What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Dutch coffeeshops - post your latest reviews here!

Sativied

Veteran
I've been to most if not all the shops in Arnhem in the 90s. We used to go a lot to one I vaguely remember as labeling "behind the track", as it was on the other side of the railway track and not close to the center (could be Rasta?). My memory sucks lately, don't remember the name. Last time I went to Arnhem, 4-5 years ago, well I do remember it all just wasn't what it used to be. Nijmegen has a few nice shops too, good/fair prices.

And likewise, thanks for the reply and bringing back memories. Removing the seeds from thai (and others) was part of the ritual of rolling a joint. We had these small wood or bamboo saucers for customers, in which they'd prepare the weed. Quite different from putting some sinsemilla in a grinder.

Wasn't too long ago I could still get Ketama locally (I'm a little bit more up north). That was the cheaper stuff, aside from dark black soft afghaan. I smoke Beldia sometimes which always gives me flashbacks to smoking and smelling Ketama. The shop owner I worked for was a Moroccan guy, he worked during the day, and when I came in for the evening shift, he took the super polm out of his pocket, the most expensive hash we sold, which I then had to put in my pocket. Basically, the idea was to keep it warm so it remained easy to cut. 15 guilder per gram early 90s.

After this Era came skunk from inside and it took over almost everything you could say.
Factual history right there.

Stoneymelony

I've been to most if not all the shops in Arnhem in the 90s. We used to go a lot to one I vaguely remember as labeling "behind the track", as it was on the other side of the railway track and not close to the center (could be Rasta?). My memory sucks lately, don't remember the name. Last time I went to Arnhem, 4-5 years ago, well I do remember it all just wasn't what it used to be. Nijmegen has a few nice shops too, good/fair prices.

And likewise, thanks for the reply and bringing back memories. Removing the seeds from thai (and others) was part of the ritual of rolling a joint. We had these small wood or bamboo saucers for customers, in which they'd prepare the weed. Quite different from putting some sinsemilla in a grinder.

Wasn't too long ago I could still get Ketama locally (I'm a little bit more up north). That was the cheaper stuff, aside from dark black soft afghaan. I smoke Beldia sometimes which always gives me flashbacks to smoking and smelling Ketama. The shop owner I worked for was a Moroccan guy, he worked during the day, and when I came in for the evening shift, he took the super polm out of his pocket, the most expensive hash we sold, which I then had to put in my pocket. Basically, the idea was to keep it warm so it remained easy to cut. 15 guilder per gram early 90s.

Factual history right there.
I remember now, also I bought sputnik hash, forgot about that as well. Also sifting the seeds from local 'nederwiet' for hours, sometimes you could make a joint from only the seed covers haha, and if you forgot one seed, you're joint exploded hahaha. But there was some good outdoor as well with less seeds and sometimes smelling nice. I wish I got some of those seeds still today.

It was nice if you could find some pollem hash, after that came skunk, some friends of me had it in the addic and where selling this in Arnhem to some shops. One was in sonsbeekstreet, maybe shop where you went also possible. I forgot the name. It was upstairs and old looking place.
The Rasta shop was on klarendalseweg. Maybe we called it Rasta because of the Rasta people and music. If you bought something downstairs you had to have to go up the stairs with the guy to another room and he took out a big knife, cut and gave you the product.

In Nijmegen you had the Buggy coffeeshop and it is still there with the same owner from back in the 80's for 3 years back when I went there. The shop looks still the same as in the 80's. I can recomended the place for this ambiance but the product is medioker. You had also 'de kruidentuin' but it is not there anymore. These days Nijmegen is good and better place to get some product, Arnhem is not so good anymore I think, but zero zero you have some nice hasj still. And in coffeeshop THC I bought geniune Thai weed with the seeds in it a few years back. Thanks for sharing you're memories.

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
I've been to most if not all the shops in Arnhem in the 90s. We used to go a lot to one I vaguely remember as labeling "behind the track", as it was on the other side of the railway track and not close to the center (could be Rasta?).
Oh I think I know that one. There were 2 shops in that area behind the tracks. For one you turned left and it was right there on the ground level and the other one was a bit further up and on the first floor with some mad steep stairs to get in. God to think how many hours I’ve walked around Arnhem looking for secret coffee shops and avoiding the ones in the Center. Back in pre google days. 😅

Stoneymelony

Oh I think I know that one. There were 2 shops in that area behind the tracks. For one you turned left and it was right there on the ground level and the other one was a bit further up and on the first floor with some mad steep stairs to get in. God to think how many hours I’ve walked around Arnhem looking for secret coffee shops and avoiding the ones in the Center. Back in pre google days. 😅
The shop with the rediculous stairs was the one we went selling the skunk from my friend. At night we did visit Swingcafe on korenmarkt or Luxor for some life music. It was a good time.

