What's new

crawdad's

crawdad

boz-yeah thanks for pointing that out...i never drilled down to see the price there...i saw the same light when i was on ebay....

$25 is a good deal...

i will take a look at the remote ballast link...i bet that cant be over 15 feet though...or else you will have some issues...

crawdad

crawdad

boz-i just looked it up and the MAXIMUM distance between the ballast and the lamp is 2 feet! i would watch that shit...

http://www.advancetransformer.com/eCatalog/out/5272110631.pdf

i would be very careful there....

dont forget....wire is rated in amps....BUT it is also rated for VOLTAGE....you would not want to use a 300 volt rated conductor on a 5kV rated medium mogul base socket!..

the pulse from the ballast and cap/ignitor can be pretty high and sustained...the open voltage is over 600VAC....

mix a little water, some good bud and a do-it-yerself wiring and you could become a human fuse...not to mention having the fire department break in to put out the fire the neigbors called about...

use the heavyest wire you can within reason and be sure it has at least 600 VAC insulation...it is not easy keeping all that smoke and flame inside there...

be careful

crawdad

Last edited:

crawdad

hi,
yeah i dont doubt there are a lot of well built rigs out there...just passin on some knowledge for those who are interested to know that there is a limit on the distance and why....

i have remote ballasted up to 15 feet with no problem...

if you look at my 1000w hillbilly rig it has a 300V 15 foot extension cord for the lamp...works great....but it is a cord and and not a single conductor...runs cool at 2 amps...

thanks for your feedback bozo (no pun intended)

crawdad

below is my hillbilly 1000 watt MH @120 VAC runs about 8-9 amps

Last edited:

crawdad

hps/cfl combo lighting schedule

hps/cfl combo lighting schedule

hi-
well i figured up that I can run a 1000w light for 12 hrs a day for $40 a month..

i have an extra room where i can draw in and pull out air...

if i were to setup my timer to run the light every 3 hours and then off for 3 hours i can set the cfls to come on when hid is off...then when i am ready to flower i can cut it back to 12 light and 12 dark....

is it always 12/12? even with jock horror and nl x BB, ww?

what would i get if it were a 10/14 schedule? i can already hear the keyboards clicking!!! LESS BUD...thats what i figured..

i dont pay my electrricity here so i have to watch it or i will get the skunk eye..from the boss..he pays the bill...

i already set the light up in the other room and have it running now but I only have a BiG Bud, WW, and 1 jock horror under it...

i may be changing up the grow a bit..as far as lighting...

i am sure cfls will work...how good? not sure...

once i get some feedback on this i may just combine the cfls with the 1000w just because it will make things happen faster..better, etc..

crawdad

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Cfls work, but more light = more weed. HIDs give far more light for the amount of electricity used compared to any other technology of light. It's that simple. If you need 2 oz a month I don't think cfls will cut it for you. That's a little more than what I smoke and my 600 hps is just enough to run either large plants (best option) or many plants to take care of my needs.

You may be just starting and experimenting but quickly you will master that and need more capacity, just trying to give you future options, but by all means do a run under cfls to start, then you will see for yourself the difference with a large HID light.

As for heat, if you think about where the weed originated from, that will guide you with heat.

Sativa - grows in tropical climes (Thailand) = more heat tolerant
Indica - grows in temperate climes (Afghanistan) = less heat tolerant.

Hybrids = depends on ratio of Sat/Ind.

My batch now of Dr Atomic Northern Lights had some heat issues and only the indica leaning phenos got nanners from the stress....no nanners on my sativa leaning phenos

crawdad

update

update

hp-you are exacty right ...hid is the way to go for sure...at first i was worried about elect. usage raising some concern....so i figured if i could run my 1000w mh for 12 hours..and run the cfls the other 12...to use as supplemental ltng..

i agree wholeheartedly that genetics pretty much rule but has anyone ever grown a ruderalis at the equator or in a lab at 12/12 etc etc? i would say that all weed has some flexibility...but there are those who try for perfection or ultimate results...

i think it is well know that growin indoors is superior to outdoors for several obvious reasons...except for the sunlight....cant ever match that....or can we?

the key word in HID is INTENISTY....i also heard that the nanners are a good thing...they hold pollen that apparently will only yield seeds that will become female plants....so i would catch them suckers...and put them in a pill bottle in the fridge to experiment with some seed making...

anyway, i moved everything...i also got real lucky...i got some killer blueberry from WASILLA, AK turned out there was a seed in one of the buds...it did not look viable at all...i decided to take a chance and see what would happen if i put it in some dirt...so i did and i marked it "blue berry"...well i moved everything except that one empty container and left it in another room in the dark...when i went back today i was going to dump that soil out...i looked and low and behold there was a tiny plant next to my marker!...i took it and potted it right away...hopefully it will turn out to be female and blueberry....that would be great..

so here is a shot of my new setup and a few shots of the revived seedlings i almost killed with miracle grow soil...DO NOT TRY THAT...

crawdad

crawdad

supplemental cfl lighting

supplemental cfl lighting

here is what i am using when my hid goes off...

