What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Wal

True for Mr Nice seeds .
1st lot I got 5 dif strains . White seeds ! WTF ? I thought I had been robbed .

Put lots of 5 in water .
The seeds germed within 24 hours . 12 months later not one would sprout . GRRRR !
Made me think immature seeds don`t handle heat very well .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

rod58

fucked if i know rexy , i can't see them being subject to any more heat than what we get here . and 3 years running i've had problems .
yeah the seeds were nice and dark colored donald so i don't think its immaturity . i've read of others having similar problems on this forum as well and i really can't see the vendors selling really old seeds , maybe now and then some old stock gets passed on , but thats just not good business and most of them seem really genuine . do any of you boys have this problem ?

benjuanman

Veteran
That's crazy what you said about the seeds coz I thought about customs usung gamma rays or something too. Ive never had problems with seeds germinating till now. what made me think it was that was the fact that ive gotten beans from different seed banks and privately from overseas and gotten little to no germination. I cant put my finger on it coz the majority where big dark mature seeds.

Brother Nature

I've had that recently myself. However, when I've ordered directly from the breeders I don't seem to have the germ problems. I think it may be some of the larger and less scrupulous seed banks don't care so much about quality control. We've got some pretty unique and great genetics down this part of the world though so I've been really impressed with what I've gotten out of bag seeds and random seeds people kick my way.

Goldust

I havent had any problems starting seed since ive been using rapid rooters before
i was which is annoying especially is you get only 1 seed of something for a freebie and it dies or never pops

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
gotta make your own seed i guess guys ...

i havent received anything from overseas in some time ,
im doubting on the radiation etc though ,
i know others get seeds on a regular basis ,
no probs ...

if cuttings can make it from that distance ,
seeds certainly can ....

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I HIGHLY doubt it's either gamma or X rays. Gammas are just too damn dangerous so they don't really use them(much) and x-rays are basically the same except for the how they are are created. BASICALLY THE SAME. X-rays can be made to be as powerful as pretty much needed. They do use x-rays.The obvious benefit to x-rays is that they can be turned off!lol

I've exposed seeds to outrageous ammounts of X-rays, gamma rays, alpha and beta particles in an attempt to damage the living shit out of them.haha

At one point I actually even concidered flying some seeds up to about 80,000 ft to expose them to cosmic rays as per video below.lol

https://youtu.be/rpBnurznFio

My purpose build x-ray generator is at least twice as powerful as the new generators customs uses. I know because I built mine out of three of their older models. It's more powerful than any sane person could ever want or need.

Point is, in my research I discovered what my own experiments proved, that is dormant seeds are REALLY fkn hard to hurt with ionizing radiation. It can be done but it aint easy. Their repair mechanism is just to good. It's a survival thing that all seeds have as everything is exposed to a small amount of radiation on earth.

Exposing seeds to large amounts of ionizing radiation during germination is another story. The cells splitting at ever increasing rates is why. It gets so fast that even those killer repair mechs can't keep up.

UV is a different story. UV will cause small cracks in the shell which will cause it to dry out. Effectively sterilizing them at various speeds depending on the size and numbers of cracks obviously. This is why you can often germinate hemp seeds that say they have been sterilized. If they're fresh you can get pretty good germ rates but if you wait 3-4 months the rate drops off greatly.

I believe the seeds would have to be directly exposed to the light source so if I'm right, it wouldn't make sense that this is the cause of seeds received through the mail.

On a side note- if it weren't for Australia I would have never gone in the direction I did with cannabis. DAMN YOU GUYS!!!haha

On a side side note - I wouldn't have been able to build the electronic gadgets I've built if weren't for some of your wacky brothers!lol there are a few guys on YouTube from Australia that helped me out a lot. They're electrical wizards that should probably be arrested!haha owe them a lot. That continent! Something fkn STRANGE about it!haha

misfit island I tell ya!lol

Last edited:

rexamus616

Veteran
so maybe its just seeds being stored poorly before sale?

the 20+ year old skunk seeds I bought the other day are germinating pretty well....

I've always found better germ rates with my homegrown seeds - vegetables or cannabis.... usually the seeds are bigger too.... but many of the 10 packs i've bought online have had 90 - 100% germ rates....

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
One thing I can say is that they don't use their seed/plant-destroying frickin laser beam willy-nilly...they'll contact you if it's (legal) plant material and see if you could be fucked paying them to nuke it and send it on, or just have them destroy it.
Cannabis are treated differently by customs of course, but as said, being xrayed shouldn't do anything.
I'd suspect poorly stored and/or old stock first. Or like Rex said, some seeds apparently respond to different germ methods.

I actually just dropped in to post this Aussie version of the "Don't tread on me" flag here, made me chuckle:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I actually just dropped in to post this Aussie version of the "Don't tread on me" flag here, made me chuckle:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74642&pictureid=1784294]View Image[/url]

^^^That's exactly what I'm talkin bout!^^^

The sense on humor on you guys. Fkn hilarious.haha New Zealanders too.

Side note- Cheech Marin was in a movie that was set in Australia and his character and I have the same last name.

I feel so connected to you guys!!!!haha

benjuanman

Veteran
I've got some movement at the station with some seeds. Like you guys said they could have been stores incorrectly and let dry out heaps coz normally I soak for 24hrs but this time it was close to a week. I'm pumped that I've got only a couple potential mullys coz pot is dear as poison here. Sticks aren't $20 a gram but $25 for 0.8 or 2 for $50. Will b great having good clean smoke once again.

rexamus616

Veteran
urgh.... 30 degrees in the house, and its 7pm at night.....

wretched weather!!

grass crunches under foot.... dead and dry.... terrible

benjuanman

Veteran
It was at least 38 on Saturday so I'm not looking forward to summer coz it can hit 50 some days even 40's at night!!!

Dog Star

Veteran
Thats too hot.. also we haved one week where temps was over 40 C with a maximum
of 42 C and i just claim its too much for body.. i could live close to equator if
i have climate of PNG mountains,2000-3000 meters over sea where breeze blowing
and temps dont go too much high...,i could never live in tropical valley with those
overhelming hot and humid..

Summers we have +42 C and Winters are -27 C max... crazy temperatures here..
Adriatic Sea have more and more tropical specie of fishes from Global warming
effects.. fishes that never lived here..

budsnblunts

Veteran
How's it going you lot ? Sorry I haven't been here lately, busy busy busy settling in with my family.. Huge changes for me over the last year.hope everyone's kept out of trouble and planing on a big year I know I am

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Gday you mob nice to see that this old thread is still kicking along, finally remembered my password and thought I'd drop in an say hello :)

Status
Not open for further replies.