What's new

An $89 Legal Oz

Maple_Flail

MOMs, illegal storefronts and the res stores only exploded in the last 5 – 6 years. I was a consumer and completely out of the pot scene and still buying through a friend. At the urging of my stepson I walked into my first illegal dispensary on Queen St W in May 2017, when the mainstream press started talking about them. I was blown away that weed was that available with the cops only playing whac- a-mole with the stores. Shortly after, I got my med docs and started growing that same year. Even though it seems much longer ago, It is all very recent history for most of us.

That is a little short on your time line. those stores in particular started popping up around 2015, maybe early 2016 when I noticed them, basically as soon as there was word of a federal program(meaning the MMAR shift to MMPR) I started looking for places and could definitely find some..(not that I wanted to pay those prices frequently) I'm sure if I was looking i could have found them earlier.

But that Queen w, scene was great for a couple years until the whac-a-mole turned into concrete traffic dividers being places in front of their business entrance doors, got kinda ugly after that. Even still, Oneida and Tyendinaga were running at that point and thier prices were worth the drive.

In Canada the provinces and the municipality all had a say so things are different in different parts of the country. After a year of nothing but gov't online in Ontario, they went wild. We now have 1468 dispensaries open in the province with another 455 in the wings - even with some large cities opting out. The expectation is that a lot of them will die or be swallowed by chains.

That was a Gov' back log to funnel sales to them which backfired and 80% just stayed black market.. that why they went hog wild with the approvals.

So far in this little town far from Queen W, only 2 maybe 3 shops have folded. Both seemingly for the same reason.. they both kept a short menu. The places that thrive have so many options so they appeal to every one and their price is reflective of that.. biggest inventory store gets away with 5%-10% higher prices than everyone else. some how holding that much stock and being able to move it frequently with only part time(or educational placement) employees is the way to make money.

Anyone should be able to open a business. It's up to them to make $$ to keep the doors open. Any that cant will fail just like any business. These licenses are a scam for the gov to make $$ at every step.

Unfortunately the regulation doesn't really allow that.. it can, just the framework isn't in place. Also there is a quasi LCBO vibe to the distribution.. just because the store orders it doesn't mean they actually get it. so there might be an internal Hierarchy in the distribution, likely to do with who you have promotional deals with.

There is a need that is not being meet in Canada by any one source, the black and the grey market will continue to survive until those needs are available. I know this because I am constantly approached to make therapeutic edibles (i say therapeutic because of the ratio of cbd in the edibles) because the stuff in the legal stores isn't doing it and the distillate based stuff from the illegal shops just don't have 'legs' to use reliably as medication. I can also change up ratios on a per batch bases depending on my input material. this is something hard to find on any market.

Maple_Flail

Dude. How much are they paying you to spam this trash?
and who would be paying me? the legal shops? LOL they barely make payroll. the REZs? not a hope they are going to agree on anything , different bands different plants none of which include some random farm boy whitey that isn't Banded.

its pretty clear my only allegiance is where the good stuff shows up at reasonable prices, from reasonable people.. that list clearly does not include you.

gp7zx69

Veteran
weed online right now in canada with free shipping! $89 is for rubes! lol...
Screenshot (126).png
Screenshot (127).png

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Oh wow $20 an ounce...I could swing that. You guys in Canada have it made with your mail-order buds. Anyone going to do it?
On the more expensive side, anyone remember Bud Buddy? I successfully got Bogglegum in the mail, 2005 or so. Also used Sandra Green back then...$90 a quarter and she would smush it into vacuum seal and send regular envelope. I was proud of myself. I got high. Those were the days. Now I go to the medical dispensary. Mostly bubblehash.

Thooooooose were the days....

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
$24.99 . . . yeah, I will order that right away. I have never seen a weed rating of 'A' quality. :rasta:

And they have Chocolate Shroomicorns too!

Somatek

Oh wow $20 an ounce...I could swing that. You guys in Canada have it made with your mail-order buds. Anyone going to do it?
On the more expensive side, anyone remember Bud Buddy? I successfully got Bogglegum in the mail, 2005 or so. Also used Sandra Green back then...$90 a quarter and she would smush it into vacuum seal and send regular envelope. I was proud of myself. I got high. Those were the days. Now I go to the medical dispensary. Mostly bubblehash.

Thooooooose were the days....
I just had a flash back to ordering budder from Bud Buddy for something like 100+/g, then having to explain to everyone I wasn't smoking crack out of the oiler.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
regrettably all them oz's/pounds/kilos we bought, we never kept any seeds - back in the late 60's/early 70's growing was the last thing we were thinking... i blame it on the quaaludes .... all we wanted to do is get laid...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis back then was more personal, it was more about love and helping others. Getting laid was as easy as a walk in the park lol.. Growing weed was/is a huge part of life and friends. Today people are thinking about what will I get out of helping others. The closer it gets to being a fully legalized commodity the more bad people will get involved. I keep hoping the younger generation will see the benefits of lifting ea other up. That greed affects my generation as well. It's sad to see 60 year old men arguing over bruised egos. I blame it on the crappy reduced cannabinoids with high THC only people smoke today. Bring back those Sativa hybrids that had it all and were grown 95% of the time. I digress

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
$300 to $400 lbs were still available in Southern Colorado 15 years ago. Most was garbage but some of them were actually good weed. When they were good you had to grab them fast because they were not going to last.