What's new

construction stories. the good and the bad

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
it upsets me to much when I add up the time lol...ignorance is bliss I suppose..

yep, sparky = electrician

CoCoSativas

Installing fences is tough work.especially with a post digger.still never got paid on my last fence job.fucking uncle took the money and run.that's the last time I bust my ass for nothing.I'm sick of this shit

No pays... I lost it back in the day when i was a employee. Some piece of shit didnt pay me for a week of commercial flooring. I wont really go into detail, but i did end up costing the guy some serious money in dental bills when i caught up to him at a mall a few weeks later.

Ive grown up alot since then. Id probably take him to court now rather than put myself at risk gettimg caught pulling some shit like that. Or just let it pass, a couple grand isnt worth going to the can.

CoCoSativas

the biggest thing about working on live electrical is doing so one handed(you never want the circuit to ground across your chest...that's how people die working on 120v) , with good insulated boots, no metal buttons, belt buckles etc.....and I personally won't work on a hot 240v circuit.

some times you literally have no choice...a company I was working for was doing a major auto parts chain conversion in the SW a few years ago...the stores stayed open while we had to land new cash register circuits/battery charging stations/ replacing ballasts in 50%+ of florescent light fixtures above the showroom etc...having their stocking crews changing all of the store fixtures and having customers in the store at the time...no fun, but like I said some times the sparky has no choice...now if you're working on live stuff just because you either A) don't have the correct tools and or knowledge or B)are too lazy and careless to be working on electrical to begin with...either way a or b, you should probably look into a different trade before you die.

I know there are many times you have to work o live shit, but man so mny times i see guys working on live gear when they could turn it off... My deaf employee... Fuckhead.

Solid advice tho about the one hander... Its no joke people. Thank you for pointing out 240v live is never safe. Thats right people dont fuck with live 240.

I can do all sorts of electrical, i just try not too. Its not my favorite thing and i pay my guys to do most of it. I stick to doing the fun stuff, like today we loaded fence posts into the back of my truck, and one of my guys drove while i threw them out to the holes. Then after we loaded concrete bags onto the truck he drove again and i passed bags to the guys.

We got 75 posts up today, done by 2 pm. Now im chilling out, enjoying a early start to my weekend. Got a new 2x2 tent for vegging yesterday and to hide my vegging plants, i had some drain guys come into the place because i hate plumbing, so i couldnt have that shit out, my veg box was a uhaul lined with white poly. Just had the shit kicking around and decided to use it. It worked but now i have another light proof tent, much better

CoCoSativas

Forgive my ignorance but sparky means electrician right?and yeah,electricity is not something to fuck around with

Its not ignorance dude. I work with every trade so we have pet names for most of them. I dont call plumbers sewer rats but have heard them called that and worse... I laughed the first but thought it was pretty sad someone would call them that.

Whatever man, floor guys get it all. We get it for being on our knees, motherfuckers say some ragged shit. No one says fuckall to me anymore because my sig is on their cheques.

Some trades have nice pet names. Some not so much...

shithawk420

Veteran
I'd rather do floors than roofing any day.I don't even wanna know what they call us.got a 100 year old wood shake roof coming up soon.gotta wear a mask for that dusty old crap.AND its in Chicago!!! You gotta be extra careful cause the houses are so close together. if something happens to the houses next door were fucked!!

CoCoSativas

I'd rather do floors than roofing any day.I don't even wanna know what they call us.got a 100 year old wood shake roof coming up soon.gotta wear a mask for that dusty old crap.AND its in Chicago!!! You gotta be extra careful cause the houses are so close together. if something happens to the houses next door were fucked!!

Monkeys, skydivers, theres a couple ones for you guys i cant remember. I usually call the roofers the skydive team, after seeing so many falling off the roofs. I saw one guy fall and a piece of rebar went through his cheak. He was lucky not strait up through his skull...

I fucking hate roofing.

Sounds like you have a cool job coming in a neat city. Ive never been to the states but your cities look cool.

shithawk420

Veteran
Chi town is great.but expensive.I'd love to come to Canada but its cold enough already here.my god roofing sucks in the winter.hell it sucks in the summer too!!lol I've been roofing over 15 years and never fallen off a roof.knock on wood.skydivers!!lol I'll have to tell my dad that.a buddy of mine calls us gargoyles.

CoCoSativas

Chi town is great.but expensive.I'd love to come to Canada but its cold enough already here.my god roofing sucks in the winter.hell it sucks in the summer too!!lol I've been roofing over 15 years and never fallen off a roof.knock on wood.skydivers!!lol I'll have to tell my dad that.a buddy of mine calls us gargoyles.

You should travel here in the summer, or go to the coasts in the winter. East is snowy, west is still pretty nice, some bad weather but not much.

Gargoyles... That is a good one... Ill remember that its fitting...

Im glad you never fell man. Ive fallen on my ass and slid a bit once. I was pissed, but ok. I really only go on flat roofs and really shallow slopes because i hate heights.

I take floors before heights anyday. I hate heights ive always had a fear of heights

Dready_jake

Haha I've done a tiny bit of roofing, concrete and framing. The framing included building the roof sometimes lol but at that point I didn't shingle it anymore lol. I hate edges, I didn't fall because I didn't do that shit long.

I did have a gable board split while nailing it and it shot the nail straight along the board into my finger like 10-12 inches away. I pull my hand up and flicked it like it would come out lol and looked at my finger. nail didn't even move it was just chilling. It stoped at the bone and im pretty sure mighta dented it or something. My reflex was pull it out and for some i reason threw it like it would hurt me again lol. Bad idea it started bleeding like a motherfucker.

shithawk420

Veteran
Holy fuck boys!I just got done doing a tear off on 100 year old wood shake roof.this is a very nice neighborhood. but its secluded in woods and shit.so I'm tearing it off and what do I see?MILLIONS of fire ants!!I've been around.done lots of roofs.but never did I suspect ants live under shingles like this.needless to say me and my buddy are fucked up from all the bites.holy fuck I'm in the wrong business

shithawk420

Veteran
Haha!! Shit leopards can't change their shit spots.no.but I didn't really have a choice!this is the first job I've had all year!! And now I've got tornadoes and micro burst every where.gotta help my friends and families. even if I don't get fuckin paid.sigh

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks bro!I'm gonna need it!we got crazy weather in the Midwest.but my house has been real lucky!oh sorry.a micro burst is like an atmospheric pressure bomb that bursts like a bomb.rare but it happens.it takes out houses and trees like nothing.at least that's my understanding of it.sorry.lol

floralheart

Veteran
Everything I do that isn't framing or carpentry looks fucked up lately.

I'm getting old and tired, I guess. Just bought a door that needs to be hand chiseled. Never done that before, we'll see how it goes one of these days.

floralheart

Veteran
Holy fuck boys!I just got done doing a tear off on 100 year old wood shake roof.this is a very nice neighborhood. but its secluded in woods and shit.so I'm tearing it off and what do I see?MILLIONS of fire ants!!I've been around.done lots of roofs.but never did I suspect ants live under shingles like this.needless to say me and my buddy are fucked up from all the bites.holy fuck I'm in the wrong business

Just have a cocktail, Jim. Everything will be alright.

CoCoSativas

Thats fucked.

I would go down, suit up and get rid of the ants, come back the next day after they ate the poison.

Im ruthless though, i will get rid of any pest in my way. I have too many jobs going so i just go do something else.

Really bad shit i call pest control.