What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Genetics is a funny thing

MROrganicGreenz

I just wanted to show you something I found very fascinating. I am really into breeding (plants in general) and genetics and stuff and I know a lot about it, but I am always amazed about the effects of recombination and "unstable" genetics.

I had a Cookies Gelato Automatic from Royal Queen Seeds. Due to some stress I guess it threw some bananas and pollinated itself. I didn't really see that and it was in total just 7 seeds on > 25 g of dried flower. Two of those seeds fell into the pot of the plant and sprouted. After I harvested the big plant I just kept those two small seedlings and potted them. A few weeks / 2 month tops later they are looking veeeeery different from each other. The small plant started flowering just 2 weeks into growing. The other started 2 weeks later.

They are so much off from each other and I am fascinated by the huge range of genetics that you can get from Polyhybrids by selfing them. But see for yourself. One is very little yield but the smell is awesome and towards some zkittlz smell, the other is not really smelling at all. Small one is pretty frosty, and I thought the big one has no trichomes at all, but under the microscope there is a totally different picture. The big one has maaaany trichomes but they are super small. I have the feeling it is pretty much leaning towards some sativa genetics.

Tbh I didn't really put much effort in them since it was just dropped seeds, but I am pretty sure the big one isn't going to finish, but the small one might give me a few grams of interesting bud.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240916_104433 - Kopie.jpg
    20240916_104433 - Kopie.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240916_104439 - Kopie.jpg
    20240916_104439 - Kopie.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240916_104442 - Kopie.jpg
    20240916_104442 - Kopie.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

exoticrobotic

I am really into breeding

I had a Cookies Gelato Automatic

:biggrin:

Great fun breeding and making and trying different crosses and seeing how they combine isn't it.

If i were you i would try to stear clear of auto strains though, unless the particular variety had something outstanding about them.

Last edited:

spacetraveller

Avoiding the deleterious effects of Muller's Ratchet in that sort of selfing recombination might be a concern in the long run, it would be extremely difficult to improve a selfed line imo.
Outbreeding avoids this, and the potential for "better" plants than either parent is much higher!

MROrganicGreenz

:biggrin:

Great fun breeding and making and trying different crosses and seeing how they combine isn't it.

If i were you i would try to stear clear of auto strains though, unless the particular variety had something outstanding about thethem
Heya. Nooo I didnt wanna cross that. It was just selfing or crosspollination by accident. I would never try to cross an auto. I am super stoked about landraces and stable genetics. I just wanted to Show everyone whos interested, how super weird instable genetics can be.

I pollinated my "purple malawi x erdpurt" with a ketama Riff from TRSC male. The seeds will ripen soon. Hoping for some semi-auto flowering for the motherline, since I had to light depr. For flowering in the place where I live. Tbh I really dislike automatics and instable polycrosses. But I am fascinated by recombination.

;)

Latest posts

Latest posts