What's new

Building a Home Made LED

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I first got my Lumigrow ES-330, I experimented a bit trying to find the effects of varying levels of r/b. It is easily done with the Lumi, because each color has independent power adjustments. Excessive amount of blue can create a plant with so little stretch that it is impossible to LST or scrog the damn things. If I remember correctly, both KNNA and OldMac advised me that only about 10% blue was needed. My experiments with the Lumi would tend to validate that.

tenthirty

Well, the next run will have one fixture of NW and WW and the existing fixture of NW and 660.

So I will be turning off the 660nm leds for the first 2 weeks and see what we get.
At 14 days, there is nothing I can do about the current run.

By having the grow split into 30 or less day chunks, it sure makes the turnaround considerably quicker per experiment.

I will be getting the use of a quantum meter, and there will be some measurements from the new fixture.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to buy a quantum meter to try and get a better handle on things, but apparently they are very inaccurate above @ 600nm. I don't know if this is a repeatable level of inaccuracy, or if they go erratic.....

vukman

Veteran
There is an interesting story in LED Magazine this month...again........called
"Understanding color science to maximize success with LEDs - part 3.

You have to be a member to either download the pdf or be able to view it online... There's a ton of useful info there so not really a big deal to 'subscribe' to the site.....it is free after all..:)
http://ledsmagazine.com/

tenthirty

Got to love led mag.

"Chromatic coordinates" Hmmmm
Me thinks this very important to plants!

"First of all there is no need for matching chromaticity bins of the cool and warm white LED pairs"

Wish I could copy the charts.

Two thumbs up Vuk.

vukman

Veteran
Got to love led mag.

"Chromatic coordinates" Hmmmm
Me thinks this very important to plants!

"First of all there is no need for matching chromaticity bins of the cool and warm white LED pairs"

Wish I could copy the charts.

Two thumbs up Vuk.

hmm.. I haven't tried copying anything and I have acrobat pro..if that will not work.. then try an image sizing addon for the browser and then screen capture it.. I mean when reading it in the 'ezine' format on line...:)

Just talking out the side of my mouth there,,,not sure if it will work but the theory sounds.....well sounds sound!! ROFL>>>

Good Luck

tenthirty

Here is the key.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planckian_locus

What this does is give us a qualitative starting point.
The Planckian locus gives us a spatial representation for the calculated color quality curve for a (standard) black body/star.
533px-PlanckianLocus.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

The above with this,

Solar_Spectrum.png

gives us a datum, kinda like 29.92in mercury is sea level on a standard day.

Compare the Planckian locus chart against what is coming out of your led, against sun light, HPS.

What is the curve the plant wants to see?......and why........

Best way to create it? CCD and a computer???? (big bucks!!!)
I'm opting for the pocket calc. in my head.

Isn't that what the article is about.

analogue

I was going to buy a quantum meter to try and get a better handle on things, but apparently they are very inaccurate above @ 600nm. I don't know if this is a repeatable level of inaccuracy, or if they go erratic.....

I think they'll be ok up to 650 maybe 700nm now.

Apogee's quantum meters mention a range of 400-700, with some discussion about spectral sensitivity above 650nm.

There are also models with options for selecting Outdoor or Indoor light.

Li-Cor talks about 400-700nm.

A question I have about quantum meters has to do with the ones with options for sunlight and indoor light. Would we be wanting to use the outdoor light setting?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think they'll be ok up to 650 maybe 700nm now.

Apogee's quantum meters mention a range of 400-700, with some discussion about spectral sensitivity above 650nm.

There are also models with options for selecting Outdoor or Indoor light.

Li-Cor talks about 400-700nm.

A question I have about quantum meters has to do with the ones with options for sunlight and indoor light. Would we be wanting to use the outdoor light setting?

Unless there has been some pretty recent changes (since February), the Li-Cor is the only one that really is suitable for usage with LEDs. I looked at both of those, and the Spectrum Technologies Lightscout, and was told that the two handheld units would not give accurate readings for LEDs because the sensor response wasn't specific enough to read single wavelengths well. The added problem was that the wavelength that I was most interested in measuring (660 nm) was right about where the response fell off the cliff. The Li-Cor unit is damn expensive with the data logger. I started pursuing hooking it up to one of my DVMs or o'scope, and about that point exceeded my attention span.

This technology does change pretty quickly, and I'd be interested to know if there is a reasonably economical answer. It would sure facilitate playing with these things.

analogue

:thank you:

Drat. Still not ready for prime time then. :tumbleweed:

early adopter penalties are obstructing my ability to aquire said tools.

tenthirty

Osram Oslon: LCW CQDP.CC

take a look at the spd-chart

http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalogu...t=showBookmark
Nice data sheet, good thing that I took German in school.

Resonant ring system in the plant???
Hmmmm.

Upon interaction with matter, such light asserts a rotational force on the matter, making it possible to rotate and trap microscopic particles or droplets by means of optical tweezing or spanning.

“Perhaps one of the most exciting applications is the control of twisted light at the single-photon level, enabling us to exploit the quantum mechanical properties of optical vortices

vukman

Veteran
WOOOOOOOOT............the drivers are here!!

Total was $54 for the drivers but it's always the shipping cost that hurts..

3 small drivers were $8/ea--------45-65V out....630mA
2 large drivers were $15/ea-------80-130V out..630mA

They should suit the purpose.....:)

vukman

Veteran
Go vuk, go!!

Considering I really like to make hash.
http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...imum-resin-production-medical-cultivator.html

Comments???

Ya know, I can do a quick (2 month) testy on this.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAMN!!!!!!!!!!..never heard it called 'Hash Tips' before though.. I always thought that was bleaching but do you see all those trichomes!?!?!? Now that's what I'm talking about!! BOOOOYAAAAA!!!!!!!!!...heheh

Nice find brother...very nice and yes, I do believe someone should do a test on that to see if there is any truth to it.

I'm still of the school of the 660nm. I mean if everyone and their brother is saying that the peak uptake is at or around the 660-670nm wave length, it would only make sense to me that I would listen to these people with all those letters behind their names. (ei..Dr so & so of 6 degrees...etc.etc..) and put the damn 660nm LED's into the fray...all be damned!

Just my two bits........

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAMN!!!!!!!!!!..never heard it called 'Hash Tips' before though.. I always thought that was bleaching but do you see all those trichomes!?!?!? Now that's what I'm talking about!! BOOOOYAAAAA!!!!!!!!!...heheh

Nice find brother...very nice and yes, I do believe someone should do a test on that to see if there is any truth to it.

I'm still of the school of the 660nm. I mean if everyone and their brother is saying that the peak uptake is at or around the 660-670nm wave length, it would only make sense to me that I would listen to these people with all those letters behind their names. (ei..Dr so & so of 6 degrees...etc.etc..) and put the damn 660nm LED's into the fray...all be damned!

Just my two bits........
'

I'm beginning to think whether 660 is +/- is strain dependent. Put them on a separate switchable circuit and you are covered

Latest posts

Latest posts