What's new

Genetic Drift?

K

kopite

ive had strains that did very well for for for a couple years, and then out of nowhere, the strain will mutate into bullshit.

this happened to me on a strain i ran called kushberry and now my third dimension has done it. the strain will be kill for a couple years and then, it will not grow anything like it did previously and start to herm really bad, causing tons of small immature seeds to form, rendering the bud almost useless. both these strains were from seed.

what causes this?

i know people will say, if you clone from a clone from a clone ect, this will happen. i say bullshit because ive ran strains for 4+ years before and it never happened and is still going around the bay area growing fine 8+ years later.....

i also only run my moms for 3-4 months max, then start with a new one....

i dont take shitty clones, i take pride in my clones, as i have a lot of patients to take care of.....

GxE= P in simple terms, I presume you are saying the original plant was from seed? now the G has stayed the same, has the Enviroment?

you have stated you ONLY run the mums fro 3 to 4 months max.. so every time to change the mums you run the risk of change/infection...do you keep the old mums?

if as you stated it started showing intersex traits and trying to reproduce this would imply STRESS would it not?

I would not call this Genetic drift though... Mutation(due to virus?) it certainly is and that narrows things down!!!

Kopite

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have to agree with kopite in that this is more an issue of stressful mutation, rather than some sort of genetic "drift".
The first clone passed on the exact same genetic map to every cutting...no matter if it were from seed, another clone, or revegged. None of those issues changes the genetic code present within the plant itself. And on the same token, each and every cutting had the ability to be stressed into what you are seeing now. The stress could actually have happened in previous generation of mums, and is just now showing itself.
And just like Shanti found out, it takes a good bit of work to recoup after such an event.
But the fact of the matter is that there was no genetic changes per se, only a realignment of what was already available.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I already hit the nail on the head answering his question, hoos... Post # 10. You are headed in the right direction but, study up on epigenetics to increase your understanding of the inner workings of biology, and the mechanisms by which temporary heritable changes in genetic expression can be made resulting from environmental problems. It is not a "stressful mutation", it is an epigenetic change induced environmentally.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I already hit the nail on the head answering his question, hoos... Post # 10. You are headed in the right direction but, study up on epigenetics to increase your understanding of the inner workings of biology, and the mechanisms by which temporary heritable changes in genetic expression can be made resulting from environmental problems. It is not a "stressful mutation", it is an epigenetic change induced environmentally.
Epigenetic drift, and all of it's mechanisms are still somewhat of a mystery to real biologists. Still hard to distinguish between changes that take place as a result of this drift, or other stress mechanisms.

I appreciate your concern for my increased knowledge, head...but I suggest that maybe you also do a little study. I don't really think that you can make the blanket statement that what the OP is experiencing is "nail on the head epigenetic drift".

Drift is the gradual departure from an intended course due to external influences. The key word here is gradual.

ESCOknows

ADD ONE MORE TO THE LIST

This is the same shit that happend to my Sour diesel x og kush i got back in 07 ... shit was FIRE for the first couple years then all of a sudden started to do the same thing Krunch said.... I had to pitch that bitch.

My mothers looked good, still cloned easy as fuck .. just turnd out like shit . weird ,i hate to hear this cause i know exactly what its like ... toss that shit and start over with some fresh stuff ,thats what i did .

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Epigenetic drift, and all of it's mechanisms are still somewhat of a mystery to real biologists. Still hard to distinguish between changes that take place as a result of this drift, or other stress mechanisms.

I appreciate your concern for my increased knowledge, head...but I suggest that maybe you also do a little study. I don't really think that you can make the blanket statement that what the OP is experiencing is "nail on the head epigenetic drift".

Drift is the gradual departure from an intended course due to external influences. The key word here is gradual.

I study all the time. And my statement was not a "blanket" one in any manner. It was the correct one.

It was just that the phrase you used "stressful mutation" demonstrated that you were pretty far off base. Please explain to us all exactly what a "stressful mutation" is. The answer to his question is epigenetic, not mutation of any kind. Stress does not change the genome, it changes the eipgenome.

His clones are not being mutated by stress, they are undergoing epigenetic changes. I clearly followed up with an explanation of what I meant.

Drift occurs in line breeding, not in clones of clones of clones.
And of course it is gradual, since it takes many generations, that's not the key word at all, just a component of the definition.

That's ok... you can think you already know enough and close your mind to learning something new, no skin off my nose.

whodair

Veteran
picture.php

ive never kept a mom. ive cloned from clone one strain since 1992. it has not changed a bit. so thats my experience with one strain, a keeper for sure !!

K

kopite

I study all the time. And my statement was not a "blanket" one in any manner. It was the correct one.

It was just that the phrase you used "stressful mutation" demonstrated that you were pretty far off base. Please explain to us all exactly what a "stressful mutation" is. The answer to his question is epigenetic, not mutation of any kind. Stress does not change the genome, it changes the eipgenome.

