What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil = Advance Nutrients of Soil

i grow with coco, so to me when i spend 20 bucks i want about 16 containeers filled up not 2-4, for outdoors id go to your local nusery and get your pick up truck bed filled up and amend it with perlite, done, with the extra dirt make a garden for yourself. buying bags of soil for 20 bones each doesnt seem like alot of money but it seems wastefull.

but like i said im sure the stuff is pretty fantastic ive seen what it can do in theese pics..very impressive buds, organi always comes out so beuatiful.

The thing I always think about is this.......... Cheap inexpensive soil is exactely that CHEAP.

You have more of a chance to mistakenly introduce gnats/white flys and other nasty pests into your garden before your plants even get a chance to get gong.

But I guess you can get a batch of junk FFOF as well.

I guess Im saying I wouldnt go with the "cheapest" DIRT (dead). But rather the least expensive SOIL (alive) if I had a choice.

Good luck!

Xtensity

Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil isn't really sold all to much for the nutrients in it... I think Mj growers buy it because it's well airated for root growth, just mix some perlite in with it.... It already has a pre-stabilized PH of 6.3-6.7, near perfect for MJ growing... which is one of the big reasons people use it... Many other reasons, read about it on the foxfarm site

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Exactly lol No way I could offord the FF this go round.
I would do my own mix if it is as simple as

soil, castings, perlite, stir lol

it is that simple, except substitute the "soil" for sphagnum peat, and add dolomite lime. 50% peat, 30% perlite, and 20% castings w/ 1 Tbls or 1 oz dolomite lime per gallon.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The thing I always think about is this.......... Cheap inexpensive soil is exactely that CHEAP.

You have more of a chance to mistakenly introduce gnats/white flys and other nasty pests into your garden before your plants even get a chance to get gong.

But I guess you can get a batch of junk FFOF as well.

I guess Im saying I wouldnt go with the "cheapest" DIRT (dead). But rather the least expensive SOIL (alive) if I had a choice.

Good luck!

I used to use OF exclusively and it's horrible for introducing thrips to your garden.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
To the OP - there really is no good reason for using FFOF, indoor or out. If you're going to amend your medium as been stated by others then you can do so both at a cheaper cost and without the unnecessary elements in FFOF, like triple phosphate (a synthetic, not to be confused with rock phosphate, a naturally occuring source of phosphorous, calcium & other micronutrients). Lowes or Home Depot sell Premier Mix 3.5 cu ft bales of peat moss that would work splendidly with any amendments you might wish to use. On its own it certainly won't offer much in the way of nutrition but that is a decision made by the grower - hand feed or amend soil to provide the plant.

Either way, you can build your own soil using much cheaper alternatives than FFOF. Consider that if you're making your own mix, using FFOF along with castings, perlite, etc; you've simply paid 20 dollars for 1.5 cu ft of peat moss. Not worth it, IMHO.

Outdoe - it is like Weird Jimmy said. If you choose to use just peat, perlite, and castings you'll need to stop by every now & then to feed the plant. But you have the option of amending the peat/perlite/castings with other food sources, like guano, bone & blood meal, kelp, etc;, and not having to visit to feed, just water & admire them. :)

blazingtimes

Guys I use mircale gro soil. Im looking to switch soils just to see if there is a difference by the way miracle-gro is a 21-7-14 which is the correct 3-1-2 npk mix for vegging pot (i read that in several posts). What is the npk ratio for fox farms ocean forest soil? Miracle-gro is also a 3 month feeding supply n seems to work well like this veg 4-5 weeks no xtra nutes added. When plants are put into flower i add fox farms or miracle-gro veg nutes ntil the plants show sex (2-4 weeks) then i kill the males and add bloom agents to da ladies. I forgot i use molasses from day 1 until lst day b4 harvest works well 4 me but im changing things up next grow just because i got a hydro setup for xmas. Hand me down but Im happy 2 have it. Im going to run a hydro grow and a soil grow and compare the 2, 2 see which 1 is better. P.s. this will be my 1st hydro gro wish me luck.

yikes, miracle gro soil is just nasty for MMJ, man. I'd get to something more natural too, just like some of the other guys have said.

I mean, I'm not too picky about organic or not, and the price is just too much for me, but go for a more MJ specific setup. You're not growing tomatoes....

:prettyplease:

lots of the same questions I'm having too, otherwise I'd answer more....peace dude

i wouldnt buy the ocean forest version. I prefer using foxfarms happy frog exclusivly. it has great beneficial bacteria in it and is cheaper than ocean forest. Ocean forest does not have enough nutrients in it to really do any good. it does have castings though. i always ammend happy frog with castings and some perlite.

-

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
use it and love it. grown about 30 strains or so in it with great results. i am a quality junkie not a yield junkie and i have had nothing but quality buds.

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
Iv used ffof for a while now and I get it for $10 a bag which I think is great and I usually mix perlite and happyfrog soil conditioner into it I can just water for a couple months before I see and def,but I was recently told by a trusty oldschool groer at the local nursery that foxfarm ocean forest is such a hit they ran out of complete compost and are now using pre un finished process compost so don't know if theyr quality is still there these days haven't yet read it in forums just heard it from my buddy

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
just picked some FFOF up today, didn't want to since I wanted that pro-mix bx or promix hp BUT the damn guy had NO CLUE what the hell I was talking about.....

oh well,

one more FFOF run won't kill me, just as long as I don't see more fuckin bugs like I saw in the last few bags I got.

you want cheap soil, i use a compost tumbler for my garden during the summer, i get about 30 gallons of black gold out of the thing every other week in the spring and just throw it in the garden or spot and work it in with what is there already, you could do the same..... but remember, for guerilla purposes, perlite sticks out like a sore thumb. try using a different medium for drainage, like pea stone or sand whatever works. i usually throw in good castings, peat, coco, green sand, different guano's, soil acidifier, garden lime, as well as bone meal, and blood meal, work it all together. just water, all year, with some extra nutes during heavy flowering.... once august is almost over, straight h20.... mmm mmm good.

Xtensity

I personally use ocean forest soil because it already has the items mixed in it that make up decent soil. The PH is also balanced in the nice 6.5 range.

It would take you much longer, cost you much more if you were to go out and buy all those materials on your own and make soil that is equal in quality. The reason it would cost you more is because when they make it, they buy materials in bulk, which saves them tons of money which is how they profit.

It's a win win for them and you if you use it.

It sure is possible to grow in other soils, but Ocean Forest has a great variety of things to keep your plant healthy and to keep the PH level of soil stable, among many other things.

ACIZTIRROB

If you think $25 for enough soil to grow 3-4 plants, on average, is too much money to spend, then you are cheap and I don't know what to tell you other than that, lol. For what it's worth, you don't have to feed for a good 4-6 weeks of veg using FFOF. Whoever told you it was only 2 was incorrect.

TP FROM 1G CONTAINER INTO FFOF. WAS TOLD NOT EXCEPTIONAL FOR VEG BUT MOST APPROPRIATE FOR FLOWERING. IN 5G NUTES WOULD LAST AT 3 MONTHS.

Snype

Veteran
Been using FFOF since 1999. Lately I've only seen low pH batches but I still buy it. It's $25 a bag for me but when Snypette goes to the store, they give it to her for like $12 so I just let her go to the store alone to get everything for so much cheaper. I guess it pays to be a girl.

surfguitar

FOFF got me to harvest but not without many hiccups, probably mostly due to shoddy quality. I was able to turn around most the plants by heavily top dressing EWC.

A bag of 1.5 cuft FFOF cost me about $15. It cost me about $80 to make 4cuft of extremly high qulity water only soil from pretty easily obtainable ingredients. When you compare the $40 dollars for FFOF and $40 for bottled nutes you will need it's a no brainer. You're putting your whole grow in the hands of a big corporation, no thanks.

ACIZTIRROB

just picked some FFOF up today, didn't want to since I wanted that pro-mix bx or promix hp BUT the damn guy had NO CLUE what the hell I was talking about.....

oh well,

one more FFOF run won't kill me, just as long as I don't see more fuckin bugs like I saw in the last few bags I got.
y

FF .com faq regarding organics, pests and product info
Ocean Forest® Potting Soil
Good Things From the Earth and Sea!

The ultimate potting soil—everything your plants need, in one bag. Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano, and sea-going fish and crab meal.

Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

Garden tip: Perfect for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try an organic blend like FoxFarm Big Bloom® Liquid Plant Food to encourage strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit.

Don’t Bug Me® contains pyrethrum, which is derived from chrysanthemum flowers. It is environmentally friendly, but because Don’t Bug Me® contains a synergist called piperonyl butoxide that helps activate the pyrethrum, it is not classified as a 100% organic pesticide. Even organic products need to be used with care. Please follow package directions carefully when applying Don’t Bug Me®, and remember that encouraging beneficial insects and tolerating a little bug damage will make your garden healthier in the long run. (Hint: plants that produce clusters of small flowers, like alyssum, yarrow, and feverfew, will attract beneficial insects that attack pests.)
Within a few days of planting you may begin to notice a brownish-yellow fungal mass that appears on the surface of your mix. You may also notice small amounts of a green fungus that forms around the ventilation holes of your soil bags. You may ask yourself the following.

What is it? These fungi are actually a naturally occurring substance that can be found on certain types of barks, such as composted pine barks, which are a good thing. They let you know that the soil is alive and the biological micro-organisms within the soil are doing their jobs to assist in creating a healthy soil web.

Why does it happen? Pine bark is aged and composted for long periods of time before the final screening and use in our mixes. The natural ageing process of the bark occurs during the composting process and is facilitated by the microbes naturally found in our environment. With the proper conditions consisting of the right temperature and moisture, the fungi produce mycelium (white strands) in the windrows. This is the vegetative stage of the fungus. When the bark is properly aged, it is then blended into our mixes with other fine ingredients and bagged. With the right moisture levels, coupled with warm sunny days, these soil microbes will grow and you may see them in your bags. Healthy soils are ideal conditionsfor fungi to complete their life cycle. Here, at FoxFarm, we treat organics as they were meant to be treated: as living organisms. This means that each soil blend is not steam-sterilized, but rather a living creature full of life. This may be why you have not noticed these fungi in other soils as they may be steam-sterilized. These natural fungi are the result of the ageing process and are a sign that your soil is continuing to be a healthy environment for a plant to thrive in. These mycelium will not harm your plants in any way.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
To the OP - there really is no good reason for using FFOF, indoor or out. If you're going to amend your medium as been stated by others then you can do so both at a cheaper cost and without the unnecessary elements in FFOF, like triple phosphate (a synthetic, not to be confused with rock phosphate, a naturally occuring source of phosphorous, calcium & other micronutrients). Lowes or Home Depot sell Premier Mix 3.5 cu ft bales of peat moss that would work splendidly with any amendments you might wish to use. On its own it certainly won't offer much in the way of nutrition but that is a decision made by the grower - hand feed or amend soil to provide the plant.

Either way, you can build your own soil using much cheaper alternatives than FFOF. Consider that if you're making your own mix, using FFOF along with castings, perlite, etc; you've simply paid 20 dollars for 1.5 cu ft of peat moss. Not worth it, IMHO.

Outdoe - it is like Weird Jimmy said. If you choose to use just peat, perlite, and castings you'll need to stop by every now & then to feed the plant. But you have the option of amending the peat/perlite/castings with other food sources, like guano, bone & blood meal, kelp, etc;, and not having to visit to feed, just water & admire them. :)
I like the premier mix peat moss idea I noticed it in poster Endur's threads i'm always looking for a way to save a buck. :tiphat: