What's new

fellow Bikers I welcome you to the IC mag Automotive forum

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'm a biker.....but without my bike 'cos I had to sell it when I was detained in 2013 after only having the chance to ride it for a month.

picture.php

BUT WHAT A MONTH!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
If you ever get to Coventry, the Transportation Museum has every British bike ever made. Awesome place. I wonder if Duke still puts the shift on the left side.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I've been 'sent to Coventry' before.......but never actually been there....lol

But thanks for the info. P'raps I will pop up there one day for a butchers.

If you ever get to Coventry, the Transportation Museum has every British bike ever made. Awesome place. I wonder if Duke still puts the shift on the left side.

*who's Duke?....the shift on my Ducati was on the left hand side, and just about every bike I've ridden has been the same.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of the old british bikes were right side shift . my 63 , 65 & 70 BSA's were all right side shift .

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Ducati's late 60s early 70 had left side shift too.

If you're in to British bikes, that museum had a Norton 750 John Player Special. They also had a BSA Goldstar.

Brother Nature

Reminds me of a story I heard from my uncle recently. We were looking at his old Triumph Thunderbird, in parts in his garage, talking about how shit it was to ride the old drum brakes in the front, how they basically become useless in the wet. So I go "How did you guys ride those all the time back in the day?" He pulls up his pant leg to reveal some intense scarring and the fact his left leg is a good 3in shorter than his right. "That's how." You old fellas really paved the way for us young uns so I gotta lot of respect and love for those old bikes.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Hey Bush Dr...

Yes you are right, the Diavel I had was the Carbon 2012 model.....with the termignoni exhaust system.

I'm quite a big chap (17 and a half stone/6ft), so the Diavel suited me well, and was the best bike I ever had. I particularly liked the seating position.

...one day I hope to own another one.

jesbuds

Hey Bush Dr...

Yes you are right, the Diavel I had was the Carbon 2012 model.....with the termignoni exhaust system.

I'm quite a big chap (17 and a half stone/6ft), so the Diavel suited me well, and was the best bike I ever had. I particularly liked the seating position.

...one day I hope to own another one.

I was really surprised how much I liked riding the Diavel, it's a damn comfortable bike but only did a short test ride on a Ducati Tour Event. I don't think there's been a Ducati yet that I've not liked riding though...

Buddy few months back got a 2017 Multistrada, nice looking bike and to me crazy amounts of tech on it. Bet the ride is uber plush compared to mine, one of these days I might see if I can try it.

Hard for me to justify Ducati cost right now though and I've become really fond of my Versys 650, kinda the perfect little bike for me.

Multi on left, Versys on right:
Twl8tk6.jpg

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Some of the old british bikes were right side shift . my 63 , 65 & 70 BSA's were all right side shift .

My brother had a BSA Goldstar. 500cc Single. You really had to know how start it bc it was easily capable of launching you over the handlebars or breaking your ankle. At the time, it was the fastest bike out there.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'm tempted by many bikes out there, but since these days I am 'Marooned' in the UK, I would have to do my bike test here first since my Philippino licence ran out a coupla years back, then look for a bike I could afford at that time, getting insurance as a new licence holder, etc...

It is something to wade thru, and it ain't cheap...
Not tempted by the V4?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The technology has evolved so much. I always wanted an oldie, Something like a Norton 750 Commando, but the idea of giving up fuel injection and disk brakes is out of the question. The Harley doesn't get bragging rights for speed but I find it to be plenty fast enough and a great ride.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100 a couple years ago.
Modern bike by all means, fuel injection, disc brakes etc... but still a Bonneville.
Great to ride too, these things are just overall very good bikes with a look I like.
70hp is not the world, but enough for me and 4 cyclinders are just two too much.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
It is something to wade thru, and it ain't cheap...

It's not going to get any easier or cheaper, however once you've passed keeping it up to date is free with 1 day a year with a Police motorcyclist, starting with an hour at Castle Coombe race circuit, followed by a day out on the roads, swapping front place every hour ....get friendly with the plod

Had a Goldie, fucker used to spit back out of the GP carb and set fire to my jeans, my Rocket Gold Star was faster

Stay with modern bikes, having the 750 Norton blow another set of main bearings is soul destroying, I gave up with the 850 Combat engine after the 5th set of mains

I withdraw my question about the V4 in light of the recent recall for self igniting fuel tanks

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The technology has evolved so much. I always wanted an oldie, Something like a Norton 750 Commando, but the idea of giving up fuel injection and disk brakes is out of the question. The Harley doesn't get bragging rights for speed but I find it to be plenty fast enough and a great ride.

agreed , but as i get older ... fast isn't so much in the equation as much anymore , reliability & a smooth comfy ride is more to my liking ! like going from a muscle car to an old caddy lol

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
agreed , but as i get older ... fast isn't so much in the equation as much anymore , reliability & a smooth comfy ride is more to my liking ! like going from a muscle car to an old caddy lol

Me too. Comfort cruise is where it's at. I still like to get on it some times. Shit, I was in a Rav4 hybrid the other day and some asshole in a chevy volt wanted to run it. I blew his doors off. Compared to my younger years, I felt like I was in a wheel chair race.:woohoo:

mayorofthdesert

got my bike out of the apartment living room yesterday. struggled to bleed the clutch line after rebuilding the master cylinder. tried everything including a vacuum bleeder. what finally got it was twisting the m/c on the bars until the banjo bolt was the highest point in the line, cracked it loose and used a syringe to push fluid up the line from the bleeder nipple. this weekend i'll pull &clean the carbs.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
mines down right now too , back brakes need bleeding after replacing the brake light switch ..... my cousin is trying to find his vaccum bleeder ...... not gonna work though huh Mayor ???? pumping them up didn't work , not a long enough stroke on the brake lever . we though the vac would .....
a100cc syringe & a length of hose might just be the trick ...... Thanx Bro !!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts