What's new

Fermented plant extracts

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
There are other studies out of British Columbia where the majority of greenhouse produce is grown - tomatoes, some lettuces, so-called 'hot-house cukes' (aka English Cukes which is a pretty big slam on Great Britian)..

CC

Sorry for the stupid question, but why is it a slam?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
ixnay007

The English have a long history in gardening, i.e the Royal Botanical Society established in 1839, etc.

To lay this tasteless produce item at the feet of our English friends is at least offensive. Call it for what it is - Dutch Cukes. They've earned it with their other weird contributions to the food chain - hot-house tomatoes, Bibb lettuce, Bell pepper hybrids for the color only.

Yeah - Dutch Cukes! That's the ticket! Oh and you could throw in a reference to Canada and the greenhouse operations in British Columbia

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Ahhh, illumination. I was wondering, because the english love a good cucumber sandwich, I guess the important word there is good :)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
For 'real world' use of Comfrey (Bocking 14), the English sites are the ones to hit and read. On this accumulator the information is pretty extraordinary. Long, long history of using Comfrey dating back to the 1790's as a livestock fodder source.

The use of this plant as a fertilizer didn't arrive until the 1860's but the main focus was and still is as a feed source for livestock, poultry, etc.

Nice chaps across the pond!

CC

S

SeaMaiden

That wasn't really the point of the post, i.e. buying oils but if that's the way you want to go then hit Mountain Rose Herbs in Eugene, Oregon. They have almost every botanical oil you could come up with and then some.

Much, much less expensive than a health food store by leaps and bounds.

CC

Of course, how could you know that I'd been looking at that bottle of EcoTrol?

The more I get to know about Oregon, the better I like the place.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Let me try this again - looking at a professional bio-pesticide (or bio-fungicide) product, reviewing the 'Active Ingredients' what I was trying to explain is that using raw materials (Rosemary leaves, Peppermint leaves, etc.) is the better way to approach this.

"Make your own" from plant material and you'll get a more integrated and complex group of Secondary Metbolites.

Back to the example of a Vitamin C tablet vs. a whole Orange. Azamaz (pure crap) vs. organic Neem oil. Kelp meal vs lifeless powdered seaweed extract, et al.

CC

mapinguari

Veteran
Any experience with Oenanthe sarmentosa, a k a Pacific water parsley? It's a relative of the dropwort recommended as a basis of FPE (or "FPJ," fermented plant juice) gardening in the Korean tradition, apparently.

And there's a bunch near me, which is why I ask.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Thanks for the question. I'm not familiar with the name so I looked at some images online. That plant is everywhere in Oregon but i never gave it much attention.

I'd do this - harvest some leaves and flowers and let it sit in water for about 3 days or so. Water some cheap plants from Home Depot - marigolds, pansies, petunias, etc.

That's a cheap way to test......

mapinguari

Veteran
Thanks, Clack. It would be cool to find a useful and abundant new one.

I've got a throwaway Green Crack that will give me cannabis-specific feedback, I think I'll try that.

shmalphy

Veteran
Please use the utmost care when collecting members of the wild carrot family. It is oft ill advised, as the lookalikes (hemlock) are so deadly...

mapinguari

Veteran
Please use the utmost care when collecting members of the wild carrot family. It is oft ill advised, as the lookalikes (hemlock) are so deadly...

Good call, shmalphy. The specimens I collected look a lot like water hemlock, which is pretty poisonous.

However, I cannot find any record of that one in my county; mainly it seems to live in W. Europe. (I'm talking about Oenanthe crocata.) Meanwhile, the Pacific water parsley IS native to my area, and matched the botanical description to a T.

Even so, and despite some records of Native American use of the water parsley as food, databases seem wary of this plant, if only because of its family line.

You bet I'll be careful, and not swigging this one myself (least till I know a lot more about it!)

S

SeaMaiden

Whoa. I had no idea, as I was looking at my carrots that I've allowed to go to seed yesterday and wondered about wild carrots.

I swear, if it's not a snake or someone trying to run me over while I'm on my motorcycle, it's gonna be me falling down or killing myself by sampling something NOT edible.

And here I've been planning on a quiet, peaceful death in my sleep for so long.

shmalphy

Veteran
Poison hemlock can even cause skin irritation, so even if you don't drink it, applying a foliar feed, especially to a large garden, could cause serious health trouble...

"Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt."

S

SeaMaiden

Now I need to go through my California ID books to see if there is anything like it up here in the Sierra.

So much to learn, so little time.

mapinguari

Veteran
Poison hemlock can even cause skin irritation, so even if you don't drink it, applying a foliar feed, especially to a large garden, could cause serious health trouble...

"Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt."

Oenanthe sarmentosa is fairly similar to Western water hemlock (Cicuta douglasii) in its size, appearance, and habitat. The two can be distinguished, however, by their leaves.

I have just been looking into this, so please don't take any of this too seriously, or start running around eating wild carrot-type plants; there may be other poisonous species to worry about besides Cicuta d., although that appears to be the main culprit in human and livestock poisonings in North America.

SeaMaiden, here's Calflora on O. sarmentosa: http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=5881

Thanks for the point about skin irritation, shmalphy.

G

greenmatter

one more goofy question ........

i've been testing the 1:500 mix ratios on enough different plants that i feel o.k. about dousing the entire garden. i always do this with my rain barrel and a sprinkler pump because i need 200 gallons to get the job done.

how important is it to have all the chlorine out of the water with FPE ?

the first barrel will be rain water so i don't have to worry, but after that it's all tap water.

should i dump some compost in the fresh barrel and give it an hour to do it's thing? let it sit overnight? or maybe not over think this, because i shouldn't be worried about it anyway?

thats 4 goofy questions

Oregonism

one more goofy question ........

i've been testing the 1:500 mix ratios on enough different plants that i feel o.k. about dousing the entire garden. i always do this with my rain barrel and a sprinkler pump because i need 200 gallons to get the job done.

how important is it to have all the chlorine out of the water with FPE ?

the first barrel will be rain water so i don't have to worry, but after that it's all tap water.

should i dump some compost in the fresh barrel and give it an hour to do it's thing? let it sit overnight? or maybe not over think this, because i shouldn't be worried about it anyway?

thats 4 goofy questions

Every set of water so to speak is different like a snowflake or fingerprint, so it handles [read:buffers] chlorine slightly different, especially with respect to whatever micro-life it may hold as well [why i don't like UV-C]

Chlorine is used to remove pathogens from the drinking water supply here in the US. Free chlorine bonded with organic matter can form chloramine. Some are using this instead and this is a separate problem because it turns into an ammonia compound, which will polute too.

Aeration is key, normally if I have standing water, I expose it for at least 48 hours.
[This is often forget, but even filling a bucket up, for instance, while spraying water with your thumb halfway over the opening is aeration, it has to play some part in reducing the chlorine]

Aerated water some claim can be chlorine free in as little as an hour for even a few gallons. You would need a probe to verify that, in my opinion.

I sometimes have to use the main water supply [when the rain isn't falling] and I always wanted to use a DIY small sand filter to remove contaminants. Just let gravity do your work in a few hours.