Last edited:

Probiomer

It looked like the kind of mold that you find on for example swiss cheese, the one you eat. Like the blue cheeese that you can eat. It was great and the most expensive on the menue.
I would like to replicate that. My kefir/lab culture grows cheese mold on it when i leave it long enough. Its eatable but smoking is a different story. On the other hand you would only smoke the parts on the inside without the spores.
Maybe it turns out like cob and its even better when eaten.

Probiomer

It also reminds me of these koji fermented beets. That would maybe be a even better candidate if eating is the goal.

Attachments

• koji-alchemy-beets.png
    koji-alchemy-beets.png
    546 KB · Views: 28

PH donner

I remember now, also I bought sputnik hash, forgot about that as well. Also sifting the seeds from local 'nederwiet' for hours, sometimes you could make a joint from only the seed covers haha, and if you forgot one seed, you're joint exploded hahaha. But there was some good outdoor as well with less seeds and sometimes smelling nice. I wish I got some of those seeds still today.

It was nice if you could find some pollem hash, after that came skunk, some friends of me had it in the addic and where selling this in Arnhem to some shops. One was in sonsbeekstreet, maybe shop where you went also possible. I forgot the name. It was upstairs and old looking place.
The Rasta shop was on klarendalseweg. Maybe we called it Rasta because of the Rasta people and music. If you bought something downstairs you had to have to go up the stairs with the guy to another room and he took out a big knife, cut and gave you the product.

In Nijmegen you had the Buggy coffeeshop and it is still there with the same owner from back in the 80's for 3 years back when I went there. The shop looks still the same as in the 80's. I can recomended the place for this ambiance but the product is medioker. You had also 'de kruidentuin' but it is not there anymore. These days Nijmegen is good and better place to get some product, Arnhem is not so good anymore I think, but zero zero you have some nice hasj still. And in coffeeshop THC I bought geniune Thai weed with the seeds in it a few years back. Thanks for sharing you're memories.
remember that shop and its own his name was Ari in those days. I bought something there through the owner, which is great to stock my own shop.

Stoneymelony

remember that shop and its own his name was Ari in those days. I bought something there through the owner, which is great to stock my own shop.
Maybe it is Ari I maybe you're right, up the stairs on sonsbeekstreet long time ago. I could ask my friend also and i should have seen him the other day, but he got a heart attack and is still recovering. So that has have to wait. Makes me wondering where is your own shop and what is the name? Maybe I went there as well 😉 hahaha

PH donner

Maybe it is Ari I maybe you're right, up the stairs on sonsbeekstreet long time ago. I could ask my friend also and i should have seen him the other day, but he got a heart attack and is still recovering. So that has have to wait. Makes me wondering where is your own shop and what is the name? Maybe I went there as well 😉 hahaha
the shop no longer exists due to the extinction policy.
But it was in Haarlem, I can't say the name for my private sake, which I'm sure you will understand :)

Stoneymelony

the shop no longer exists due to the extinction policy.
But it was in Haarlem, I can't say the name for my private sake, which I'm sure you will understand :)
I do, it is no problem I was just curious. Haarlem was also not my area to go to the shop. In north Holland I only visited shops in Amsterdam. But who doesn't I should almost say haha.

bimblebrains_1

Once, only once there was a "Mold Manali" on the menue. 25 years ago maybe. It had a white surface with dark stripes in it and under the surface it was black/brown. Dont know if today the food monitoring would say "NO!" to this. But it was really really great.
Would buy it again in a minute, dont care about the price.
The mold comes from buring the tolla's or chapati's in the goat skins underground to cure, when you got half a box back in the day it was all clumped together 10ish gram stick and or discs shapes, depending on the rubber's technique I guess,many different bits from different plants and fields collected to make up the weights,and yes there was always a few with the odd bit of white mold running thru them...fine to smoke but not to make edibles with for that reason ,that and the possibility of TB due to the orgin.
The Manali was normally pretty bog standard Charas,the Parvati was usually better grade less fiberous but the best stuff was the malana,the cream ..did have some Manali and Parvati creams but the malana was another league,,much higher altitude I think.Alhough the best I've ever had was cream from Nepal.
Man haven't smoked any real deal Chara's since the mid 00's..used to get hard back books from India with the middle cut out with 500g in,shipped thru DHL,went on for years lol

kro-magnon

Veteran
The mold comes from buring the tolla's or chapati's in the goat skins underground to cure, when you got half a box back in the day it was all clumped together 10ish gram stick and or discs shapes, depending on the rubber's technique I guess,many different bits from different plants and fields collected to make up the weights,and yes there was always a few with the odd bit of white mold running thru them...fine to smoke but not to make edibles with for that reason ,that and the possibility of TB due to the orgin.
The Manali was normally pretty bog standard Charas,the Parvati was usually better grade less fiberous but the best stuff was the malana,the cream ..did have some Manali and Parvati creams but the malana was another league,,much higher altitude I think.Alhough the best I've ever had was cream from Nepal.
Man haven't smoked any real deal Chara's since the mid 00's..used to get hard back books from India with the middle cut out with 500g in,shipped thru DHL,went on for years lol
One of my uncle's friend lived half of the year in India in the Himachal Pradesh(not sure of the correct spelling) where he had a small field of ganja and a local was making Charas with his flowers, every year he would bring back with him in France his precious haschich, it was some of the best indian charas I've had the chance to smoke.
I'm curious about the manali with mold, I think I've never seen anything close to what you describe. Mold is not safe to smoke, no? At least I don't smoke the mold I have sometimes in my flowers and I think I would not smoke it neither if I found some on a piece of hachich. But what's under this mold must be something I'd try at least once in my life, not sur it will happen sadly.