cfl's

i am not sure what will happen..

crawdad

:bashhead:

crawdad

update

update

well got everything moved and figured out where to make my hole for the exhaust...

there is a smoke detector on the ceiling so i decided to make my hole there and that way i can conceal the hole when i leave..just put the smoke detector back and nobody's the wiser...

the room has been running around 85 deg so hopefully i can knock it down ten degrees at max temp..

i set it up on a thermostat that will kick on and off at 85 and 75..picked up a 50 cfm ex fan for $16...pvc plumbing pipe was about $4..used little duct tape..

aslo got some 6500K cfls...23/100W

here are some shots....

crawdad

Last edited:

crawdad

1-6-9 update

1-6-9 update

well here are some new shots and the salvaged plants are definitely coming on back...plus the big bud is looking real nice...its amazing how these were planted at the same time and to be so much larger...like i said some good seeds over at sensi seeds for sure...

the blueberry seed i planted is looking good..

got my temps under control and soil is gonna be ok...

running 1000w @ 12hr and 12 cfls @12 hrs

i also germed some haze x afghani x skunk X moroccan along with some ww x moroccan, and some moroccan x haze x afghani x skunk seeds i made last year. Could not wait to see what theese do..

crawdad

BIG BUD

the whole plot

big bud is looking good

crawdad

Grow room update

Grow room update

is my thread in the wrong place?

well i got my exhaust fan connected up and finally got my plants turned around...

here are a few shots..

crawdad

flex connected

1-1/2 x 1-1/4 reducer with a worm clamp seals it up right..

smoke test-

today

Last edited:

crawdad

male or female?

male or female?

male or female? i know its hard to tell right now during veg..just hoping for a fem since this was my last big bud seed from sensi..

it is short and squat with pretty close internodes..

my guess is female...from my experience males tend to be tall and lanky..

crawdad

Last edited:

crawdad

More?

More?

right now i am just using straight h20 and promix bx..(all i could get)...i think the pro mix has enough nutes for 3 mos..

is there anything beyond adding an eye of newt, buzzard eggs or gopher gravy
to my regime that would boost some more growth?

i am trying to MAXIMIZE my results..

thanks for any suggestions...

crawdad

M

moses224

Crawdad you seem very dedicated, Keep up the work the plants are looking better each update

Remember where your last thread started. You got mad props for where your gonna take it from there.

Good Luck man

crawdad

moses-your right, I am glad I decided to keep it going...i think its going to be alright..

i cant afford c02 and too much high tech..but i have been growing since I was about 12 or 13..i am addicted..to growing that is..

thats the good thing about the folks who hang out on icmag...anytime you run up against a little problem it doesnt take long for someone to try and steer ya right..

i think this is going to be a pretty decent grow..

thanks for stopping by again..

crawdad

Che

Veteran
Hey Crawdad, I am using Pro Mix as well, I mixed mine with Worm Castings and the plants just took off. I can't say if you can improve on it much more than you have, what do you have in mind for a feeding schedule?

I was thinking I would just go with tapwater and the worm castings, and later put them on GH nutrients, delivered in a 1/3 strength Lucas formula. Lots of flushing in the end, and I'll check the EC of runoff occasionally to keep it in check.
I think you could achieve as good a results as any with that method.. I'll eventually start a log to show my progress. My project is just over 1KW and just about as low tech as they come.

I don't think CO2 or too much other hi-tech crap is needed for a ~1K grow!

crawdad

nuther update

nuther update

latest shots

che-yeah man-pro mix is a guarantee of success if you ask me..

i may try some nutes but for now im just letting them do their thing..

crawdad

jock horrors - ready to go !

Last edited:

crawdad

Update

Update

hi,
well i split my room into a flowering and vegetating room...so now i have a clone/veg room and a separate are for flowering...hope to get a nice cycle going here..

put some jock horror, big bud, white widow, nl x bb on flowering today..

so start counting...1-10-9

flowering started 1-10-9

veg area

:bashhead: :nono: :laughing: :wave: :jump:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hey crawdad, I am so happy that things are going well!

Not sure why you are switching from the HID to the cfls but that will mess up the plants with differing light intensities....keep them on the same consist light strength and pattern. Don't stress about electricity....just pay your bills on time. The 600 uses the same power as my computer here, and half as much power as a small electric portable heater.

Nice score on the BB! I thought they only smoked meth in Wasilla? :wink: If that is the large plant in your pix, watch for nitrogen deficiency. It appears that the bottom leaves may be yellowing (if not a trick of the camera/lights). If so, increase your N some.

I would also suggest adding more perlite to your mix. I would add at least 30% extra to the promix. This will help drainage and aeration. It is possible that the N def is a result of waterlogged roots/poor drainage, but I don't think that is the case here, they don't look waterlogged. Still add the extra perlite next transplant. Make sure those pots are almost dry (just at the point of slight wilt) and that they are very light in weight when you lift them, before watering again.

BTW, you are in the right forum. Seems this place is a little slow these days, or maybe everyone is all freaked out by the new look!

Good luck with your girls!