What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Advancing Eco Agriculture, Product Science

FatherEarth

Veteran
What about this for keeping that leaf surface microbial life jumping...

Bio-Plex
Classified under

Biological Products

Bio-Plex™ is a foliar fertiliser that produces a complex, multi-dimensional growth response. It includes finely tuned nitrogen-fixers, which utilise carbon exudates from the leaf to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere directly into the leaf and a range of microbes that release natural growth promotants such as gibberellic acid, cytokinins, auxins and indole-acetic acid. Nutri-Life Bio-Plex™ contains species that produce vitamins including the B group, vitamin E and vitamin C. It also contains a range of organisms that secrete a substance that can help maintain balance of beneficials on the leaf surface.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Silicon Amendments For enhancing disease resistance.

From the link above..
The purpose of this project was to address plant diseases in organic farming systems by targeting soil health as the fundamental principle towards achieving a healthy cucumber crop. The effect of Si [Ca2SiO4; wollastonite (Vansil W-50)] incorporation into soil at 200-600 kg Si/ ha on cucumber ‘Straight Eight’ diseases, fruit yield and quality, and Si content in root and above ground plant tissues was evaluated in multiple seasons at two organic field locations in north central Florida. Silicon application did not limit the incidence and severity of downy mildew, caused by the fungus-like pathogen Pseudoperonospora cubensis, melon worm and leaf miner, caused by Diaphania hyalinata and Lyriomyza sativae, respectively, or root knot nematode, caused by Meloidogyne spp. Yield and fruit quality were also not affected by Si soil amendment. Plant tissues tested from the field indicated no elevation in Si content in cucumber plants or cover crops (sorghum x sudangrass in spring and rye in winter) across all Si treatments and this may account for the lack of disease reduction observed. Other elements and micro-elements were also not impacted by Si amendments. The effect of amending soil with a high rate of Si (Vansil W-50, equivalent to 600 kg Si/ha) on anthracnose (Colletotrichum orbiculare) and Si uptake was also evaluated in multiple greenhouse experiments with 2-week-old ‘Straight Eight’ cucumber plants. Soil amendment with Si significantly reduced anthracnose severity in the leaves and increased Si uptake compared with the non-amended control. The results of this research indicate that Si may play a significant role in disease control of cucumber in a greenhouse setting where high pressure from multiple pathogens may be absent and arthropod pests and environmental factors can be better controlled. We established protocols for testing the role of plant-generated phytoalexins (low molecular weight antifungal compounds produced by plants) as a mechanism for disease resistance in cucumber. Implementation of the protocol was carried out on greenhouse-generated and plants inoculated with C. orbiculare. HPLC analyses of methanolic extracts of leaves showed that specific UV-positive peaks defined by their elution pattern induced following pathogen infection were also induced by silicon and plants exposed to a combination of silicon and the pathogen had the greatest levels of them.

milkyjoe

Veteran
I still find amorphous diatomaceous earth a good option. Either red lake earth from Tractor Supply or custom hydro has a new product without the ca bentonite.

milkyjoe

Veteran
If anyone does go see graeme sait...and the opportunity for questions is allowed. Could you ask him to expound on his use of ammonium phosphate/fulvic acid as a starter fert and how he knows it does not shut down myko. Like how much, how it is used. No doubt it would be a huge advantage in outdoor in the spring...but not if it fucks with myko.

I see AEA using some soluble stuff now also.

milkyjoe

Veteran

So a 400 mesh silica product. I did not read the msds but if you use it do pay attention to what dust mask they tell you to use...you do not want to breath that shit even a little bit. Unless I miss my guess this is the needle structure that is so effective at clogging lungs...silicosis is real. Also asbestos has a very similar needle structure.

My guess is 400 mesh is required to make it plant available. You are talking finer than flour, float in the air for a good while fine

FatherEarth

Veteran
Protect your health!

Protect your health!

Agreed. silicates in the lungs are No bueno and are known to cause cancer.
I wear an organic vapor respirator when I foliar,mix soil or top dress anything.
One of the more dangerous aspects of farming, especially if you apply foliars regularly... protecting your lungs and your the skin from fertilizers, pesticides, mold is paramount!

We should discuss proper use of Personal Protective Equipment ...

FE

milkyjoe

Veteran
protozoa tea

protozoa tea

So get you some fresh organic alfalfa straw and chuck a couple big handfuls in a 30 gal trash can. Add water and a splash of pepzyme and let it sit a day and then strain the straw off. Now let it sort of ferment another day in the shade.

This shit will be loaded with protozoa. If you have a good amount of bacteria these will cycle nitrogen. And that n will be organic vs nitrate saving your plant a shit load of energy creating protein.

Pepzyme is my favorite tool period. It builds life...and life begets life

FatherEarth

Veteran
I wish there was an option to download whole threads from the forum. That would be nice to be able to archive for notes and offline reading...

FE

FatherEarth

Veteran
MJ,

Im curious as to how you know that the pepzyme is working?

Are you examining under a microscope or having it tested?

milkyjoe

Veteran
If you make get that microscope out...its pretry cool.

So rejuvenate to jack up bacteria...then prorozoa to cycle the N. Then associative diazotropes to create the N from the atmosphere. Just gotta learn to create them

milkyjoe

Veteran
MJ,

Im curious as to how you know that the pepzyme is working?

Are you examining under a microscope or having it tested?

Microscope. But learn to make kombucha...you will learn when it is done. Once you know that add pepzyme and watch whar happens. Talk to tainio before you drink it...but to use in soil well 24 hrs to make a batch. That is the easiest way to see what pepzyme does.

When it comes to microbes I am all in with tainio

Check out microbeman's site to recognize protozoa with the scope. The alfalfa idea came from sait...we just tried it and then added pepzyme

FatherEarth

Veteran
Yea I'm familiar with protozoa ID. microbemans site is good and I have a list of others to help as well.. Thanks for sharing, I like the alfalfa tea idea. I'll def make some microscope vids to share the fun.

Respect,

FE

C

Cep

I know it's not aea but I've been using this for the past 6-7 weeks and it seems to work similarly to KSil, at least physiologically (really sturdy tissue, abrasive stems to the touch).

http://www.lovelandproducts.com/product/signature-sst-8-calcium

I'll still use KSil this year because I'm playing around with low K saturation. In the past I've been a lot more happy when I've had to correct a K deficiency than if I had an excess. K deficient plants almost never lose any significant weight to mold and it seems to be one of the easiest elements to correct.

I'll report here or somewhere relevent how the low K soils do against the 5/6% stuff. I already know what happens when K saturation gets in the 10% range --> low Ca in the tissue analysis.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Exactly what I shhot for. Low K that I can then foliar ksil with.

In fact I got K too low indo. Not exactly economical but I am going to amend with ksil.

I figure if K is low it increases ca and mg uptake...so less foliar ca and mg and a little ksil

That is the easy part N management is what separates growers

C

Cep

Milky, do you see use any other indications besides fading leaf margins to id K deficiency? Seems like there is just an overall lighter color to some of my foliage. I'm really glad I can use all that AgSil that sat idle last year.

Getting the N situation just right is difficult; I'm not there yet. My outdoor soil is in the 20-50ppm range and I'm thinking of using N-pHuric through the drip coupled with photomag foliar. Decomposing bicarb and adding a little N&S in one swoop.

Silver, the calcium silicate comes from CPS. You should have a branch somewhere near you.