What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil = Advance Nutrients of Soil

RoadRash

FOFF got me to harvest but not without many hiccups, probably mostly due to shoddy quality.

OK, now I'm a little confused. I thought Foxfarm Ocean Forest was a good 'baseline' soil. Good enough for growing quality Cannabis. I've been hearing people talk about FFOF for about 15 years.

I switched from hydro to dirt in 2008, mainly because I met a very talented soil scientist who had their organic soil 100% dialed. I just bought from him and added a light P supplement ... Jamaican high-P bat guano.

Then I moved in 2011. I actually brought some dirt with me ... but then I ran out.

So I thought, "I'll just do (sort of) what I did before" ... but it wasn't the same. And earthworms can take a long time to turn banana peels into good primo dirt/ castings.

It took me a few grows to realize that I needed to find a good baseline, soil-wise.

I started out with Foxfarm Happy Frog soil conditioner.

Then a local store had a special on FFOF, $10 for basically everything Foxfarm, except for Foxfarm "light" (for seedlings.)

I loaded up. For now my soil mix is -
1 cubic foot Ocean Forest
10 fluid ounces dry Bone Meal (for Phosphorus)
5 fluid ounces Organic Wood Ash (for Potassium)

+ about 6 fluid ounces Bokashi (because the guy at the grow store gave me 2 bags).

Anyway, so far, so good. NO MORE LIQUINOX BLOOM. I over-nuted and one grow paid the price.

Is my soil mix OK ? The plants seem to like it.

I'm just watering with plain well water, and being very careful to drain the tubs the plant pots are sitting in, so that the roots aren't water-logged.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its nothing special that you cant do yourself.... I did a side by side using ff and amended soil with marine cuisine once...of lost.... build your own soil if ya got the time and space...

Durango68

I would be careful with Ocean forest. The stpre that sold it to me said I wouldn't need to feed fert for the first 4 weeks, but really you should need to fert at all and I ended up burning the plants TWICE before I realized it was the soil that was the issue.

Apache Kush

I would be careful with Ocean forest. The stpre that sold it to me said I wouldn't need to feed fert for the first 4 weeks, but really you should need to fert at all and I ended up burning the plants TWICE before I realized it was the soil that was the issue.

Get a Meter and get a base reading of the runoff of just the FFOF soil.

ex:

''I put some FFOF soil into a pot and put some water in the pot to get a little bit of run off. I wanted to know what was the pH and PPMs of my run off and compare it to the run off of the plants now.

When I tested the run off from the soil in the bag that was unused, I got a pH of 6.4 and a PPM of 1840.
I really didn't expect to see that at all but that just means that there is plenty of great nutes in the FFOF soil.
I tested the run off in the plants after that and all the plants that came from seed still had a run off of -+1500 and up
but the plants that had come from clone had used a lot more nuts and some of them were down to 870.
I still have no plans at all to nute any of the seeded plants for at least 10 more days but will be checking the run off every few days to collect some more data.......''

you have to wait on light feeding strains until the plants show a def.
or a least till 3 1/2 - 4 weeks of veg time (thanks to the EWC nitrogen, and the crab, & kelp etc.), then make the transition to getting ready to need heavy metals for flowering when your ppms get below 800-1000 in veg