What's new

BEST GUARD DOG?

T

ThirstyKenny

Hi Dr Fever. Beautiful looking dog! He kind of looks like the dogs a mate of mine has. They are Maremma sheepdogs and he has them living with his herd of goats to keep the feral dogs away. Unless you know they're there, you wouldnt even see them as they blend in with the goats so well. Are they related or similar to your breed?

T

ThirstyKenny

My pit is one hell of a guard dog!

Hi Bad7887. Good to meet you. I really like the pitbulls. If i didn't have my little red cattle dog i was going to get one as a traveling companian and guard dog. A good mate of mine has one amoungst his dog team for feral pig hunting. I haven't seen him in action- not really my thing- but his owner assures me he can hang on to the piggest boar no matter how much he is being thrown about. He's a nice dog too once he gets to know you. If he doesn't, well, i'm glad he knows me :D
Unfortunately here in Australia they are given a pretty bad wrap and i think they might be banned in a few states.
Cheers

T

The Sensi Rebel

I have a pitbull/rat terrier mix (my babygirl, 14 years old), english sheapard, german sheapard (who is part wolf) and a 140lb. doberman....all muscle like his owner :p

try havin' some LEO or some other FUCK run up in my house!

haha, jp, they are all incredibly social. the 14 year old runs around like a 2 year old pup on my land, the dobie is a big fat baby who is nothing more than a big galoot/snuggler, haha

t.o.med

for me its any type of mastiff breed. perfect stoner dog totally chill unless theres a real reason not to be. the dogue de borduex i had would even bark a differrent way if the shit was about to go down. not everybody wants a 150 + lb dog though.

S

SeaMaiden

for me its any type of mastiff breed. perfect stoner dog totally chill unless theres a real reason not to be. the dogue de borduex i had would even bark a differrent way if the shit was about to go down. not everybody wants a 150 + lb dog though.

I think everyone here would agree that your dog's bark changes according to what's happening. I can hear it with my dog and I think it drives my husband up the wall. She'l be barking and he'll say, "What the hell is she on about?" And I'll say, "There's someone walking by." He'll look outside, and there's someone walking by. Other times her bark changes, and then *I'll* start becoming concerned (long story as to reasons), looking for whoever it is that's set foot on the property. I KNOW when someone has set foot on the property based on the dog's bark. I KNOW when someone's across the street, based on her bark. I know when there's a cat fight because she completely loses her mind and, frankly, I wish she'd bark at humans like that.

I love big dogs, but can't quite hang with big DROOLY, wetmouthed dogs. GSD, Belgian Malinois, Czech or Dutch Shepherd, something like that for us/me. If my husband would have agreed, we'd have a Rottie, but even though they're not that bad as far as being wetmouthed, he still doesn't care for the breed.

sixpak

I have had a hand full of Rotties. I think if their raised in a friendly family enviroment you should not have any problems when you have peeps over with the exception of them looking for some attention. More like a lab in wolves clothing. Dogs pick up on your vibe. the dogs parents temperament also is inherited so make sure you check out both prents before you get a pup. Stay away from any pups with overly aggressive parents. Spent a little money to have a pro trainer train "ME" how to train my dogs. Money well spent! 15 minutes twice a day is all it takes for a few months then once a week or so to keep them that way. You will be happier and the dog will be happier since you will be more likely to take a well trained dog with more often. Nice to be able to go "ANYWHERE" with your dog off leash if you choose and know he is not going to leave your side un less you say it's ok!

S

SeaMaiden

I have had a hand full of Rotties. I think if their raised in a friendly family enviroment you should not have any problems when you have peeps over with the exception of them looking for some attention. More like a lab in wolves clothing. Dogs pick up on your vibe. the dogs parents temperament also is inherited so make sure you check out both prents before you get a pup. Stay away from any pups with overly aggressive parents. Spent a little money to have a pro trainer train "ME" how to train my dogs. Money well spent! 15 minutes twice a day is all it takes for a few months then once a week or so to keep them that way. You will be happier and the dog will be happier since you will be more likely to take a well trained dog with more often. Nice to be able to go "ANYWHERE" with your dog off leash if you choose and know he is not going to leave your side un less you say it's ok!
I've handled and raised Rotties before. Love them, although their intelligence level means you've got a dog that will test you its entire life. I still have a dog like that, she just has not one protective bone in her body is all. She's great off-leash, but when I'm walking her and others come with their dogs, I do leash her up because lots of people get upset (and don't have control of their dogs).

Bitch and dog temperament is why I will go specifically with dogs that are accomplished in Schutzhund. It will be noted in their pedigree, if I'm reading the pedigrees correctly.

Anyone here catch Alpha Dogs on NatGeo Wild?

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think most dogs that are loved & cared for are good guard dogs. Their main job is early warning and most do that really well. I was brought up with working dogs - spaniels, Jack Russell, lurchers etc. and kept JR's mostly from choice. However I was given a staffie bitch pup about 7 yrs ago, by my kids. I would never have chosen one but now I wouldn't have any other dog. The care & loyalty they display 24/7 is inspiring. Don't know what I'd do without my Milly now, we're like partners & best pals all rolled into one. Can't have her on a lead because of my back (spinal condition) so she's been trained not to need one. Everyone who lives around me loves her to bits and always seem pleased to see her.
Ahh dogs, could talk about them for ever - love love love em!

cravin morehead

Veteran
one thing i've noticed through the years of having dogs is that they train each other the best. what i mean is if i have a very good dog that knows the rules and how to behave in certain circumstances and bring in a new pup, the older dog immediately begins correcting unwanted behavior of the new puppy. for the last 15 years or so, we've had 2 dogs at a time. for the most part, the 2 dogs were about 4 years apart in age. as the older dogs pass, we would introduce new puppies to our home. the pack mentality helps the pups learn the rules much faster than we could teach them.
for some reason my typing doesn't make much sense to me today. seems like i'm talking/typing weird today. sorry for the strange wording...

cm

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
She would love the opportunity to munch on an intruder. When I come home late she is at the door in bite the shit out of someone mode. It would be dangerous to come home drunk in a halloween costume. The first dog I have ever owned that when someone asks if she is nice I answer not really.
20221205_071425.jpg

William76

We've got shar pei there good guard and family dogs,loyal and never give up,also known as Chinese mastiffs.thing is if anything went down I'd put the dogs behind me,heaven help the person that trys to hurt my dogs.im sure many a doglover is the same.76

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
had ‘em all….any junkyard mentality dog will do, but a Caucasian Ovcharka……might eat you….