Last edited:

bimblebrains_1

One of my uncle's friend lived half of the year in India in the Himachal Pradesh(not sure of the correct spelling) where he had a small field of ganja and a local was making Charas with his flowers, every year he would bring back with him in France his precious haschich, it was some of the best indian charas I've had the chance to smoke.
I'm curious about the manali with mold, I think I've never seen anything close to what you describe. Mold is not safe to smoke, no? At least I don't smoke the mold I have sometimes in my flowers and I think I would not smoke it neither if I found some on a piece of hachich. But what's under this mold must be something I'd try at least once in my life, not sur it will happen sadly.
Wow that's amazing he used to bring it back to France for you to try,so miss that old world effect,if you haven't had it you really don't know!.The people that used to ship what we received were Trustafarai that would spend the English winter in india,then spend the summer in the UK going around the festivals and squat parties selling the Charas and ethnic clothes from market stalls.
The mold wasn't brown like you get in flower it was very thin stranded white mold that usually went straight thru the centre of a tolla, resembled a mycelium webb,now I don't know if buring organic matter for long periods causes the surrounding mycelium to slightly conalise and that's where it comes from,but the reason they have to do it is because the Chara's is rubbed from live plants so retains a fair bit of moisture,hence the need to bury it to cure and dry out..but yes we used to smoke those tollas too,the burning of it killed the bacteria I suppose

kro-magnon

Veteran
My uncle's friend had a pizzeria in a touristic region of France so he was here for the touristic period and and in India as soon as he could. He was bringing the Charas mainly for his own use, it was very rare for him to give me a piece(I was young at this time as well) But I had the pleasure to smoke some and I'm glad to have been able to taste such quality. I had the occasion to smoke some very high end moroccan hash as well coming from a farm who was working for a famous french singer when I was working in his technical crew;Also went to a hash farm in Morocco near Chefchaouen, I bought their better quality to bring it back to my country in small olives;)

Last edited:

NotYourSaviour

@Koondense

Thanks for your report from grey Eindhoven, good to read you had a nice time:tiphat:! Interesting to read too that their Nepalese pissed on the one from Dampkring a week prior.

Personally The Pink is just a place for sitting down to me and probably the best in town I found their gear not that good in the last years but it is by far not crappy or such. I just pick up at The Wall, and this is also not what it used to be, and maybe come here for a short break while strolling through this industrial area uhm I mean town.

Amsterdam was visited again this holiday:

Family First:

Youngster on shift praised the static Apples And Bananas off the hashish menu which by the way too was from the section I mentioned my previous trip being all over the place[also in the provinces ; also Bibi's second best the other day was from them I was told ]which costed 22€ a gram. While the smell had a sour fruity note this wasn't too present in its taste while the high was strong enough. At home welcome but with a choice not that special in my humble opinion.

A mate also got Georgia Pie grass there which for 12 or 13€ was nice enough I reckon. Gassy smell and adequate kush taste.

Green Place:

Picked up some witty labelled 'SanFranHashCo' resin for 25€ per g from the Usa, supposedly[ put up a picture here, the first three pictures it is]. Guess which section produced it please:biglaugh:.

What ever, bright piece had a kush profile regarding taste and smell coming with an strong enough potency but overpriced compared to what is available for less from Morocco. Still always welcome at home of course.

137:

Young guy behind the counter raved about Amarena x Barbara Bud for 24€/g. Easily best hashish this visit to Amsterdam due to having a special smell and equally taste. Mixture of sweet and spicy along with a strong effect, supposedly static sifted by the way. Released by a section I didn't try yet but will keep an eye out for from now[Colossus, anyone?].

Terpz Army:

Here it was Straciatella for overpriced 25€ a gram. Again, nothing really to moan about since this static was good but it was for what ever reason not special so again category 'At home welcome but not with a choice' to me. By the way too from this new section all over the place at the minute, see Family First.

Dampkring[ where they now – big news in this case as mentioned before – also sell some static sift for 24€. Guess from which section? Indeed! See Family First/ Terpz Army. Go figure! NEXT! ] ,Barney's, Bluebird, Old Church 2[ where Frozen Yuzu for 20€ should have been bought but didn't make it back which I still kick myelf for, Strawberry something looked great, too:wallbash:. ], Tweede Kamer, Balou, Reefer, Greenhouse, Kadinsky, Catch 33 and The Plug were not worth our business.

All in all another fine visit but the better gear we found this trip in the provinces but there will surely be next time, innit?!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts