What's new

$$$Air Pots and Smart Pots Club$$$

T

tea

hello friends:wave:

next week i start a airpot grow and this time with coco ( cana coco pro + ) and from the first day with fine selected gh cheese and at the moment growing barney's farm-blue cheese fm from seeds.
picture.php

your tea:wave:

S

Surfr

I bought two 2.5 gallon air pots to test out on this current crop.. They are at 54 days flower right now and wow. My yields have easily doubled.. I am looking at a 4 oz plant that is less than 2 feet tall. No joke. I am a firm believer in air pots.. I will be picking up a bunch of the 4.3 gal ones for the next round.

derbstep

Where are you guys buying these,air-pots? I was in a shop in Oregon that had them and said they were made in Alabama, my home state. I figured i'd try to come find a store here that sells them but I also wanted to know where you guys were getting them? Better yet what are the prices you guys see for the air-pots?

Jahtrip

I have noticed that secondary branches develope better in airpots... Im on my 4th run using 12liter airpots i beleive that is about 3.5 gallons?.. The plants grow at the same rate as in normal pots but looking at the branching, youll notice thicker more sturdy side branches! If you super crop the main stem once... you promote the secondary branches to grow... but never will they be as sturdy as in airpots!
I love them to maintain mother plants also! U dont need to repot as often!
One thing you can guarantee is a 15-20% bigger harvest on the square meter using them... Not 15-20% per plant.... >But per square meter...
I dont know how much the airpots go for where you are.. but here its not much more expensive than normal pots...

The ideal scenario in my opinion is to start plants off in small airpots... to finally bring them to a growing bed.. this way they will develope a tight and compact root system in the airpots and once in the bed they can spread to fill up the bed too..keeping the densest part of the root system near each individual plant.... Did that make sense?..
:) Thats just my 2 cents on it all..:)

Love the airpots....

I

Iron_Lion

I have seen this posted by several people but it seems to be one of those things that people assume will work but have never tried it and advise others to use them. I would not trust the stitching and what is going to leach out of the bag and are they going to break down over time from being wet? Maybe they work great but please don't assume they do and advise others to use them without experience to show whether they really work or not. Thank you.

THEY WORK!
I love how people put down ideas they have NO experience with. These are just cheap recycled shopping bags, and they're square so I can really pack them in under the lightand roots DO grow thru them. They also hold up to LST very well too. Just wait for the bud pics, this is at day 14 of 12/12. These also hold more than 6 gallons of soil all for about a buck.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Has anyone tried the Roots version of the Smart Pot? They're considerably cheaper, pretty much the same price as regular nursery pots. I picked up a bunch of #10's recently and will be trying them out soon. Apparently they're biodegradable, so you can only use them for a few rounds. But should be great for throwing directly into the compost pile, or using outdoors.

I dont use Roots, but I use Root Pouch, which is the same thing, but even cheaper. They work great, and Im sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

bobhamm

Greetings all.

I’m making up some pots from cheap weed barrier cloth and dollar store Poly-Prop laundry style baskets of about 2 gallons capacity.

Question: The single layer of cloth admits a fair amount of light. Would experienced users double this up to make near opaque?

Thanks Everyone.

How did yours turn out? I have an iced grapefruit using the exact same thing and basket(great minds and all that) that is doing really well

I just got a few C.A.P. Gro Pots, similar to Smart Pots, I got teh 2 gallon size, and they look really small, they say they are 7.6 liters, but again, they look more like straight up 1 gallon size pots.....Not sure what to think.....they measure, like 6 inches accross the bottom and almost 8 inches tall..... Anyone else use or see CAP's version of smart pots?

They are pretty heavy duty with sewn in handles, but I was hoping for a true 2 gallons, and Im pretty sure its only 1, and 1 gallon in flower scares me.....

What do y'all think would be better....1 gallon smart pots or 3 gallon plastic pot? Im in a pickle, I need to transplant today and flip to 12/12, but dont know what to do....

Geeyah

Question for the air-pot guys. I'm on my first grow ever and started out with the .6 gallon air pots. On a couple of them there are like 30 roots sticking out the bottom of the pots. They weren't there two days ago. Is it time to switch pots? The next size I have is 3.4 gallons and I was hoping those to be the final home into flower but these guys are only 2 weeks into the .6 gallon pots.

T

tea

Question for the air-pot guys. I'm on my first grow ever and started out with the .6 gallon air pots. On a couple of them there are like 30 roots sticking out the bottom of the pots. They weren't there two days ago. Is it time to switch pots? The next size I have is 3.4 gallons and I was hoping those to be the final home into flower but these guys are only 2 weeks into the .6 gallon pots.
yeah it's really time to transplant your plants if you see the roots comming;)

cya, tea:wave:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
yeah it's really time to transplant your plants if you see the roots comming;)

cya, tea:wave:

I dont quite believe now is the time to transplant.

I love seeing those roots sticking out. Either they'll die from exposure, or Ill snip the tips off myself. The more roots I see coming out, the greater the lateral branching thats going on, and that makes me happy. Why move upsize at this point, when it would seem the bags are having the greatest effect?

I want a super dense rootball, than can just explode when transplanted into larger bags. I definitely noticed a large increase in growth when I went from 1 gallon to 3 gallon bags, and I dont think I would have experienced it had I transplanted sooner. I let my plants stay in 1 gallon bags for 1 month to 1.5 months when vegging.

If you transplant early, those root tips now have to travel a greater distance to be root pruned, and the effect is diminished.

Relentless

Veteran
I recently purchased some smart ass pots off e bay. Ill be running (12) 7gal under two 600s in 2 weeks :D

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just started a side by side with 3 gal grow bags and 3 gal smart pot and kksc clones. we shall see ;)

also bought one to hold one of my mothers that auto flowers when root bound. lets see if this will help.

Geeyah

I dont quite believe now is the time to transplant.

I love seeing those roots sticking out. Either they'll die from exposure, or Ill snip the tips off myself. The more roots I see coming out, the greater the lateral branching thats going on, and that makes me happy. Why move upsize at this point, when it would seem the bags are having the greatest effect?

I want a super dense rootball, than can just explode when transplanted into larger bags. I definitely noticed a large increase in growth when I went from 1 gallon to 3 gallon bags, and I dont think I would have experienced it had I transplanted sooner. I let my plants stay in 1 gallon bags for 1 month to 1.5 months when vegging.

If you transplant early, those root tips now have to travel a greater distance to be root pruned, and the effect is diminished.

So you suggest I wait another couple weeks before going to my 3.4 air pots? I'm using air pots, not bags though. I do see some roots coming out the sides of the air pots but on these I have like 50 roots sticking out the bottom of the air pot.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
So you suggest I wait another couple weeks before going to my 3.4 air pots? I'm using air pots, not bags though. I do see some roots coming out the sides of the air pots but on these I have like 50 roots sticking out the bottom of the air pot.

First thing I would do with all those roots sticking out is to snip the tips with anything on hand. That will stimulate more lateral branching along the roots snipped.

I would stay in smaller bags for the time being. We want to maximize root pruning and lateral branching, and a small bag is the best option as the roots do not need to travel through as much soil to be pruned.

When you do transplant, Id give your plants 1-2.5 weeks in their new container before flowering though.

STRAINZ

Great thread, lots of useful info! I read through almost everything and recall several different links, but I'm pretty much exhausted now....Can anyone recommend a good site to buy the air pots for cheap? Thanx

S

Silky Johnson

Yeah Ive been looking for this thread! I'm just getting into Air Pots right now and completely changed they way I'm growing! I cant wait to see more post and thread on Air Pots! Thanks Thunder for starting this thread! About time!

barth

I run a 4 screen mod scrog. Anyone came up with a way to attach the screen to the fabric pots?