What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Have you dried your buds in cold temperatures? Or Outside?

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i used to dry buds in my garage in a cabinet with air being sucked through it... winter temps 30F-55F... takes longer to dry that way, but it works...

can't help you on the humidity subject, but 60-80% i would think that would drastically slow down dry time...

good luck :tiphat:

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Heya, have you read any of this thread from JusplainGil?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=186222

I know there are some nuggets of info regarding cold temps, not just freezer stuff, but people weighing in about more of the science if I recall.

Sorry to not give u direct answer, I just know theres nuggets of info in that thread about cold nuggetry.

GL!

Tyga

Veteran
Im thinking its the humidity man... Ive dried my buds in temps of 50-55F and they dry within 3-4 days... I have a small oscillating fan in the room that bounces air off an adjacent wall giving them a slight breeze. I would imagine I have really low humidity because after 4 days they are crisppyyy

SourPurp

I dry in temps 55-70 year round. It's 55 now, but my RH is only 40% and sometimes will drop to 35%. That's the key to drying in lower temps. One benefit of lower temps is you'll likely preserve more of the essential oils as a LOT of d yifferent ones evaporate at room temperatures. I notice that once I bring my dried/cured buds out of that environment and into a warmer one, the smells seem to explode. Like I'll take some medicine to someone and when I get there and open the jar, it's like stinkbbomb city. whereas in the jarring location, the smells are more subdued. Anyway, get your humidity down pronto. 60-70% is unacceptable in any temp.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
When its cold and RH is high, there is very light water that can be added to the air, without saturation. In effect this air can't take hardly any moisture. You need less RH or warmer air or faster air exchange, but the first two are the problem.

they'll dry fine, just takes a lil longer...turn on ur heat or add a heater to the drying area..dry heat like electric would be gd..it will help drop the relative hunidity down some..

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dried in 40-50 degree temps once and it took about twice as long to dry to the point of being jar ready. Just make sure they arent molding from remaining moist for too long and you will be fine. Slow dry is they way to go for smoother smoke.

Bluenote

I am looking for advice from people who have tried to dry their buds in a cold climate...45f-55f. I am having trouble getting my crop to dry timely, doesn’t seem to be drying at all!

The space I am forced to dry in stays between 45f-55f degrees and about 60-80% RH. Hanging for several days and do not seem to be drying up much at all. Im used to drying somewhere where the air is more ‘conditioned’ and temps are much higher. Usually, I see buds smoke-able around maybe 3-5 days and dry enough to cure /close up between 7-10 days. With the colder drying setup, after several days the plants are still wet.

Will my buds ever dry??? Humidity aside, (can try a dehuey I know is high) … will the cold temps alone prevent, or somehow mess up the drying process or just slow it down? I don't want harsh or flavor-less nugs and there is nothing worse than curing wet nugs.

What is your personal experience with drying in temperatures of 45f-55f? Am I ok; just need to have more patience? ;)

THANKS!

Bring the humidity down , and there's nothing whatsoever wrong with a slow dry and cure , quite often it results in better smoke.

I regularly dry in such temps , this time of year my drying space rarely gets *above* 55 , I keep fan going for air movement and a small dehumidifier keeps it around 50 %.

If you're jar curing make sure you burp those jars daily for a while after you get it into the jar. You'll be fine and patience will be rewarded in taste , aroma and smoothness , the concept of "aging" while not as long term as within the wine and liquor industries , *is* an applicable concept , it's not unusual to have smoke continue to improve over a period of months.

m4n

Yea bring that humidity down a bit...10-14 days will have them smelling nice,atleast that's what I noticed,more smell when I dry the buds slower...

mg75

2 week minimum dry until crispy. 3-5 months in paper bags in a cool place (just like yours).
that's how greenhouse seeds does it.

U

Ultra Current

I love drying in 50 degrees F. Put a small fan on them until they dry a little then turn it off so you dont dry too fast. Fan them for 3 or 4 days then turn it off. I do it often this way.

ive dried in the space behind my AC (super hot) and in a room that i cut off from the house heat (super cold), and the cold room seemed a little smoother smoke when it was finished initially IMO