What's new

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

Bwanabud

Thanks... I like it... May cancel my cone bottom from usplastics..

No problem, I drop 3 pumps into each of mine through the top lid.

1)Danner 250 gph circulating pump(just stirs the tank on a timer for 3 minutes an hour).

2)Danner 1500 gph feed pump(8' rise and T's then feeds all of the plants in a loop)

3)Wayne 1/2 HP 2600 gph submersible transfer pump(manual switch for speed mixing nutes in fresh water)

Aspenou812

Veteran
I have canceled my order and ordered a Peabody Prochem
AwesomeSauce I use a single pump with a mixing foot.. On a valve... Basicly I come off the pump go to a T then a valve off that line feeds off the side I come out to a valve and I drill a small hole on either side for a syphon break that blows downward oxiganating the tank then into a 90 and back down to the pump... On that downward side I drill 5 holes at slightly different angles and add a cap... then when on it spins the Rez mixing it harder than I could and oxiganating too... Sounds complicated... But its like 10 or 12 prices of 1 inch pvc and a little thought... Works great and less to clean and sanatise... Want a pict or two?

Aspenou812

Veteran
My Rez has a single pump that fuctions like all 3 of yours... Its a single pump with a PVC mixing Foot... Go vertical off the pump to a T about an inch above water level full... Vertically off the t add a valve a 90 and a hose connector... That is the feed line...Off the side add a valve with small 1/8 inch holes drilled on either side of the ball valve... That is the syphon break... Then add a 90 going back into the Res a section of pvc and a cap at the end... That is the mixing foot... Sit the pump in the Res and mark holes so they fire off the sides of the tank I use 6 1/4 holes... They spin the tank harder than I could with a drill... Sounds complicated but its like 12 peices of pvc... Its less to clean too... I rebuild it every 6 months or so to keep it clean... Like 30 bucks and 30 minutes

Bwanabud

I use an electronic solenoid valve on my feed line, that the timer kicks my pump on and solenoid open at the same time...when the timer stops feed cycle, the valve closes (normally closed), this stops the siphon action that drains the rez.

We all skin the cat differently :)

Aspenou812

Veteran
I use an electronic solenoid valve on my feed line, that the timer kicks my pump on and solenoid open at the same time...when the timer stops feed cycle, the valve closes (normally closed), this stops the siphon action that drains the rez.

We all skin the cat differently :)

DOPE.... AF.... Lol I need to totally automate my feeds...like to mix by Hand...

Bwanabud

DOPE.... AF.... Lol I need to totally automate my feeds...like to mix by Hand...

I'm totally automated, from rezs to room environments...my tanks are too big to mix by hand, I used to use a canoe oar to stir the mix up when in 55 gallon units.

But the Wayne 2600 gph pump rips through the tank like a river lol

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
sooooo, yeah
just pulled some old coir out of the attic after 2 years
i rinsed it thru a screen and picked out the hydroton
i rinsed out all the stuff i didnt the first time i used it
mustve lost 30% in fines and sand
its all nice and coarse now
its charging in a cooler with a .5 tablspoon each od epsom salts and gypsum per gallon of
sub
that was for 14 hrs , its in its second charge now with about 30 grams each of epsom and gypsum + some V+B powder @ idk 4grams a gal or - nothing too strong

not sure if epsom salts and gypsum will work
but i figure its worth a go
i am mixing in perlite at 33% for the final mix

i hope it works better than the first round through it

do you think i should just get a bottle of cali magik or this going to work like my
chemistry class in HS taught me - it will soak up all you give it till it hits equilibirium?
that was 30+ years ago , im still trying to understand the cec and buffering stuff

do you recomend octobubblers or floraflex manifolds?
im leaning towards an oring floraflex dripper and using the ops top layer hydroton
with the ring over that?
any one used those?

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
@Boydcrowder....its cheap, flexible and easy to assemble....its 1/2inch pvc, top hat grommets and 1/4 inch line....add a eco plus 633 and a small pump to stir the res and you are good to go.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
hey jim- thanks for the pics! i was leanning lazy and getting some octobubblers going down center of 2 4x4 trays
maybe a 1/2 horse with 5-6 heads going into some cheap rings from floraflex 12pc for what 15$ and no 4 hr sesion building driprings
ill get a sock and a post pump sediment filter as well
i gots like 10#s of veg+bloom ro from a friend so its slighlty chunky but i havent decided if i wanna run it in a pump - might just do a h3ads run for a dripper setup or some liquid food got a while to decide and if i cant dial in the veg using this v+b im just gonna give it to aspen or bugs or someone who knows how to use it

thanks so much for the input caljim

tophats are on amazon and ebay bro - they arent local unless you do the hydro$tore (ours are closed)

should i do a growshow on ic? havent done one in a cpl years..? anyone wanna see me go coocoo for cocopuffs?

caljim

Veteran
yeah, i'm a diy'er...i do use some of the flora flex pot toppers and the little clip thing to hold the line to them. easy to use and simple to clean.....the distribution system is easy to make and change up to suit each run.

Whatever works for you...know what I'm sayin'?

I never got the v and b dialed in and did not care for the one feed fits all approach.

Jacks hydro/calnit...Calcium EDTA , epsom salt and mono potassium phosphate.....FTW....super flexible to fit any need.

Did i mention that the whole shopping list is dirt cheap, actually cheaper than good dirt.

Last edited:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
hey jim why not give me your schedule and ill try it cause i dont really like v+b much in veg
also - i need to figure out where to start a fishticks bunnyranch bugs type long form thread
any idea here?

caljim

Veteran
This is what works for me.

I make two stock solutions. One for veg....one for flower.

Into a 5 gallon a bucket.....

For veg...100 grams of 5-12-26 and 84 grams calnit. Dissolve the jacks before adding the cal nit and dilute as needed to your desired ppm...veg gets about 650ppm on top of my 150 ppm tap water.

For flower.....100 grams of 5-12-26 and 63 grams of calnit.....dilute to hit your desired ppm. after the stretch the cal nit gets trimmed back more...just enough to keep them green...going down to about 50 grams calnit by week 6/7.

Each one of those stock solutions will make about 40 gallons of feed, a little less for flower.

Thats the basics and that alone works just fine.

I do add some calcium EDTA, i dont know the weight...a scoop full, and a pinch of epsom salt to every ten gallons of feed forflower.

A quick blast of monopotassium phosphate is added for a few feeds as they set flower...between days 14 and 21 of 12/12.

Lots of ways to skin a cat....some are just cheaper.

akabud

Hi all,
This thread is awesome.
I am going for a DTW grow and wondered where in the UK I could get the timer I needed? All other equipment is in place.
Many thanks

FatRoySlim

You need a standard digital timer and search for an imperium timer, it’s around £55. This lets you feed multiples times for short bursts, works a treat!