What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Open fixtures certainly have their benefits, they just won't work for me in my application.

D

Drek

Yeah, for me it's not really about gaining or losing anything, it's just easy and cheap, and the bulbs are already protected.

R

rüdiger

2x 100w 930 elite

picture.php

they work so far:biggrin:

R

rüdiger

jup straight 11/13 from rooted clone,
sativa dominant multi strain perpetual chaos:biggrin:

pots 0,7liter

picture.php
picture.php

2x 100w for flower , 1x 100w veg/mom/clone

Last edited:

wumbatti

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey mr. rüdiger!
Want to give any info about those lights, where did u find them ? Dem look nice with that price :tiphat:
[/FONT]

Ttystikk

I just tested 'em- ran 'em for 30 minutes each. They require standard 1000w magnetic metal halide ballasts. I have one that's switchable between MH & HPS.

Like this-

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93...BaseShopping&gclid=COyf0MS4674CFQJqMgod5XcAsw

They're open fixture rated, but they're also only for vertical operation- awkward for me. I may just go for it with my scheduled rework in a coupla months.

I'm just getting into the CMH/CDM thing, and my setup is absolutely ideal for the 860 bulbs you mention above. If you can't use them, I'd be happy to pay you what you think they're worth to give them a try in my Super Silo system. I need big watts and vertical orientation, and I have convertible thousand watt magnetic ballasts. I'm up in Ft Collins, I make it down that way pretty regularly.

I'm currently running Plantmax HPS thouies, just replaced the old ones- two and a half years?- for this current run. Pic below is what those tired old lamps produced, along with three more like it:

Attachments

• 20140522_012421.jpg
    20140522_012421.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 20
My question is about the spectrum graph on the 375; is it to good to be true?
Is not the 315W way better?
Oh, I see. the 375W Web page has a spectral graph. But it does not match the Spectrial Graph on the 375W spec PDF.

The one on the 315 page seems to match the 930, not the better 942.

I have no idea what bulb has that spectrum on the 375W page. I might suggest it is fake. But everything on the internet is true, so....

Ttystikk

Oh, I see. the 375W Web page has a spectral graph. But it does not match the Spectrial Graph on the 375W spec PDF.

I have no idea what bulb has that spectrum on the 375W page. I might suggest it is fake. But everything on the internet is true, so....

I was smelling a rat, myself- which is why I post these things :)

I need to replace two thousand watt HPS lamps in my Super Silo. Will four of the t12 315W protected vertical placement bulbs really be sufficient? The 375W was attractive as much for the total output of four bulbs as the spectrum graph.

I was smelling a rat, myself- which is why I post these things :)

I need to replace two thousand watt HPS lamps in my Super Silo. Will four of the t12 315W protected vertical placement bulbs really be sufficient? The 375W was attractive as much for the total output of four bulbs as the spectrum graph.
that is tough to say.
I can find exactaly no real info about the Senlite bulbs except they claim 130,000 lm

I was just discussing with Rives in PM's about 315W vs 1K HPS or whatever. We both much prefer the 315W, but we are finding it hard to make the case in a commercial grow.

The 315 has much better PAR per watt and way more UV. and last way longer. But some growers have showen lights do not matter much.

Last edited:

nr nodes

I was just discussing with Rives in PM's about 315W vs 1K HPS or whatever. We both much prefer the 315W, but we are finding it hard to make the case in a commercial grow.

The 315 has much better PAR per watt and way more UV. and last way longer. But some growers have show lights do not matter much.
Looks like your last sentence got truncated, but this is exactly why I've been commenting. My gut says the 860 is weak sauce and very inefficient compared to DE hps when used in larger numbers.

That's why I think inter lighting or mixing lamps is still a better bet. If/when Philips releases a higher wattage agro cmh, surely that will be best of class for quality commercial production.

Pangea

Veteran
How about the 860w CDM as a good intermediary to CDM for "commercial" growers?

nr.nodes sniped in before me, any other thoughts, or experiences with the 860w

D

Drek

My gut says the 860 is weak sauce and very inefficient compared to DE hps when used in larger numbers.

That's why I think inter lighting or mixing lamps is still a better bet. If/when Philips releases a higher wattage agro cmh, surely that will be best of class for quality commercial production.

CDM860 is 860watts of 3700k ceramic metal halide. There's no reason to compare it to HPS other than they both have ceramic arc tubes. CDM860 is a nice lamp.

Mixing lamps is almost always a worse bet than having a good spectrum emitting from a single source.

Jhhnn

Veteran

One is a point graph, the other a bar graph which tends to average adjacent wavelengths. I don't see them as terribly different.

Looks like your last sentence got truncated
Sure call me out!
I was going to go on about Heath Robinson, and ask how really important lights, or light wattage is. but I was out of time.

My gut says the 860 is weak sauce and very inefficient compared to DE hps when used in larger numbers.
They would if they could, but they literally can't.

It seems the 315W technology creates too much pressure to scale it up to a higher wattage safely. Although I do not have the documentation to support this theory.

Which is why, IMHO, you can draw a stark line between the 315W tech and any other similar CDM tech. This does not mean that other CDM tech can't beat other HPS or MH, or that it can. I am saying is that the 315W CDM is the current state of the art in HID lighting. But I am often wrong.
One is a point graph, the other a bar graph which tends to average adjacent wavelengths. I don't see them as terribly different.
Ok then, but why is it that the web pic shows a series of peaks at ~430-450nm and the PDF show a dip in that range? There are other inconsistencies if you look close.
Or why do all the other PDFs have the same graphs and the 375 the average in the PDF and the peaks on the web page?