What's new

BEST GUARD DOG?

X15

I love pits (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) and had a grey hound pit mix with my ex. She was the best dog ever. Another experience was back when I lived with a good friend, he had two pits that lived in the house with us… which was also a pretty well equipped 10-15 lighter. It was back in what I consider more of the hydro days so tables took up most the space, but man they were so well behaved and had the property on lock at all times. They had a bark that was serious but only used it when really provoked. Which I always appreciated. They got tons of exercise and were our best friends. Highly recommend a dog in those times of seclusion.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
pitts have a certain rep, nearly all unfounded from my experience. COULD they eat your ass up? sure, any big dog could. those that friends have are all big babies & will knock you down (literally) playing with you. belly rubs all around, lol. friend of my late brother had the biggest Rottweiler i've ever laid eyes on. owner said he was absolutely trustworthy EXCEPT at feeding time. he locked his own dog in garage while filling food bowl. the big SOB would eat, then come over to fence to be petted; head as high as the 4 ft chain link fence. loved having his ears scratched. i've been bitten 4 times by dogs, one was an abused GSD, the other 3 were chicken-shit boxers that nailed me AFTER petting them and starting to talk to their owners. the best guard dog is the noisiest, just let me know someone's here...i'll do the rest.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Presa canario
One of my dogs best doggie friends is a big ole cropped eared Presa,,,,
played together as pups and adolescents but unfortunately the Presa is not as playful with other dogs now after nipping a couple so he’s mainly on the lead until it’s safe for our dogs to play,,,
My parents Pitbull was such a gentle loving little thing that loved playing with other dogs until around 4 yr old a Staff boy attacked her whilst my mum had her on a lead,,,,,suffice to say that instinct kicked in and the Staff was left in a blood stained mess ,,,unfortunately she had to be muzzled when out after that incident but was still a fantastic dog ,,,,s2

X15

So true @armedoldhippy My childhood dog bit a neighbor girl on the butt cheek one day while she was roller skating down the street swinging her arms in the air. Never thought in my life our family dog would do something like that but something provoked him and as minimal as it was (no broken skin or anything, just a pinch) still is a lesson learned. As for Pits. I’ve met more naturally intelligent pits than not, they are good learners as well. So I’m with you, bad rep but that’s just nonsense.

BuckeyeGreen

One of the smartest and easily trainable breeds is still the German Shepard. Naturally very loyal and very protective. However if you get a well bred male Rottweiler then you have size, power, brains and a dog that can be truly vicious. I’ve owned them and if you want to see a guy piss himself because he made a male Rottie mad and the Rottie turned on him, get a Rottie. Besides that a beautiful, loving pet. Just don’t, in anyway, threaten the owner.
Usually the size is enough to turn people away. Mine weighed 135lbs. and people would cross the street to the other side when they saw us coming when I walked him. I saw him get mad twice, it scared the hell out of me and he wasn’t even mad at me.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
too many people think "MY dog would never blahblahblah" until it did...they think the same about their kids. :shucks:
We own multiple muzzles for her. She is good with other dogs and people at the dog park. But at home she is crazy protective.
On the other hand our pit x bullmastiff is super friendly. But when surprised with someone not familiar in the house he snapped right into protective mode. Just not with the level of psychotic as the presa.
I'll say this. I have owned a few pitbulls and an old English bulldogge. All were protective but generally good natured and easy to deal with. This presa is wired completely different than a pitbull. Nothing about her personality is the same.

Pitbull.... if someone acts up they are there and ready.

Presa canario..... she is just waiting for someone to fuck up so she can do her job. No protection training required. Just obedience and socializing. They want to guard something.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
weak nerves=nerve biters=gene pool needs culling……untrusting liability…….wouldn’t feed it……

one would be best to teach their dog to not accept food/treats…..cause one jacked up hot dog can end career…..and now no protection….

shithawk420

Veteran
My pit/ lab mix is a good boy but I don't think he would protect shit.now an ovcharka doesn't even have to do anything.just seeing the beast would stop most people

Reactions: X15

X15

weak nerves=nerve biters=gene pool needs culling……untrusting liability…….wouldn’t feed it……

one would be best to teach their dog to not accept food/treats…..cause one jacked up hot dog can end career…..and now no protection….
My homie Salty has said the same thing.
Great advice

growshopfrank

Veteran
So true @armedoldhippy My childhood dog bit a neighbor girl on the butt cheek one day while she was roller skating down the street swinging her arms in the air. Never thought in my life our family dog would do something like that but something provoked him and as minimal as it was (no broken skin or anything, just a pinch) still is a lesson learned. As for Pits. I’ve met more naturally intelligent pits than not, they are good learners as well. So I’m with you, bad rep but that’s just nonsense.
A pinch bite towards the rear is common herding behavior for dogs. Sometimes its playful/affectionate as well if the dog was intent to do harm it would have taken a good bite.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
A pinch bite towards the rear is common herding behavior for dogs. Sometimes its playful/affectionate as well if the dog was intent to do harm it would have taken a good bite.
had a giant schnauzer years back. was playing with him, and stopped to ask my wife something. big SOB wasn't ready to quit playing, and chomped me right on the back pocket of my blue jeans and ran for it! tickled all three of us! miss that dog bad...

buzzmobile

Veteran
You have been warned.
1674048066949.png

Latest posts

Latest posts