What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Cinderella 99 The Come Back

LostTribe

Premium user
I have some of my C99 Punch line f2 soaking to work on a bx, but I am probably going to use frozen male pollen as the P1 donor rather than go back to the Punch cut. The f2 generation are looking like a nice combination of cinderella genes so I don't see a problem going back toward the male side of the line. I see a great deal of the punch looking plants coming out even in the Metal side of the line.

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
I tried to zoom in on this Punch tester so we can see the resin developing. Not my grow but fairly healthy looking plants all around.
c99a.jpeg

:ying:
LT

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have some of my C99 Punch line f2 soaking to work on a bx, but I am probably going to use frozen male pollen as the P1 donor rather than go back to the Punch cut. The f2 generation are looking like a nice combination of cinderella genes so I don't see a problem going back toward the male side of the line. I see a great deal of the punch looking plants coming out even in the Metal side of the line.
I can send up some metal and punch pollen if you want.

StickyBandit

I was after the pure really, partially for preservation. Your cross would be very nice. Very nice indeed I would guess but it would take some effort on your part :)
Thought I could start the New Zealand distro to keep the strain from becoming extinct in these parts
Not overly impressed with the RSC version. Very fat leaf and tiring. Not really our thing.
If they come up on seedbay I can get from there, but it's been a while and nothing yet. Could just be the time of year.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I won’t have any pure Cindy, but I hope to have some OHz and Cindy Haze available to keep the love growing around here. I told LT that I wouldn’t let the Cindy loose, cause he asked me not to.

They are little plants anyways that finish too soon. Some haze ought to fix the girl right up.

LostTribe

Premium user
I was after the pure really, partially for preservation. Your cross would be very nice. Very nice indeed I would guess but it would take some effort on your part :)
Thought I could start the New Zealand distro to keep the strain from becoming extinct in these parts
Not overly impressed with the RSC version. Very fat leaf and tiring. Not really our thing.
If they come up on seedbay I can get from there, but it's been a while and nothing yet. Could just be the time of year.
I never heard back so not sure there was interest.

We'll try to put something together for our mates down unda. No worries!
A little THH on her flower sounds appealing also
Thats my current project. Punch C99 x Thh P1. But lets hope Tom doesnt see this or he will surely give me an earful about how THH simply must be kept pure and always open pollenated of course. I too am a purist. Just for me Tom, Just for me.

Mimpi Manis

UPDATED June 2022

Summary: Before you throw away $150 on Mr Soul's "recreation of cinderella" I recommend looking elsewhere as real Cinderella is still available and at a fraction of that price.

No. I do NOT believe his release to be real and likely 50% Cinderella at best and have chosen to exclude it from the list below due to many discrepancies with the offering and I cannot with a good conscience be a part of promoting something I do not find to be genuine.

Now lets check out some REAL Cinderella 99!!! I have 2 decades experience with this varietal. Further info about many many different offerings of cinderella are found within these pages.

PEAK SEEDS BC BEST CINDY
Credit where credit is due.

These recent pics/plants were from MJ over at Peak Seeds BC. I expect that he's keep the same parents going. He had some people try out different combinations of moms and males, which is the way to do it. Not quick and somewhat time consuming. I ran one of these a couple years ago, but only one seed. It was better than the Joey I had in with it. Recently I was searching through another one of the forums at another site and found some truly amazing pics that instantly re ignited my interest in looking through more of these. I ran one. Just one and found that "Metal" pheno. The "Punch" was found in the same pack and another 2 were grapefruit but fat and potent none the less. All very encrusted and very potent sativa smoke on plants that finish mid 50's. MJ seems to have improved stem strength a bit too. Hats off to them for this.

History on this like is that it started out with the original release from Brothers Grimm>Joey Weed 1st release> 1 pack from I believe Frost Bros> Given to MJ at Peak to preserve.

Hands down the BOTB, Best of the Best, Cindy I've ran out of most of the remakes and this one is definately a cut above the other offerings. They are different from Joey Weed's current release but I feel fairly strongly that may be due to selection. I ran out one pack from Peak and have a couple extra to hang onto.

