Or i guess most likely you just had the 2x2 and said fuck it. Just wondering because im working on a new setup in a the same tent with a flood drain system, will be my first crack at hydro and would like the best setup for my tent. Thanks for the help

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well they've been curing, and I've only slowly begun manicuring them, but everything is rolling along smoothly. :tiphat:

jump /injack

Veteran
Hush, I noticed on "Treating Yourself" that you were about to do some NS with colloidal silver, I did that several years ago with NS and still have lots of feminized seeds. I tried to save my pollen but it didn't work, you said something on "TY" about vacuum packing the pollen. I wrapped the pollen in papers and then into a film cartridge, then into the freezer but it wasn't viable 2 years later. How long does your pollen last? What is your procedure with the vacuum?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I never actually ended up making any pollen with colloidal silver, just to be clear. But I have been storing regular old pollen in vials, inside of a jar that I used a foodsaver to vacuum seal. I just recently pulled some of the pollen out, to pollinate a blueberry plant, and it seemed to have worked because there were seeds present in the blueberry plant at harvest time. This pollen wasn't even a year old yet, though, so I can't really say how long yet that my pollen will last while stored this way.

I'm really new to pollen handling and seed-making. Been growing for over 20 years now, and only just started working with pollen!

Let me jump in with a noobie question. When did or do you begin flushing? Do you associate the switch with trichome stage? Thanks Hush looking good!

Hush. I'm curious what week of flowering should one introduce pollen? I've culled all males in the past, but have an idea that may allow me to get some pollen if I stumble upon another decent male. Also, about how long does it take for a males flowers to open up? I know it probably depends on the variety.

With my latest malawi male that I had (beautifully structured plant ,btw) after I identified it to be a male I immediately chopped it. I cut it into a few manageable pieces and stuck it in a sealed container until Ihad time to dispose of it properly and securely. When I finally got around to dealing with it, Inoticed that after the chop it had continued to produce sacks post-chop.

So my though is that if I let the male develop a little more (days, weeks???), then put it in the container before the male flowers open up then I should be able to collect a little pollen to hit a bud or 2 with. However if I wait too long in my tiny growspace, well that wouldn't be good. So any insight on a timeline would be helpful.

I just received some new genetics to play with as well. The next few months will be pretty exciting and educational for me! Have you ever tried any dinafem gear?

...also, I'm excited to see how that ak works out for u. Supposed to be good smoke for such a short flowering time. Ill be keeping an eye out for a grow/smoke report! Thanks!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Let me jump in with a noobie question. When did or do you begin flushing? Do you associate the switch with trichome stage? Thanks Hush looking good!

If you pay attention to when the plants cut back on the amount of water they're drinking, that's the time to stop adding nutes. That's when the plants are finished with the flowering and are concentrating on ripening.

Hush. I'm curious what week of flowering should one introduce pollen? I've culled all males in the past, but have an idea that may allow me to get some pollen if I stumble upon another decent male. Also, about how long does it take for a males flowers to open up? I know it probably depends on the variety.

I've just added pollen as soon as the female flowers have lots of fresh pistils, in the beginning. This way I know the seeds will be finished. Male flowers tend to develop and start dropping pollen before the females are ready. It's pretty quick with them.

I just received some new genetics to play with as well. The next few months will be pretty exciting and educational for me! Have you ever tried any dinafem gear?

Yeah I've grown out a few freebies of theirs, various strains. I really enjoyed their white widow. One of the strongest smokes I've ever had, actually. But all of them were quality.

...also, I'm excited to see how that ak works out for u. Supposed to be good smoke for such a short flowering time. Ill be keeping an eye out for a grow/smoke report! Thanks!

I'm probably going to get the AK's started in about 2 more weeks. I'm looking forward to it! I'm just waiting for the 1000 watter to be available.

"If you pay attention to when the plants cut back on the amount of water they're drinking, that's the time to stop adding nutes. That's when the plants are finished with the flowering and are concentrating on ripening."
That's some great advice, yet again hush. I have gh ph down which is a nitric acid I believe. However I have heard that lots of people flush with water that is ph'ed with phosphoric acid instead to help eliminate the available nitrogen in the medium. Which do you use? Have u tried both?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
GH's ph down is actually phosphoric acid, not nitric acid. That is actually the only acid I've ever used, to be honest. I experimented with vinegar (acetic acid) in the past, but that is only good for organics IME. So phosphoric acid for the win. And yes, I do think it's a good idea to use ph-adjusted water for the flush... but that being said, I've flushed with non-pH adjusted water before too and it seems to work fine, although the fan leaves will end up showing some pH problems by harvest time. It's very minimal though, and the buds don't seem to be affected by it.

All in all, I recommend flushing with pH-adjusted water, regardless of the acid being used.

Latest posts

Latest posts