What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Dutch coffeeshops - post your latest reviews here!

SunnyListon

It looked like the kind of mold that you find on for example swiss cheese, the one you eat. Like the blue cheeese that you can eat. It was great and the most expensive on the menue.

velorex

i remember moldy afghani hash from many years back. story i was told then was that the mold eats some of the non psychoactive parts of the hash, leaving you with less weight and a more potent product. not sure if that was true, but the mold was intentional and the hash amazing

Sativied

Veteran
Please could you tell me where this menu is from ,
for 94' it seems a bit light ,
just " skunk " ( means only one neder wiet ) between bricks bud ?

i think at this time i had more choices ( skunk , nl ,shiva , haze ) and many early cross ( K2 , T44 , Pepsi , Misty , etc ... , and i'm just talkin' about the commercial side ! )
I worked in a coffeeshop in 1994, and have visited more dutch shops than I can remember. Skunk, superskunk, orange, NL, shiva, etc was long common by then yes but, coffeeshops started out mostly as hash shops and some stuck with that angle much longer than others. Most cities with more than a few shops had one or more shops that were the place to go for hash. The menu posted looks like one of those shops.

zaprjaques

da boveda kid
i remember moldy afghani hash from many years back. story i was told then was that the mold eats some of the non psychoactive parts of the hash, leaving you with less weight and a more potent product. not sure if that was true, but the mold was intentional and the hash amazing
maybe a byproduct of curing like cobs or something.

bibi40

I worked in a coffeeshop in 1994, and have visited more dutch shops than I can remember. Skunk, superskunk, orange, NL, shiva, etc was long common by then yes but, coffeeshops started out mostly as hash shops and some stuck with that angle much longer than others. Most cities with more than a few shops had one or more shops that were the place to go for hash. The menu posted looks like one of those shops.
i know that , for sure ,

at this time i did try a lot along the south border ,
at the time we go to breda or hulst for get the good weed ,
and more to rozendaal or bergen op zoom for best hasch .

terneuzen for the not so/so since it was the quickest to reach for us ...
( and a'dam for the news one obviously ... )

;)

Last edited:

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
the mold was intentional

Intentional fungal terps? Lung spores?

Surely the hash would have been even better without the mushroom content? Unless the fungus is psychoactive, not sure why it would be desirable. Each to their own though.

Ive seen modern afghan and border hashes full of mold still, as a result of bad hygiene and low quality production/storage methods.

Peace

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Funny if that was true @velorex about the fungus eating the contaminants. Way less work than static tech to remove contaminant, wonder if the mold eats the trichome stalks and burst trichomes too, leaving nothing but 100 percent trichome heads. Mold tech 🤣

It does make sense as long as you’re prepared to smoke the toxic byproducts of the fungus eating the cellulose.

Peace

velorex

Intentional fungal terps? Lung spores?

Surely the hash would have been even better without the mushroom content? Unless the fungus is psychoactive, not sure why it would be desirable. Each to their own though.

Ive seen modern afghan and border hashes full of mold still, as a result of bad hygiene and low quality production/storage methods.

Peace
the story went that this type of mold was local to afghanistan and wouldn't hurt you when smoked, was just a thin white layer on the outside of the piece. was one of the types of hash that the old hippies got misty eyed talking about. that and white kashmir screws. 30 years ago a friend used to get big shipments of hash, sometimes there would be a few small pieces of some real exotics on top of the normal stuff. haven't seen any of them since.

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
2nd stop was Terps army ,

View attachment 19016710

where i took some " Washing machine " :

View attachment 19016709

he did wash my head for sure , really terpy and strong ,
will add a live smoke test soon ...
( now !!! )
smells menthol/eucalyptus too
more a H taste i'm used too ,
i like it ,

had to retry the sour apple to be sure ,
but i think for now the better one of this round in my opinion !

i' m really shocked about the piatella's prices !
if any spanish friends pass by there , would be happy to know Barcelona's prices for this since it' s really outrageous there ( 5 grams for 500€ , is it a joke ? ) , would like to try but certainly not participate to this hold up !

Piatella from uncles farm in BCN where it originated was going for 150€ a g when it first dropped, not sure if it remains that expensive but it’s definitely something for very special occasions!

Peace

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
the story went that this type of mold was local to afghanistan and wouldn't hurt you when smoked, was just a thin white layer on the outside of the piece. was one of the types of hash that the old hippies got misty eyed talking about. that and white kashmir screws. 30 years ago a friend used to get big shipments of hash, sometimes there would be a few small pieces of some real exotics on top of the normal stuff. haven't seen any of them since.

Interesting that it was only on the outside, whenever Ive seen moldy hash it’s penetrated the whole piece due to trapped moisture having been sealed without proper drying.

I wasn’t smoking hash 30 years ago though. Love old hash stories, did you ever read the Mr Nice books?