His clones are not being mutated by stress, they are undergoing epigenetic changes. I clearly followed up with an explanation of what I meant.

And of course it is gradual, since it takes many generations, that's not the key word at all, just a component of the definition.

That's ok... you can think you already know enough and close your mind to learning something new, no skin off my nose.

was it CX/darwin who said adaption is mutation.. anyway, riddle me this,, is an epigenetic effect a permanent effect? or not? was the Cheese a result of epigenetics or mutation ?

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/97/1/11

Kopite

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I know enough about the topic to know that you can't make the statements you are making... hack answers. Perfect example of what I was talking about concerning your demeanor. The pompous and presumptive are right on cue.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Great discussion guys! H3ad I think you "nailed it on the head".

I personally have never had a clone do this to me in the past. I have kept moms for about 6 to 8 months max and then take a clone and flower the mom out. Not once have I had a strain go crap on me and I have kept strains for 3+ years before finally making room for something new. Word of advice...keep the 2 best cuts when you take your last batch of cuts. It's a back up just in case one goes bad.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
no he was saying cloning unhealthy branches leads to unhealthy plants with more unhealthy branches being cloned. Stressful conditions over time can trigger heritable epigenetic changes.

Healthy branches make healthy clones in perpetuity... Continuing to take cuts from cuts of cuts which were all less than healthy can cause problems that are very time consuming and tedious to correct.

Poor selection in maintaining a seedline is an entirely different issue. I was talking Clones

What a great post. Exactly on point. So many will learn from this post. Thank You for contributing this post.

furious george

riddle me this,, is an epigenetic effect a permanent effect? or not? was the Cheese a result of epigenetics or mutation ?

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/97/1/11

Kopite

The current understanding is that whilst epigenetic effects do not encode themselves in the underlying DNA, they can exert an effect for many generations of cell divisions (so relevant to clones) and occasionally transgenerationally (as in studies that show that parents exposed to starvation conditions produced offspring acclimatized for conditions of scarcity) So as far as we know, No epigenetic effects are not permanent. Sometimes lasting, but not pemanent.

Cheese seems to me to be just another Skunk plant, with a heap of hype. The only thing that distinguishes it is a strong smell. I doubt this is the result of a novel genetic mutation or an epigenetic modification. But who can say? Only way to know is to study the genomes of the vast plethora of cannabis varieties and compare.

I think Grat3fulh3ad has given the OP the best answer they'll get

erbium

i know people will say, if you clone from a clone from a clone ect, this will happen. i say bullshit because ive ran strains for 4+ years before and it never happened and is still going around the bay area growing fine 8+ years later.....

I have a cut of SSH that has been alive since '94-'95. It is the meanest thing known in these parts and all that has slipped is a bit of yield.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I know enough about the topic to know that you can't make the statements you are making... hack answers. Perfect example of what I was talking about concerning your demeanor. The pompous and presumptive are right on cue.

Not being pompous or presumptive at all. I was really trying to correct you without being rude. And I assure you, your post needed correction badly.

There is no such thing as "stressful mutations", so your answer was only so much bullshit. I tried to be polite about it, and share some knowledge with you, but your personal feelings seen to get in the way of that. Don't go around trying to explain things you do not know about, you'll only confuse people.

If you want to bash me and my reply, then that is all well and good, anyone who cares at all about the answer can spend 5 or 6 hours studying the past 5 years worth of epigenetic discoveries and come to the conclusion that what you call "stressful mutation" is simply a misnomer for epigenetic response.

KOPITE:
Epigenetic changes are heritable but reversible.

so H3ad.....

riddle me this...

i had a mother start auto flowering on me a while back. It was a Serious Seeds White Russian...

does this fall into the same category? any thoughts on this?

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
so H3ad.....

riddle me this...

i had a mother start auto flowering on me a while back. It was a Serious Seeds White Russian...

does this fall into the same category? any thoughts on this?

What kinda lights was it under and how long was the photoperiod for? I had Serious Seeds Chronic under 24 hours of light and they were under fluoros...anyway, they pre flowered really hard when i switched to an 18/6 photoperiod and I know for a fact that old fluoro bulbs can cause flowering due to the frequency drop in light flicker.

What kinda lights was it under and how long was the photoperiod for? I had Serious Seeds Chronic under 24 hours of light and they were under fluoros...anyway, they pre flowered really hard when i switched to an 18/6 photoperiod and I know for a fact that old fluoro bulbs can cause flowering due to the frequency drop in light flicker.

24/7 light ALWAYS. HO - T5s

i dont have much footprint/space to play with

so i enlisted a vertical rack and dubbed it as my prop rack or the rack...so i could take advantage of vertical and increase footprint sorta speak

its laced with t5s bottom shelf is 2ft 8bulbs

next is 2ft 4 bulbs and so on.

so Calcio if that was the case....why didnt it happen to my other plants?

Latest posts

Latest posts