Truth be told this stuff is so fire it makes me so jittery I keep saying I need to stop smokin it.

Its the real deal thats for certain. Any of the buds want to check some of mine its cool but otherwise give Peak a try and I bet we may find some ever more killer Cinderella in those beans. I think this about brings our project to somewhat of a close or maybe a transition into what everyone else might find in this offering. Hopefully this info will help others with anything from preservation to what things happen when lines go from P1>F2>F3 and onwards.

Peak Seeds BC Cinderella 99 mom - Metal
View media item 18117820
View media item 18090806
View media item 18090014

The Legend of Cinderella is that of a 50 day heavy leaning sativa plant. These plants grew decent buds but lacked strength in the stem structure. The smoke itself was revered by many as a hypnotic and some plants may have the potency to cause some smokers to freak out and have extreme paranoia and anxiety. Smells and tastes were something very rare, fruit as well as baby poo and spice. The fruity characteristics were lost in the majority of lines I have tried over the past decade, longer actually.

This thread started as a search for my long Lost Holy Grail known as Cinderella 99. Over the past decade I have continued to keep searching. With most results leaving me with a great deal to be desired. Lots of times I wanted to just give up and look to new strains that it seems everyone is interested in and give up on what once was. Recent findings have given rise to a new feeling of hope. There is still a great deal to be done. The road we travel is long and rough but its not about the final destination its about what we experience and learn along the way that makes us who we are.

It feels surreal to finally have run into species with such similarities to the original lines. The euphoric smoke is most pleasant and should be held among the best varieties of time. The #1 is a very Euphoric experience, long lasting, floating, flying, mind numbing ride lacking the paranoia and raciness of my other keeper. #4 is a completely different creature, the fear comes out quite often, speedy, racy and definitely paranoia inducing floral mango esque sweet yet deadly experience not created for the novice smoker. I prefer the #1 as it is a multi dimensional experience without the hellish extremes of the other line. These take a few more days than the originals but not more than a week IMHO, in a dialed environment they could finish very close to 50 days. I normally take them to 58.

Important Notes:

I have run:
Original C99 2002
F2's
Gno3
Gno3 f2's
f3's
Dutchgrown f2
FMS C99
Mosca F1
Mosca Bx1
Joey Weed C99
Nuggetshiners Foundry C99
FDM C99 F3
The Real Seed Co C99
PEAK SEEDS BC CINDY 99 (BEST AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR COLLECTORS AND PRESERVATIONISTS)

An important note for those that are new to C99 and what this thread is really all about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefingchong View Post
Joey Weed description states - "You will get 99.9% of what you get from the original."

is this tested to be untrue?

ANSWER:
I believe Mr. Soul used to make that comment that she was true breeding and that JW probably included that in his own description as well.

BUT, if that were true we would all have plenty of super DANK c99 everywhere we looked would we not?

It comes down to the dominant and recessive alleles within each singular female and male plant which are bred to one another in 1:1 matings.

Conclusion:(just with regard to your question)
With regard to the most sought after characteristics of the Original Cinderella P.97 C99 plants, Grapefruit appears to be much more dominant within the line, than the more sweet and Tropical expressions. It may have been a case of too small a population left behind to breed with or it may be a case of seed makers chucking without testing. Facts are that most HS seed stock was depleted within months of the disappearance of Brothers Grimm Seeds. Additionally, most growers choose to cull all male plants, even then I find C99 to produce a higher ratio of females. Odds are that not enough males were kept to find a proper mating. Then comes standard breeding principles regarding dominant and recessive combinations.

I believe all 3 of these issues have played a role in the current state which we find the line in today.

Nevil believed strongly in 1:1 matings which takes ample time and loads of testing of progeny, while maintaining all males and females in clone form. BG originally took another route with the use of cubing the line. It took them 2.5 years to complete. Some things I have read from Gregor Mendel since that time lead me to believe that this cubing process may have been the cause of a degradation within the line to where we are now. This time BG tried to one off a line with 1 male and no testing and was destined for failure, either due to loss of Princess or due to no testing of the 1:1 mating. Most "breeders" of today are not breeding. But that's dependent on the individual and I am not calling anyone out its just my opinion. I have been guilty of that too in fact.

Good Vibrations
LT
Very erudite and informative post. These forums seem blessed with some folks of particular talents indeed. This post took a little effort. Nice work. Salute'.

LostTribe

Premium user
Very erudite and informative post. These forums seem blessed with some folks of particular talents indeed. This post took a little effort. Nice work. Salute'.
Much appreciated. To that I must say I think we all walk on the shoulders of giants. So much great information is available out there.

I would like to add that the part of that about P1>F1>F2>F3 and so on, that the story of Cinderella is a fine example of why it is so important for a varieties survival to be open pollenated. While 1:1 matings can provide outliers and be worked into frankenplants they are completely incapable of maintaining the species of cannabis as it was in its most primal stage.

Segregated open pollination is key to maintaining the varietals of the old world.

LT

Last edited:

johnnylawrence

I guess I'm wondering if the pictures I posted...

1) Look like C99

2) Look like C99 from a certain breeder (Mosca, Female Seeds, Joey Weed, etc.)

Thanks, if anyone has any ideas.

LostTribe

Premium user
I guess I'm wondering if the pictures I posted...

1) Look like C99

2) Look like C99 from a certain breeder (Mosca, Female Seeds, Joey Weed, etc.)

Thanks, if anyone has any ideas.
Impossible to say as its a male and its all over the place structurally. If it had been a female we might be able to get a bit of an idea but as it is a male we know that it was pollenated by a male plant and is not a herm bag seed. It could be only half c99 since the pollen came from another male plant. Have a good one! LT

Crazy Chester

A Real Cinder-feller Story.... A few years ago, a friend of mine was getting ready to leave town after the summer, and he was offering several different kinds of weed at bargain prices. I picked up some Alien OG, C99, and Blue Dream. I only found one seed in all three half-ounces that I ended up with, and that was from the C99. I didn't actually find it until about a year or so later. The dark brown seed was deep in the middle of the very last bud in the C99 bag. I considered myself lucky to have found a female seed (likely female), and I planted it. Well, it had trouble cracking out of the shell completely, which I helped with. Then it looked to be sort of a mutant... see the pic.
View attachment 18796156
Since I am no longer young and impatient, I took my time and let it grow. After what seemed like a really long time (probably a month or six weeks), it corrected itself and started growing like a normal seedling. It was vigorous - super-vigorous. I had to chop off all the tops at least once to keep it from growing too tall. I started flowering it when it looked mature, and my female.... was a male!
View attachment 18796158 View attachment 18796159
I crossed it to my sativa-leaning Mango Haze female and made some excellent seeds. Many of the offspring are super-resinous and all are fairly dense. There are some one-hit wonders (or very close to that). They range from Indica-looking to more Sativa-looking than the Mango Haze mother. Most are sort of in the middle. I trust the person I got the C99 from to correctly label his strains, and it smelled like pineapple. The buds were sort of a brown color due to a large amount of brown/red hairs. Most notably, the C99 buds the seed came from were dense. You could drop a nug on the table and hear a -thud-. I think it is probably C99 (correctly labeled), but I'm not sure what 'type' it is, if anyone thinks it looks like what they have, from a certain breeder or whatever. I actually had a couple of original C99 females back around 2000 or 2001, I and thought they were decent but hardly 'the holy grail.' Smallish plants with paranoia-inducing brownish buds that made colors look brighter than normal... that's what I recall. The C99 buds I got from my friend, the source of the male seed, also had the color-brightening effect. Sorry about the 'blurple' light, but I think you can still see. Notice the jagged leaves with aberrant serrations.

As far as the rebirth of Brothers Grimm, Mr. Soul always sounded like an older, slightly-snooty, middle-aged European man when he posted online 20+ years ago and wrote strain descriptions. That was a long time ago. I am inclined to wonder if the current, not-old-looking Mr. Soul could be the son of the original Mr. Soul or something like that. Maybe the 'new' C99 is not the only thing that is not genuine.

Did you get a clone off that one when he was in veg? It would be great if you can keep him as a daddy until his offspring (if any) can be evaluated. If this is an rare case of a seed made from a C99 mom putting out a male flower or two during flowering, it is also an ultra-rare male selfed-seed, which often produce sterile pollen.

Other than that - you inquired about whether the plant looks like it came from a particular breeder/batch. That's tough to tell, given the myriad of genes in each. But, I definitely see similarities in your male to my male C99 #8, who produced some pineapple scented trichomes when I did a little reversal experiment. It is from an original 20+ year old Brothers Grimm seed pack:

C998.jpg

Crazy Chester

...as it is a male we know that it was pollenated by a male plant and is not a herm bag seed. It could be only half c99 since the pollen came from another male plant.
You are probably right and I know people are sharply divided on whether hermie pollen can produce a male plant, but I'm thinking it's possible and base that on a grow I did a long time ago. It was Trainwreck S1 seeds by jojorizo. All became uniform beautiful pure females, as expected - but, one became the most vigorous pollen spewing male I've ever seen! I guess there's no way of telling what pollen produced that male. If anyone reading this grew out those seeds, did you get a male(s)?

johnnylawrence

Did you get a clone off that one when he was in veg? It would be great if you can keep him as a daddy until his offspring (if any) can be evaluated. If this is an rare case of a seed made from a C99 mom putting out a male flower or two during flowering, it is also an ultra-rare male selfed-seed, which often produce sterile pollen.

Other than that - you inquired about whether the plant looks like it came from a particular breeder/batch. That's tough to tell, given the myriad of genes in each. But, I definitely see similarities in your male to my male C99 #8, who produced some pineapple scented trichomes when I did a little reversal experiment. It is from an original 20+ year old Brothers Grimm seed pack:

View attachment 18796460
I didn't take a cutting from it, but I did make a lot of seeds using a Mango Haze mother. I froze a large amount of pollen but it was not viable when I tried to use it about two years later. Here are two examples of the offspring (Mango Haze x C99)....
View attachment 099.JPG

View attachment 089.JPG
Because the seed was found deep within a larger bud and there was only one seed, I suspect the plants were seed-grown and one male plant (or hermie) was not removed until after a bit of pollen had been released. I have selected a Mango Haze x C99 male to do some test breeding with, including a backcross to the Mango Haze line. Although I've only grown out about 7 females, I have found the Sativa-leaning specimens to be generally superior. The C99 seems to add resin, and the crosses finish faster than the pure Mango Haze. I think the C99 male started releasing pollen like 14 days after I switched to 12/12, which seemed very fast. C99 and Mango Haze all share the Skunk, NL, and Haze lines, at least according to C99 legend/lore.

Dubi in the Ace forum has stated that the odds of getting a male plant from a "female" seed are something between 1:1,000 and 1:5,000. It is rare, but it does happen very occasionally. I had a few (5 or 6 pack?) original C99 seeds myself from HS, and I do not recall the plants being all that vigorous and fast-growing like this male was.

Crazy Chester

I didn't take a cutting from it, but I did make a lot of seeds using a Mango Haze mother.
Me neither - the Trainwreck S1 male flowered out before I could get a cut rooted. Those Mango Haze crosses look good!

Dubi in the Ace forum has stated that the odds of getting a male plant from a "female" seed are something between 1:1,000 and 1:5,000. It is rare, but it does happen very occasionally.

Thanks for the info on Dubi's experience concerning selfed males - he's probably grown out thousands of S1s. Except for the Trainwreck S1s, I've grown out hardly any. Dubi's experience makes me think perhaps I really did have a male S1 - it's like getting struck by lightening though!

Last edited: