What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Getting prepared

doublezero

Hi everybody :)

Coming from a 2x2x2 grow space with 50W I will upgrade to a 2x4 tent and plan to start with this setup maybe in September or October. There are still some components missing. Here's what I have right now and how I want to proceed. I will be glad to read your comments/proposals/questions.

Light: Viparspectra 2024 XS 1500 Pro LED
Tent: Spider Farmer 120x60x150 cm
Ventilation: S&P TD-250/100 silent

There's some components still to be decided on / bought.

I will start with 150W and with this tent there is a potential to add another light.

Inside the tent I want to have some clean space for the plants and maybe some other equipment I would need to provide a proper environment for the plants.

Silence
I ordered silencer, which was pretty dented. I received another one and could keep the dented one for free. Here is a prototype of what it will look like. Those silencers really do a decent job. There is literally no sound from the airflow. It's only the ventilator that makes low sound.
exhaust1.jpg exhaust2.jpg

Cleanliness
I try to avoid having tubes in my tent. So I thought I give this option a try. I plan on using a ventilation grid which fits perfectly into the intakes. Of course I will use some material to prevent light leakage. I may change this once I find a good way to install tubes that would have to go through the whole room to get fresh air directly from outside. This also applies for the exhaust.
grid.jpg tent.jpg

Airflow question
I don't get why the intake is at the top of the tent. I am thinking of 2 possible solutions to have the fresh air directed to the bottom.
I mean, fans will make the air circulate but most of the air going in at the top would just be sucked out at the top, right? Is this a fallacy of thinking?

Cheers :)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi everybody :)

Coming from a 2x2x2 grow space with 50W I will upgrade to a 2x4 tent and plan to start with this setup maybe in September or October. There are still some components missing. Here's what I have right now and how I want to proceed. I will be glad to read your comments/proposals/questions.

Light: Viparspectra 2024 XS 1500 Pro LED
Tent: Spider Farmer 120x60x150 cm
Ventilation: S&P TD-250/100 silent

There's some components still to be decided on / bought.

I will start with 150W and with this tent there is a potential to add another light.

Inside the tent I want to have some clean space for the plants and maybe some other equipment I would need to provide a proper environment for the plants.

Silence
I ordered silencer, which was pretty dented. I received another one and could keep the dented one for free. Here is a prototype of what it will look like. Those silencers really do a decent job. There is literally no sound from the airflow. It's only the ventilator that makes low sound.

Cleanliness
I try to avoid having tubes in my tent. So I thought I give this option a try. I plan on using a ventilation grid which fits perfectly into the intakes. Of course I will use some material to prevent light leakage. I may change this once I find a good way to install tubes that would have to go through the whole room to get fresh air directly from outside. This also applies for the exhaust.

Airflow question
I don't get why the intake is at the top of the tent. I am thinking of 2 possible solutions to have the fresh air directed to the bottom.
I mean, fans will make the air circulate but most of the air going in at the top would just be sucked out at the top, right? Is this a fallacy of thinking?

Cheers :)
I love your silencer and garden setup friend. I think the ideal was to keep the heat from accumulating at the top of the tent. Either way, the main point is to keep a good cool breeze in the growing area. Keep us posted on your grow if it's safe.

doublezero

Humidity
I will be playing with a ReptiZoo TF07 Humidifier and just ordered a manual hygro-/thermometer for accurate results and calibrating other, digital devices.

Airflow
The airflow within the tent will be provided by USB fans only. 2 of them will be static to distribute the intake and 1 will be oscillating above the canopy.

Additional light
The light I will probably be adding is an old Cree COB that never let me down ;)

Temperature
Also, if necessary, I will be adding a temperature controller and a infrared heating as this is stuff I have here already. Currently I am not worried about too high temperatures.

I am curious to finalize the setup early August to do some checks.

If you have any thoughts please just let them flow into this thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor

You are right, of course. I have fan on my intake (lower tent rectangle and a 6"round) , a couple of circulation fans and an 8" exhaust fan (at the top of the tent) that I run on low.

doublezero

Boarding

So, here is the full list:

TentSpider Farmer 120x60x150 cm
LightViparspectra 2024 XS 1500 Pro LED
ExhaustS&P TD-250/100 silent with 2 silencers
FilterPrima Klima or something
Ventilation4 x USB Fan,
  • 1 powerful and oscillating
  • 2 blowing down left and right
  • 1 covering the space between max canopy height and light
HumidifierReptiZoo TF07
Overhead irrigationLucky Reptile Super Rain Nano
Some timers and stuff

Please stand by while the passengers take seat.
Meanwhile I check for Johnny-come-lately :D

I will be doing some cable management and calibrate the setup prior to the Take Off in 09/10 2024.

Only 60-70% of the available space will be used for my plants.

tent_setup_pre.jpg

doublezero

Added a little bit of safety and mounted the sprayers to the lighting fixture (front left, rear right).

It works and is a fun thing to do :)
There is still some testing to be done but it all looks promising as to what I would like to achieve, a good climate where it sometimes also rains at night, or when I want to.

humidification.jpg

sprayers.jpg

doublezero

Let it rain

Nerd level raised, so if you think this is weird ... that's just fine :)

I installed a little "roof" (seen in white) for the sprayers to prevent some bigger (well, still small) water droplets flying directly to the light fixture.
View media item 18720637

And then, well, then I built a solution to address the following circumstances that evolved for me around the setup for the overhead irrigation.

- a separate water tank for the sprayer pump with
- limited amount of water which
- should move and not just sit

My solution also has a nice side effect. The pump is exposed to oxygenated water so that the spraying is kinda irregular.

Why is the water oxygenated? Because the pump intake resides on the outer side of a mini-vortex created by a strange device. Oxygenation was not the goal here but the sprayer exhaust tweaking.

I grabbed a few parts and built my "limited-supply-moving-water-pump-control"
View media item 18720636

Optional lighting
My Cree COB will be placed on a small shelf, which I build myself. It may also help with low temperatures later on.
cree_cob.jpg

Humidity control
It's working as expected. The integrated hygrostat of the ReptiZoo humidifier does a decent job. The values correspond with my manual hygrometer. I have also some options to play around with the efficiency. 70-80% is currently the maximum I can reach with the device when running in "standard" mode.

doublezero

Boarding complete

I added an automatic irrigation system I used in the past and installed adjustable shelves for additional fans resp. light.

Soon I can start the preflight check.

boarding_complete.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts