What's new

How to bring terps and essential oils out on a strain?

little-soldier

So i was talking to someone who lives in Cali and he claims that some people out there have a way to bring out terps and essential oils on a strain. I told him sure, its gotta be either bottled terpene booster, freeze drying the weed or organics and he said it wasnt.
Any idea of what else it could be?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
So i was talking to someone who lives in Cali and he claims that some people out there have a way to bring out terps and essential oils on a strain. I told him sure, its gotta be either bottled terpene booster, freeze drying the weed or organics and he said it wasnt.
It's the Sun's intensity, a low dew point and low humidity during flowering. Cali has been known for growing the best of everything from melons to grapes because of these growing conditions.

Dime

I think environmental pressures/stresses and genetics determine it and there's no snake oil .Terpenes also play a role in survival and you can preserve them better them with proper curing and handling though but strains have different shelf lives..

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
no doubt but we were talking about indoor growing
Yes indoors too friend, the dew point, humidity, and wind velocity play the biggest part in the production of the excess resin on the flowers when matched with good light. Where I've grown it's extremely difficult to maintain a near-perfect VPD or steady environment. I still have super weed but not like CA weed.

The Vapor pressure deficit (VPD) is one of several methods growers use to measure humidity in a greenhouse or growing environment. It allows growers to gauge the impact of humidity on plant growth and development.

Vapor pressure deficit
Measures the difference between the amount of water vapor in the air and the maximum amount the air can hold at its current temperature. VPD is expressed in units of pressure and is a more accurate way to predict plant transpiration and water loss than RH. VPD is also a key driver of evapotranspiration in plants. Google

PlastikeRubba

Who knows. No one knows.

Cali doesn't have loud weed. They haven't since the real growers stopped working with those pieces of shit. They've been riding off the reputation of 35 years ago.

See for yourself. Sign up with Ganjier. They will tell you Sour Diesel was actually named Our Diesel and isn't sour but smells like a shoe store.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I will never grow cannabis without rabbit manure or it's equivelent again. The effect on terpene/cannabinoid complexity and quantity is readily noticeable.

I make a shelf stable, liquid extract which works as a foliar, soil drench and in hydro. In another year or so, when my current business is running solid, I'll be making it available to others. Until then it is back on the shelf waiting.

little-soldier

I will never grow cannabis without rabbit manure or it's equivelent again. The effect on terpene/cannabinoid complexity and quantity is readily noticeable.

I make a shelf stable, liquid extract which works as a foliar, soil drench and in hydro. In another year or so, when my current business is running solid, I'll be making it available to others. Until then it is back on the shelf waiting.
Rabbit manure didnt do anything in terms of terps for me. Only alpaca manure made a noticable effect in terms of taste and believe me, I tried almost everything. Try it and I guarantee you that your business wont be selling rabbit poop anymore lol.

Douglas.Curtis

I remember your experiments, and from your description of them your opinion on the subject does not surprise me. I'll stick with rabbit, thanks. ;)

Last edited:

little-soldier

I remember your experiments, and from your description of them your opinion on the subject does not surprise me. I'll stick with rabbit, thanks. ;)
You know, it doesnt hurt to take someones advice sometimes. It helps to push off ones ego to the side and learn from others experience. Thats how we grow too

Douglas.Curtis

We (should) often grow through careful evaluation and application of information.

Your thread posts described a very minimal and (therefore) ineffective application of rabbit manure. I'm completely unsurprised you have a low opinion of it.

Having personally tested rabbit, multiple times, and comparing the raising of rabbit vs alpaca, rabbit is light years ahead. Even if alpaca could be as good or a bit better, it's a non starter from the get go.