Peace

velorex

love the mr nice book, a true hero.
talked with a couple of old friends, they both remember the mold afghan. the afghanies buried it in the ground for months, then they would scrape of the mold and sell it as the best quality. not sure if the mold did anything, or just a cure from time. very curious now

goingrey

love the mr nice book, a true hero.
talked with a couple of old friends, they both remember the mold afghan. the afghanies buried it in the ground for months, then they would scrape of the mold and sell it as the best quality. not sure if the mold did anything, or just a cure from time. very curious now
Wonder if it could have been buried in sheepskin, and the "mold" some kind of reaction from contact with it?

Like is still done nowadays, well 12 years ago anyway:

Stoneymelony

They sold it in dutch coffeeshops as ' schimmel-kashmir. It was on top of the list ,most expensive I think '12 gulden'. It was I think 1987/1988/1989.I smoked this and I remember that It was pretty strong at that time. After that period I've not seen It anymore. They told it was getting the mold after they pressed the hash. Then cured it and get molded, like cheese.

Last edited:

haze*ekiel420

Heyhooo guys, the mold/schimmelafghan Story is a stoner myth😂 Like the guys before Said, its damn toxic.. Even good hash can mold, so there is no conflict.. diddnt cerniak Write something about mold-afghan?

Howard Marks got Tons on Commission😂 dea had no real meassures but tapping phones.. he is no Hero in my Book, just Lucky ..

Nice evening to all🪬

SunnyListon

They sold it in dutch coffeeshops as ' schimmel-kashmir. It was on top of the list ,most expensive I think '12 gulden'. It was I think 1987/1988/1889.I smoked this and I remember that It was pretty strong at that time. After that period I've not seen It anymore. They told it was getting the mold after they pressed the hash. Then cured it and get molded, like cheese.
Oh, yes!
They called it "Schimmel-Kashmir" !

Sativied

Veteran
Oh, yes!
They called it "Schimmel-Kashmir" !
I'd smoke that.

'Mr. Nice' is just one of several examples of people who used to get hash from the east (from my location, NL). Like I said before, coffeeshops in NL started out mostly as hash shops, with outdoor flower. The hash was basically separated in two categories, far away import hash (India, Afghanistan and Nepal for example) and Moroccan (and Lebanese of course). Nowadays, after the government started interfering more, most of the hash is Moroccan. (it's legal for a shop to sell 5 gram per person, it's not legal to grow, sell to a shop, or for a shop to buy, let alone imported stuff. With the large Moroccan community in NL the Moroccan stuff is still very much accessible).

Real Temple Balls and charas for example is at least in my area (not-Amsterdam) pretty rare... pretty much non-existent. Lots of the hash nowadays is local, made from trim and fluff from grows mainly for bud. Like Gorilla Glue hash... or hash made from sativa-dom hybrids... concentrate... it's effective but nothing like the oldschool import. To me that's like wine made from wheat and hop, or beer made from grapes. Yeah, would definitely prefer some Schimmel-Kashmir even though I never smoked or seen it myself.

Last edited:

Stoneymelony

I'd smoke that.

'Mr. Nice' is just one of several examples of people who used to get hash from the east (from my location, NL). Like I said before, coffeeshops in NL started out mostly as hash shops, with outdoor flower. The hash was basically separated in two categories, far away import hash (India, Afghanistan and Nepal for example) and Moroccan (and Lebanese of course). Nowadays, after the government started interfering more, most of the hash is Moroccan. (it's legal for a shop to sell 5 gram per person, it's not legal to grow, sell to a shop, or for a shop to buy, let alone imported stuff. With the large Moroccan community in NL the Moroccan stuff is still very much accessible).

Real Temple Balls and charas for example is at least in my area (not-Amsterdam) pretty rare... pretty much non-existent. Lots of the hash nowadays is local, made from trim and fluff from grows mainly for bud. Like Gorilla Glue hash... or hash made from sativa-dom hybrids... concentrate... it's effective but nothing like the oldschool import. To me that's like wine made from wheat and hop, or beer made from grapes. Yeah, would definitely prefer some Schimmel-Kashmir even though I never smoked or seen it myself.
You're right most of the shops I knew back half in the 80's had only hash and a few imported weed strains. I lived in the area east Netherlands, Arnhem. My shops to go where 'Leer om leer, zero zero ( still there) and Rasta (shop on klarendal) You have had also some 'red and yellow Libanon' it was very cheap and you had some Turkish hash wich was very good choice also at the time. But .oet of the time it was Ketama or zero zero. You could.buy for 100 gulden 20 grams as a 14 year old guy and it was no problem in 1985 😅 Also you You had some Tai weed and Colombian weed, but always lot of seeds in those. After this Era came skunk from inside and it took over almost everything you could say. I loved those fresh strong inside Skunk weed also. Thanks for the Reply it brings back memories 😊

Latest posts

Latest posts