What's new

Building a Home Made LED

guvoo

22 gauge should be fine for what you are doing. How many leds are going to be in each circuit and what is the rough total length of the interconnect wiring? If I remember correctly, I used 22 gauge for the point-to-point connections and 18 gauge for the jumpers between the drivers and the first and last mcpcb connections.

soldering the point-to-point connections is also easier with 22 AWG

hot-air is not a good tool here, go for a soldering Station with 80W
or something like this (about 60W)
http://kr.ersa.com/media/pdf/prospekte_kataloge/loetwerkzeuge/indp130_db_e_240608_web.pdf.
done my last light with it, was faster than my station!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

vukman

Veteran
soldering the point-to-point connections is also easier with 22 AWG

hot-air is not a good tool here, go for a soldering Station with 80W
or something like this (about 60W)
http://kr.ersa.com/media/pdf/prospekte_kataloge/loetwerkzeuge/indp130_db_e_240608_web.pdf.
done my last light with it, was faster than my station!

NICE!!!!!!!! thank you for the link as well.. I wasn't thinking of using the air on this but I figured if I'm buying something, might as well buy a 'station' rather than just a 'gun'.

Also, thank you and rives for your input as to which wiring to use. I was planning on the 22awg but when in doubt......ask......:)

I was going to have 3 circuits. one for the whites, one for the blues and one for the reds.
That might get broken down even more..depending on the final layout.
Might run the white, some red and blue into one line, then the rest of the blues on another and the red 660's on the third...
Will be easy enough to change it around when built if I'm not happy........this is after all, a work in progress..

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!! :huggg:

tenthirty

Vuk, get a good soldering station > 50 watts with controllable temp with a temp readout.
This is one of those things that is forever! The one I have pictured is over 20 years old and is still in production and you can buy parts! Around here a good one will set you back $125+.

I've had the gas powered ones and they do work in a pinch, but
it is really hard to control the temp of the tip and they tend to get too hot. For a one time fix in the field they are great, production soldering.....not so much.

20ga stranded wire is the hot ticket, will handle 3a. continuous and not get hot.

Well, I tried to get the new HML tested, but it was just not to be this time. I owe the guy some clones so we will try again soon.
But on the good side, the new lamp is in place now and is working fine.

I did get to plug it in right next to a SolarStorm 800 and the HML is visibly brighter if that means anything.

Today is day 20 of full test #1 to be ended at day 30 more or less.

Observations.

HML plants are noticeably healthier and slightly happier.
HML plants have smoother leaves. PG plants leaves look kinda wrinkly, almost like tiny cracks in the leaves.
HML plants have bigger leaves and show more Indica traits.
HML bud formation is slightly bigger/better than PG plants.

There are 3 plants that are problem children all under the PG lamp,
They all look like mag def. in the lower leaves.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is could be one of 2 things.

1) The problem child plants are having a hard time with the limited spectrum and cannot produce some chemical/s.
2) The PG lamp saturates the plant with red and blue and the plants are getting confused or just have too much light. The HPS also is bleeding over onto them.

Or they could be just shitty clones and they are what they are.
Thus lots of subject all from the same mom, over numerous runs will tell the tale eventually.

Remember this is the first run on only 1 HML bar, but now there are 2 for the next run.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I'll finish the bars today, will post pics, I promise :)

They're almost done, but for the 2nd bar XP-G wiring.

I drew the LED location on the heatsink bars, put them to mockup their best position to ease wiring, then tinned them (easier to do that w/o the massive heatsinks), epoxied them with artic alumina (lazy stoner) to the heatsink, then soldered the wiring.

I put fuses in the + line wiring (1,5A) for the XP-Gs, 3A for the XM-L.

I tested just the XP-Gs in one bar, I checked AC amp draw (227V) 0.25A, so that's 57W including driver (LPC-60-1050, 87% efficiency) losses.

man, that's some serious amount of light!!!! I realized light from high powered LEDs cannot be measured/expected just for the total Watts.... while you can stare at a 55W PLL just fine, no way you can look at these (XP-G, 5W!) without getting blind!

XP-G warm whites light hue remind me the HPS :)

I'll finish today, will do some minor rearranging of the grow chamber and hopefully will put them to use with the 4 girls I have, 2 seedlings (Somango, Amnesia Haze) and 2 clones I was given (Atomic Haze) that are now vegging with 110W PLL.

vukman, get a temp. controlled soldering station, as tenthirty says is a one time investment.

I have two soldering stations, a Weller TCP 50 watt I'd say its 25-30 years old, have done all kind of soldering with it, love it. And an Aoyue superdigital one with hot air, vac pump, temp controlled soldering pen, and the like. Unless is very sensitive SMD work, I always end up going to the weller.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
If you are trying to mount leds onto MCPCBs, I found an induction hot plate and the "interface" disc that they sell for using non-conductive cookware on it to be both fast and simple. Be sure and tin the power connection point on the stars at the same time, it greatly aids things later on.

rives could you point to a post or pic or something for that inductive hot plate method? I've searched but cannot fiond anything I searched for the "shafto method" you have mentioned multiple times but cannot find it...

tenthirty, the XM-L pump out more intensity that the solarstorm 800? ouch! cannot wait to fire up my HML today!

vukman

Veteran
soldering stations

soldering stations

Hi gang:

I appreciate all the input and selfless assistance which takes place in this forum which is why even though I might lurk every once in a while on other forums, this is where I call home..:D

I've been thinking of a few different soldering stations and the ones I always come back to are ones that are similar to the ones on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SMD-Hot-Air-...635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a6f9e85b

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2in1-852D-So...642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c801422

Something along those lines.....any suggestions or advice... Yes, I know the hot air is not needed and probably will never be used but damn it....it's just so damn cool looking!!!!!!! ROFL....

Thanks for any input...

tenthirty

Vuk, either of those look good, but......
Go look up if you can buy parts for them to make sure you can fix it in the future.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
inspired by the thread; i did some research too...

found this driver and this + this LEDs

Are these LEDs suitable?

I'm guessing I need a transformer @ 25 watts but not sure on amperage?

not sure exactly which resistor to use -can someone help me?

tenthirty

inspired by the thread; i did some research too...

found this driver and this + this LEDs

Are these LEDs suitable?

I'm guessing I need a transformer @ 25 watts but not sure on amperage?

not sure exactly which resistor to use -can someone help me?

Judging from your questions, my recommendations are to
sniff around rapidled.com first, then look up how to power and wire up a string of leds.

The driver you selected needs to be driven with 5v.dc and outputs 25 volts pwm. This is not a good choice if you plan to plug this thing into the wall. A Meanwell driver would be a cheaper and better choice.

The leds look ok but, how are you going to mount them and dissipate the heat?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran

Dunno about the LED suitability. (I don't use whites)
But that driver looks slick.

You will need a 3 - 25V. 2A. supply as a minimum.

The resistor is 549 ohms from rset to ground for 1 amp according to their spec sheet.

That's an odd value so you'll have to fiddle around.
I'd get a 1W 560 Ohm resistor and use a triangular file to cut a notch in it with the ohm meter attached.
Or mo' betta, a resistor potentiometer combination to adjust the current down from 1A.
You can use the PWM pin as an on-off switch. Or, hook a variable oscillator to it and use it as a little "off and onnie" dimmer.

Enjoy,
Weezard

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
" A Meanwell driver would be a cheaper and better choice."
Unless you have some DC supplies lying around.:)

Seriously, those chips are $2.32 in small quantities.
And laptop power supplies can be had for a song on fleabay.
If you do find a meanwell that's cheaper that that, please point us at it.

Aloha,
Weeze

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The leds look ok but, how are you going to mount them and dissipate the heat?

probably something quick and dirty like epoxy to a sink

But that driver looks slick

yeah, @ ~$2, it powers 8 LEDs just needs some figuring [above my level] and selecting a power supply

laptop power supplies can be had for a song on fleabay.

i looked through some wall warts and all are too small ~hadn't thought of laptop supplies

here's spectrum info on neutral and warm overlaid -not sure what the lumens might be but they are a high power led

picture.php

View image in gallery

vukman

Veteran
Thank you tenthirty........I've looked at some of the soldering stations there on ebay which actually come with 'spare parts' already! LOL

xmobotx........as the others are saying, the driver looks good especially for the money although the chips........meh......I would seriously recommend you look around for them mounted on star heat sinks already... it really saves a lot of hassle...........that is unless you're a pro at soldering, then I take that back.

I can only speak for myself and from what I've seen on Utube when viewing how chips are attached to heat sinks and even though I have great confidence in my manual dexterity, I dare say I am nowhere near ready to tackle that touchy little project....not yet anyway.

Good Luck

tenthirty

" A Meanwell driver would be a cheaper and better choice."
Unless you have some DC supplies lying around.:)

Seriously, those chips are $2.32 in small quantities.
And laptop power supplies can be had for a song on fleabay.
If you do find a meanwell that's cheaper that that, please point us at it.

Aloha,
Weeze

Weeze, you got a point. I was thinking all new stuff from the store.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
although the chips........meh......I would seriously recommend you look around for them mounted on star heat sinks already... it really saves a lot of hassle...........that is unless you're a pro at soldering, then I take that back.

the work seems heavy but for only 8 might be ok

comparing the luxeon bandwidth though;

luxeon ww is the dark blue ~seems cree has it by a long ways

Weeze, you got a point. I was thinking all new stuff from the store.

usually looking to see if i can re-purpose stuff i have for projects like this

tricky to find 25 w power supply though
ed- found a 15 w printer cord; that'd run 5

Last edited:

tenthirty

Thank you tenthirty........I've looked at some of the soldering stations there on ebay which actually come with 'spare parts' already! LOL
What I have found, is that over about 4 or 5 years the cable to the iron breaks/wears out and I have to replace it.

I can only speak for myself and from what I've seen on Utube when viewing how chips are attached to heat sinks and even though I have great confidence in my manual dexterity, I dare say I am nowhere near ready to tackle that touchy little project....not yet anyway.
From the guy that wears out the cables on the soldering iron.
I saw the same vids, and I'm very afraid. I could burn the shit out of myself real easy, especially doing more than one or two!

On a lighter note.
I checked in on the little ladies, just for a second and for 22 days
they look pretty darn perky with cute little tufts up the stem.

Pics tomorrow.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
ah man, you guys are going to get me buying a soldering station and doing some diy led panels in 2013 if you keep this stuff up LOL.

I LOVE me some diy grow gear