Bottom line, if you want more terps and cannabinoids, you'll want a healthy plant getting the full spectrum of micro nutrients and trace elements. Organically derived molecules (humic substances) are more complex, and this does translate to more complex terpenes and cannabinoids.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Spoken like a salesman
Simply laying out the facts as presented. I prefer to make informed decisions, because I almost inevitably have a better result. ;)

Healthy plant and, as science has proven, dense micronutrient availability. Chatgpt was helpful in typing up a quick summary...
ChatGPT said:
Research on the importance of micronutrients and trace elements in the production of essential oils highlights their critical roles in plant metabolism and secondary metabolite synthesis. Here are some key studies and findings in this area:

1. **Zinc and Essential Oil Yield**: Studies have shown that zinc plays a vital role in the biosynthesis of essential oils. For instance, zinc deficiency can lead to reduced oil yield and quality in species like *Mentha piperita* (peppermint) and *Coriandrum sativum* (coriander).

2. **Copper and Terpene Production**: Research indicates that copper is essential for the enzymatic reactions involved in terpene biosynthesis, a major component of many essential oils. For example, studies on *Ocimum basilicum* (basil) have demonstrated that copper application can enhance both the quantity and quality of essential oil.

3. **Manganese in Essential Oil Composition**: Manganese has been linked to the synthesis of essential oils in plants such as *Lavandula angustifolia* (lavender). Studies show that appropriate manganese levels can influence the profile of volatile compounds, affecting both aroma and therapeutic properties.

4. **Iron and Plant Stress Responses**: Iron is crucial for chlorophyll synthesis and photosynthesis, directly impacting overall plant health and the production of secondary metabolites, including essential oils. Research has highlighted that iron deficiency can stress plants, leading to reduced essential oil yields.

5. **Overall Micronutrient Balance**: A comprehensive review of various studies emphasizes that an optimal balance of micronutrients—including boron, molybdenum, and others—is necessary for maximizing essential oil production. Nutrient interactions and bioavailability can significantly affect oil yield and composition.

6. **Soil Nutrient Management**: Field experiments and greenhouse studies have shown that proper soil nutrient management, including micronutrient application, can lead to higher essential oil yields in aromatic crops.

For specific references and in-depth studies, academic journals such as the *Journal of Essential Oil Research* and *Industrial Crops and Products* are excellent sources to explore these topics further. If you're looking for specific studies or need more detailed insights, let me know!

Rather handy for some things. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

Just for S&G I asked it to compare them in relation to those elements...
ChatGPT said:
The availability of micronutrients and trace elements in rabbit manure compared to alpaca manure can vary based on several factors, including the animals' diets and the composting process. Here’s a comparison:

### Rabbit Manure
1. **Nutrient Composition**: Rabbit manure is rich in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (NPK), and generally has a higher concentration of micronutrients like zinc, copper, and manganese.
2. **Availability**: The nutrients in rabbit manure are often more readily available due to its lower carbon-to-nitrogen (C:N) ratio, which allows for faster decomposition and nutrient release.
3. **Application Benefits**: Rabbit manure can enhance soil fertility and improve the availability of trace elements, making it beneficial for crops requiring high micronutrient content.

### Alpaca Manure
1. **Nutrient Composition**: Alpaca manure is also nutrient-rich but has a higher C:N ratio compared to rabbit manure, which can result in slower nutrient release.
2. **Micronutrient Content**: While alpaca manure contains essential micronutrients, the concentrations may be lower than in rabbit manure. However, it is known for being relatively high in organic matter and can improve soil structure.
3. **Soil Interaction**: Alpaca manure may benefit soil health over time, contributing to nutrient availability as it breaks down, but it might require longer to release nutrients compared to rabbit manure.

### Summary
- **Rabbit manure** tends to provide more readily available micronutrients and trace elements than **alpaca manure** due to its composition and lower C:N ratio.
- For immediate nutrient availability, rabbit manure is often preferred, while alpaca manure can be beneficial for long-term soil health and organic matter improvement.

For specific applications, it’s advisable to conduct a soil test and consider the specific nutrient needs of your crops.

Like I said... facts.

Latest posts

Latest posts