What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Getting a Job

I'm still looking for full-time employment in the trade not just some part-time work when the guy needs me.

Yesterday made the third interview in a week: Got interviewed by an HVAC company for a helper position have a shot at it since one of his workers will be leaving in a month or two to go back to school (Wish he would fire him now since he's not trying to be apart of the trade.)

Second interview was two days ago got interviewed by an electrical contractor has around 7 guys looking to add a helper in the next two weeks because his contracts are increasing. Interview lasted for over an hour was a good one impressed the guy with my wiring skills and troubleshooting ability think I have a good chance.

Third interview was yesterday with Chickfila filled out an application over a month ago. Had a good interview and got hired on the spot.

What do all three of these have in common I pestered the owner (manage for chickfila) every week until they called me in for an interview. Anybody looking for a job keep trying this economy is as bad as the last great depression, don't think any politician in the current race will be able to save it. Unofficial unemployment rate is at 40% anybody thinking either one of these moderates will fix the problem is brain dead. If I get a call back from that electrical contractor best believe I'll be quitting chickfila even if I only work there a week.
I agree on unofficial unemployment near 40%. The amount of college educated minimum wage retail workers at the nearby outlets shows it first hand. This will stay this way for a long time as so many of these kids have worthless degrees like philosophy and political science meaning they won't get a better job without relearning new skills. Not to mention all the ones there who have a HS diploma at best. If they are lucky they can afford to go back to school and get them, if not they get to work min wage, live with parents, and pay an income based repayment schedule on their student debt. The future is truly bleak for most folks under the age of 35.

The areas of the economy that haven't saw wage deflation and still have good paying jobs (IMO of course):
1. Local/State gov
2. Healthcare
3. Finance/Banking
4. Insurance
5. IT

Last edited:

stc9357

Yeah been on the phone today managed to get another interview with an electrical contractor says he has more work than he knows what to do with so I'll probably get hired on he said for a temp position could extend to full-time.

stc9357

Have a full time job as an hvaC apprentice now and two part-time jobs an electrical apprentice I'm coming up. Thanks for all the support

supermanlives

Veteran
healthcare will always be good. dont forget about mechanics . people will always have vehicles needing work.i get lots of work by word of mouth.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
healthcare will always be good. dont forget about mechanics . people will always have vehicles needing work.i get lots of work by word of mouth.

Actually low level healthcare is currently one of the fastest growing job markets with a projected increase of 30% in the next few years. Things like home healthcare, dental hygenists, physical therapy, etc.

Tyga

Veteran
If your starting out with electrical and your not union good FuCKinG luck! I graduated an electrical program from a well respected school with a 96% average and still had no luck for over a year. Keep in mind im a clean cut kid also... Noone wants to take on a n00b.
Go to small time pizza/sub shops... Lawn care/Land scaping will be your best bet ... Fuck that corporate ishhh.......

junior_grower

Tyga yo0u have a ticket? Thimnk about a move to the oil sands. Jobs for Jman start at 42.50/hr. Most work 12-14 days on and 7 off. The bigger sites fly you in and out. I have heard of foreigners (us citizens) working and being flown home. The oil sands will hire any warm body, start them at 23/hr.

Tyga

Veteran
Tyga yo0u have a ticket? Thimnk about a move to the oil sands. Jobs for Jman start at 42.50/hr. Most work 12-14 days on and 7 off. The bigger sites fly you in and out. I have heard of foreigners (us citizens) working and being flown home. The oil sands will hire any warm body, start them at 23/hr.

What kind of ticket?

stc9357

What kind of ticket?

Journeyman ticket man- school is bs anyway will be going next semester to get my cfc certification- Full time apprentice and have three electrical companies I can work for as neede on the weekend pressing the flesh is the only way and I have a strike- I'm good thanks for caring bored to death since I cant smoke.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
^know a guy who was a bum-boy for a roofing crew, moved out there, 2 yrs later now he's running a crew of a dozen guys, $$$ BUT expensive housing. bunk up, and make a roll of cash.

stc9357

^know a guy who was a bum-boy for a roofing crew, moved out there, 2 yrs later now he's running a crew of a dozen guys, $$$ BUT expensive housing. bunk up, and make a roll of cash.

The requirements for HVAC license are rediciolous where I live 4,000 hours and 2,000 can be from school- I'll get that in 2.5 years- Still want to be an electrician though thats 5 years and then two as a journeyman- I'll own my own business in 15 years

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
hmm..hard to find work these days...just do what you think you should do to get a job...look nice, smell good, listen and be humble..it will literally roll around in a matter of hours...

Wonderon

It's an employer's market these days. I applied for a janitor job at a local college, decent pay, benefits and free classes. I didn't get selected and was told they had over 900 applicants....
I see jobs requiring college degrees paying 9-12 an hour, that's shit is crazy to me.