What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Greetings from germany :)

doublezero

Hi everybody :)

As the title states I am from germany and I have been reading and viewing content on IC MAG
for a very long time. Well, I will continue doing that and appreciate all of you sharing your
knowledge and experience. Thank you :)

I have been experimenting in my 2x2x2 stealthy paranoia tent hidden in a lumber room for the
last 10 years or so using LED COBs (Cree). That specific setup in the tent was equipped
with a 50W LED (53,4 :D) and I watched my plants being exposed to all kinds of stress,
especially regarding temperatures, as the lumber room is in the pitch of the roof.

However, I think I learned something and I definitely love caring about plants, in particular
cannabis.

Now, that growing became kind of legal I went out with whatever genetics occured due to my
experiments :)

In addition to my Frankenstein genetics I am also popping some beans I bought online so that
I have something to "rely" on. These will include the following varieties.

BF
  • Ayahuasca Purple fem (received as a gift)
  • Lemon Tree fem
  • Cheese fem
  • Tangerine Dream auto (got 1 going right now)

RQS
  • Apple Fritter auto (received as a gift, 2 out of 3 did not pop, even with help)
  • Stress Killer auto (got 1 going right now)
  • Medical Mass
  • Euphoria (got 1 going right now)
  • Dance World

Well, for the experimental varieties obviously I do not have names. I would have to recall
from my notes what may be what :)

What went in the genetics I have here, although I am not able to be precise atm, include:

- Northern Lights (RQS)
- Royal Madre (RQS)
- Dr. Grinspoon (BF)
- a european hemp variety (probably Sathica, maybe Tiborszalasi)

I got the numbers 9, 17 and 34 going and am curious what the result will be :D
Also I try to reveg a 2, which I liked. This is only for reference for some photos. Of course
nobody is able to make sense of these numbers without any further information.

The soil I have been using has been reused I don't know hot often and amended with
a variation of LC's soilless mix from time to time. I call this my "old soil".

Currently my mix consists of the mentioned reused soil, regular potting soil, black earth,
Mykorrhiza/Trichoderma and sheep's wool. I call this my "new soil".

As for fertilizers during the grow - normally I do not use any.

I will be growing indoor again with a new setup after my outdoor plants are finished.

Cheers :)

Persianfarmer

Hi everybody :)

As the title states I am from germany and I have been reading and viewing content on IC MAG
for a very long time. Well, I will continue doing that and appreciate all of you sharing your
knowledge and experience. Thank you :)

I have been experimenting in my 2x2x2 stealthy paranoia tent hidden in a lumber room for the
last 10 years or so using LED COBs (Cree). That specific setup in the tent was equipped
with a 50W LED (53,4 :D) and I watched my plants being exposed to all kinds of stress,
especially regarding temperatures, as the lumber room is in the pitch of the roof.

However, I think I learned something and I definitely love caring about plants, in particular
cannabis.

Now, that growing became kind of legal I went out with whatever genetics occured due to my
experiments :)

In addition to my Frankenstein genetics I am also popping some beans I bought online so that
I have something to "rely" on. These will include the following varieties.

BF
  • Ayahuasca Purple fem (received as a gift)
  • Lemon Tree fem
  • Cheese fem
  • Tangerine Dream auto (got 1 going right now)

RQS
  • Apple Fritter auto (received as a gift, 2 out of 3 did not pop, even with help)
  • Stress Killer auto (got 1 going right now)
  • Medical Mass
  • Euphoria (got 1 going right now)
  • Dance World

Well, for the experimental varieties obviously I do not have names. I would have to recall
from my notes what may be what :)

What went in the genetics I have here, although I am not able to be precise atm, include:

- Northern Lights (RQS)
- Royal Madre (RQS)
- Dr. Grinspoon (BF)
- a european hemp variety (probably Sathica, maybe Tiborszalasi)

I got the numbers 9, 17 and 34 going and am curious what the result will be :D
Also I try to reveg a 2, which I liked. This is only for reference for some photos. Of course
nobody is able to make sense of these numbers without any further information.

The soil I have been using has been reused I don't know hot often and amended with
a variation of LC's soilless mix from time to time. I call this my "old soil".

Currently my mix consists of the mentioned reused soil, regular potting soil, black earth,
Mykorrhiza/Trichoderma and sheep's wool. I call this my "new soil".

As for fertilizers during the grow - normally I do not use any.

I will be growing indoor again with a new setup after my outdoor plants are finished.

Cheers :)
Hiya German brother,
Very exciting stuff. Looking forward to reading you more. If it is ok tell me more about your soil and the use of goat wool. Also what type of fertilizer are u using
Peace
PF

doublezero

Hey @Persianfarmer,
sure thing - back then I liked the idea (and still do) that I only would have to water my plants, which was mentioned in a thread about organic soil here on IC MAG. It proved to be true imho.

LC´s soilless mix (the variation I used)
below amounts equal 1 gallon (1 cup equals 250 ml)
  • 5 cups peat moss (would look for an alternative if my big bag of this gets empty)
  • 3 cups Perlite
  • 2 cups worm castings
  • 2 tbsp dolomite lime
  • 2 tbsp epsom salt (not sure about this, maybe only 1 tbsp)
  • 1/3 cup high N guano
  • 1/2 cup high P guano
  • 1 tbsp kelp meal
This mix has been (re)used over time - many years.
  • mixed used soil with fresh, standard potting soil
    • ratio 1:3 - 1:2 (used:fresh)
  • Added some fresh LC (maybe 10%)
My "new soil"
added important and/or experimental amendments to reused soil
-- Trichoderma + Mykorrhiza (small clayballs injected with the spores)
-- sheep´s wool (pellets, pestled)
-- black earth (Sonnenerde)
-- worm castings
-- potentially fertilize with "Blattwerk Pure" (bought this out of curiosity for my non-cannabis plants)

Top to bottom, left to right:
  • black earth
  • reused soil
  • standard potting soil (Compo)
  • sheep´s wool
  • Mykorrhiza/Trichoderma injected clayballs

new_soil_components.jpg

Here is my little Tangerine Dream auto taking a first look at the sun in this soil (after germination it went into the final home, a 10L fabric pot 75% filled)
TDA_20240630.jpg

Besides the fertilizers already mixed into the soil I only use(d) water and rarely anything else.

Persianfarmer

Hey @Persianfarmer,
sure thing - back then I liked the idea (and still do) that I only would have to water my plants, which was mentioned in a thread about organic soil here on IC MAG. It proved to be true imho.

LC´s soilless mix (the variation I used)
below amounts equal 1 gallon (1 cup equals 250 ml)
  • 5 cups peat moss (would look for an alternative if my big bag of this gets empty)
  • 3 cups Perlite
  • 2 cups worm castings
  • 2 tbsp dolomite lime
  • 2 tbsp epsom salt (not sure about this, maybe only 1 tbsp)
  • 1/3 cup high N guano
  • 1/2 cup high P guano
  • 1 tbsp kelp meal
This mix has been (re)used over time - many years.
  • mixed used soil with fresh, standard potting soil
    • ratio 1:3 - 1:2 (used:fresh)
  • Added some fresh LC (maybe 10%)
My "new soil"
added important and/or experimental amendments to reused soil
-- Trichoderma + Mykorrhiza (small clayballs injected with the spores)
-- sheep´s wool (pellets, pestled)
-- black earth (Sonnenerde)
-- worm castings
-- potentially fertilize with "Blattwerk Pure" (bought this out of curiosity for my non-cannabis plants)

Top to bottom, left to right:
  • black earth
  • reused soil
  • standard potting soil (Compo)
  • sheep´s wool
  • Mykorrhiza/Trichoderma injected clayballs

View attachment 19029736

Here is my little Tangerine Dream auto taking a first look at the sun in this soil (after germination it went into the final home, a 10L fabric pot 75% filled)
View attachment 19029739

Besides the fertilizers already mixed into the soil I only use(d) water and rarely anything else.
Thank you for sharing brother. Will incorporate some into my own supersoil version. Do you also use Lacto B, rice wash, or other organic fertilizers/stimulants?

doublezero

@Persianfarmer
I prepared LAB a few times just to see the process, which is as simple as it gets I guess. Also I prepared some juices and worked a little bit with IMO. But actually this was just for fun. I used LAB as foliar spray but could not tell any difference. I would have to do side-by-sides for example and just did not have the space to do so.

The fertilizer I mentioned earlier (Blattwerk Pure) seems to have some good stuff in it and is based off of plants. Maybe it is just another fertilizer among the many products out there. I will watch how my until recently stunted cutting of a single blade develops further using this product. It surely gained some serious biomass since I fed it with BP.

I also applied this fertilizer to one of my somewhat bigger plants, which shows some yellowing leaves from the bottom developing up. Maybe the fertilizer can give the plant what it needs.

One more thing regarding LAB - as I prepare my own milk kefir it would be an option to use the liquid produced during fermentation. Maybe there is some more variety in the species of lactobacillus than in rice wash, if that is important at all.

Persianfarmer

@Persianfarmer
I prepared LAB a few times just to see the process, which is as simple as it gets I guess. Also I prepared some juices and worked a little bit with IMO. But actually this was just for fun. I used LAB as foliar spray but could not tell any difference. I would have to do side-by-sides for example and just did not have the space to do so.

The fertilizer I mentioned earlier (Blattwerk Pure) seems to have some good stuff in it and is based off of plants. Maybe it is just another fertilizer among the many products out there. I will watch how my until recently stunted cutting of a single blade develops further using this product. It surely gained some serious biomass since I fed it with BP.

I also applied this fertilizer to one of my somewhat bigger plants, which shows some yellowing leaves from the bottom developing up. Maybe the fertilizer can give the plant what it needs.

One more thing regarding LAB - as I prepare my own milk kefir it would be an option to use the liquid produced during fermentation. Maybe there is some more variety in the species of lactobacillus than in rice wash, if that is important at all.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I also experimented with LAB by directly adding it to the soil for beneficial microbial purposes.
Regarding rice wash, as we consume rice a lot here, I use it to water the plants. I did observe a growth boost when using it.
Anyways thanks for your feedback.

doublezero

@Creeperpark
I have 3 plants in my new soil mix right now. I will watch closely how they perform. One of them you can see here.
The other 2 are are still in seedling stage. One of them you can see in post #6 above. I will post some pics in this thread soon.

@Persianfarmer
Regarding the use of sheep's wool I think this is traditionally used as a topping to help with water retention. I will have to experiment with the amounts but I noticed that it keeps moist for a longer period than my soil.
However, I decided to just mix it into my soil. I used 30g for a 4-5gal mix. Although it is said that you can't overdo sheep's wool I tend to use low to moderate amounts in general.

doublezero

@Persianfarmer
Yes, my nick is related to that material from back then ;)

BTW, I read that sheep's wool could be used solely as a grow medium. It was not related to cannabis but hey, I am trying to pop a seed in it and see what happens :D

Sheep's wool can also be prepared as a compost to replace peat, something I may try in the future.

Persianfarmer

@Persianfarmer
Yes, my nick is related to that material from back then ;)

BTW, I read that sheep's wool could be used solely as a grow medium. It was not related to cannabis but hey, I am trying to pop a seed in it and see what happens :D

Sheep's wool can also be prepared as a compost to replace peat, something I may try in the future.
Cool, that was the bomb hasch with red lebanese and manali cream…ah brings me back to the old times!!!! Nostalgia
Wow now thats a great thing to know that you can use the wool as a peat substitute…must have a pretty acidic ph then no?

doublezero

@Persianfarmer
I think it is the opposite, sheep's wool is more on the alkaline side but that may also depend on the specific product, if it has been cleaned or treated one or the other way. Just a guess. I doubt that the seed i am popping in SW will develop but you don't know if you don't try, right? :)

For a peat substitute you would not use pure SW but a compost based on that material. That's what I understood.

Persianfarmer

@Persianfarmer
I think it is the opposite, sheep's wool is more on the alkaline side but that may also depend on the specific product, if it has been cleaned or treated one or the other way. Just a guess. I doubt that the seed i am popping in SW will develop but you don't know if you don't try, right? :)

For a peat substitute you would not use pure SW but a compost based on that material. That's what I understood.
Ok good to know.
Well at one point I wanted to grow blueberries and needed canadian peat moss. And peat moss leans toward being acidic. Anyways I planted pistachios and almonds instead.
Will surf the net for the SW compost for a peat substitute, however if you have material to share please do! Actually any interesting read would be appreciated.
By the way i looked at your balcony pics and we have pretty much the same situation. Was just wondering why you do not LST your lovely plants it does help in having better yields as well. Or are you an old school rastafari grower, growing one huge main cola 😉

Latest posts

Latest posts