What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Blumat auto watering

walindour

Flow - thanks a million. Nice concise summary that will save new Blumat setups 86 pages of reading and deciphering. You rock!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 3 of the tall Units that are on a pump. They seem to be doing what there supposed to do but im still hand watering. I use 10g pots You will need 2 units min 3 is better.

Last edited:

Flow don't stru

flow-

the one thing i noticed that might be changed is when you talk about the looped system...

Nice one heady blunts - I have changed the text accordingly. I don't think I will be coming back here every few days for a re-edit though! Maybe when the thread chalks up another thousand or so posts. :)

It might make the basis for a sticky if someone wants to add in photos and edit for consistency. But, hell, it makes sense as it is, so why bother?

Me, I am happy to make a contribution to such a terrific thread, plain full of generous people. Spread the love all.:jump:

N

NextUp

With the blumats, the plant controls the moisture level. As the plant grows and uses more water or the conditions change, the blumats compensate to keep the moisture level the same. The method that you are describing requires you to determine the moisture level (same as you would with the blumats), but as the plant and environment changes, you need to change your settings to accommodate the changes. Pumping out a feed line with paralleled lines breaking off of it is never going to give you matched outputs - the water is going to flow heaviest on the path of least resistance.

Thanks, i have been thinking along the same lines as too flow.
still working it out. Good luck

lowbrow

WOW this is a great thread! I'm really glad I read the whole thing and a BIG THANKS to everyone who contributed!

I am definitely ordering some blumats but I'd like some advice if anyone can offer it.. I'm growing 24 girls in 7 gallon smart pots in amended soil. Would you blumat pros start out buying the patio set, and use 2 per pot, then adding more single blumats and parts to fill them all? Or get the Maxi's and piece together everything else I need? Maybe the 50 pack is my best bet if I can find them in the US. I will of course get more drip line :)

Am I correct in thinking there's no reason to buy the official Blumat T-fittings, as the 3/32 T from kentsystems.com will work perfectly for pennies on the dollar?

I plan on using an jumbo igloo cooler for my res. It seems like I should be able to find a bulkhead and shut-off valve to fit the drain plug, but I have no idea..

Irrigation is all new to me, I just lift the pots and hand water when they're too light, so I'm not really sure of everything I would need if it would be better go with the Maxi's (or the 50 pack) and piece together a system from the get-go.. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why are they on a pump???

SD:tiphat:

If I dont use a pump they wont supply enough water for a 10g pot. I was on utube a while back and saw a video with it on a pump. It just works better then gravity imo. Having said that I have removed them all. There just not working to my expectations. I stick with hand watering for now. 3 blumats for sale lol

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Bummer

Bummer

If I dont use a pump they wont supply enough water for a 10g pot. I was on utube a while back and saw a video with it on a pump. It just works better then gravity imo. Having said that I have removed them all. There just not working to my expectations. I stick with hand watering for now. 3 blumats for sale lol

Bummer.
I don't understand, but, bummer.:badday:

Just put my order in for my new setup. Six 7 gallon pots surrounding a cooltubed vert 600w w/ 2 blumats per hole and as big a res as I can fit :) hope they live up to the hype!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bummer.
I don't understand, but, bummer.:badday:

The main reason for the pump was I dont need to put the res above the Blumats. As you know the water res needs to be above the blumats to work. I did not have anywhere to place the 35g tote above the blumats. I installed a small pump so gravity was not an issue. Cant explain it more simply then that.

mad librettist

Veteran
I have my rez on a dresser.

I am sooooo hapy with my blumats! I will gradually be switching to a mix of regs and maxi's, but the patio kit was a good buy. Installing a vent cured my runaways.

A

ak-51

The main reason for the pump was I dont need to put the res above the Blumats. As you know the water res needs to be above the blumats to work. I did not have anywhere to place the 35g tote above the blumats. I installed a small pump so gravity was not an issue. Cant explain it more simply then that.
Interesting, but I'm still wondering how well it works. What kind of pump are you using? I'm guessing it runs all the time then right? Wouldn't all the pressure on the lines burn up the pump?

Like you, I didn't have any good option to elevate any of my totes that I'd consider acceptable (either a 14 gallon or a 27 gallon). I did what somebody earlier in this thread did, which was use a 5 gallon bucket as the elevated res and have a pump refill it from a larger, lower res.

Also unrelated:
My 4 are working great so far. Every 2 or 3 days I drain the line which includes taking the end off to drain air bubble and also opening up the blumat valves all the way to flush the drip lines clean. It seems like sediments tend to build up at the pinch point or somewhere in the drip line, opening them up cleans them out nicely and then I just set them back to where they were.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran

I understand that part, I'm just bummed it didn't work out for you.:ying:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Hey, Blumat Mothership!

Hey, Blumat Mothership!

Herr Oberblumatmeister;
Since my thread has probably sold a HELLUVA LOT MORE Blumats for you than you were doing on your own, I am letting it be known I GRACIOUSLY ACCEPT GRATUITY'S, KICKBACKS, R+D position, etc.:prettyplease:
PM me...... :laughing:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
B/M dripper hose kief joint!

B/M dripper hose kief joint!

Did this last nite, works GREAT!

1- collect a nice amount ( I do not exactly remember, but prolly 'bout a gram or two) of high quality kief.

2- lay some kief in fold in paper.Be generous, as it gets "pressed".

3- put a section of dripper hose on top of the kief layer. Works best with a short end hanging out and a long end.

4- apply 'mo kief to bury the hose.

5- roll this up nice and Tight.

6- use a lighter,etc. to GENTLY heat the doob and kinda roll between palms,table, etc. (you will see oils soak through the paper a bit.)

7-Gently pullout the hose!

You should now have a doob tube , that burns really slow and even.
Works best to hold with a clip so you don't crush it.

Enjoy!

lowbrow

:bump: Any thoughts??

WOW this is a great thread! I'm really glad I read the whole thing and a BIG THANKS to everyone who contributed!

I am definitely ordering some blumats but I'd like some advice if anyone can offer it.. I'm growing 24 girls in 7 gallon smart pots in amended soil. Would you blumat pros start out buying the patio set, and use 2 per pot, then adding more single blumats and parts to fill them all? Or get the Maxi's and piece together everything else I need? Maybe the 50 pack is my best bet if I can find them in the US. I will of course get more drip line :)

Am I correct in thinking there's no reason to buy the official Blumat T-fittings, as the 3/32 T from kentsystems.com will work perfectly for pennies on the dollar?

I plan on using an jumbo igloo cooler for my res. It seems like I should be able to find a bulkhead and shut-off valve to fit the drain plug, but I have no idea..

Irrigation is all new to me, I just lift the pots and hand water when they're too light, so I'm not really sure of everything I would need if it would be better go with the Maxi's (or the 50 pack) and piece together a system from the get-go.. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Latest posts

Latest posts