What's new

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do the manifold with 1/2” poly (not pvc).. just cause it’s easier to work with..
and miraculous meds is right about the need for an anti siphon valve.. (I just use a 1/4” barb just inside the Rez) u’ll want that or u’ll drain ur entire Rez the first time ur pump shuts off.

I also quit using drip emitters ( no need for them and they only clog ). I just run 1/4” open ended lines (or I’ll throw a 1/4” ball valve on the end if I need to adjust flow a bit..

I agree ! :tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

I'm doing something a little different in flower though , & it seems to be working fine , no clogs so far . i use 6 port air line manifolds with a shutoff on each line from the manifold . so far so good !

picture.php

picture.php

I do the manifold with 1/2” poly (not pvc).. just cause it’s easier to work with..
and miraculous meds is right about the need for an anti siphon valve.. (I just use a 1/4” barb just inside the Rez) u’ll want that or u’ll drain ur entire Rez the first time ur pump shuts off.
Any pics of this valve?

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dan,

What do you have connecting the big res to the one under that table?

not sure what you mean by having connected to it .

its a 40 gallon rez with a 396gph pump feeding both trays & a shutoff valve for each tray . i fill it from a 55 gallon barrel in the room right next to it . i have a pump on a switch & a long hose to fill the 3 rezs in that room .
the blue 55 has an RO line & a float valve to refill it , & i just top it off with nutes to refill the 40 gallon rez's .

picture.php

I have the same set up for my mom trays also , the only difference being smaller trays & more pots . i use 5" squares for my moms & keep them trimmed back untill i need one .

picture.php

N

noyd666

have no idea mate, make them ourselves easy. hose, barb n tap.all parts were from hydro shop.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dan,

Are you running 1/2" tubing all the way until the 6 prong air valve which reduces to 1/4"?

yup :tiphat: i just put a 1/2" shutoff valve at each tray so i can either shut that tray off or restrict the flow to that tray . but each air valve has shutoffs too for each pot , to shut off lines not being used or restrict the flow to each pot .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
all i use as a siphon is a short piece of quarter inch line with a tap into the 1/2" line . just gotta make sure its above the water line of your rez .

picture.php

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
My newest dtw system I am giving a run. No tables for this room.
This pic was before the Octobubblers were installed. The black tubing is the drain line.

Miraculous Meds

My newest dtw system I am giving a run. No tables for this room.
This pic was before the Octobubblers were installed. The black tubing is the drain line.
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48601&pictureid=1834171" target="_blank">View Image

Nice, I do something like that with 3.5 gal buckets as a base. They sit 10.5" high, How tall are your buckets with plants in them?

How do you like the octobubblers. Im still just using barbed connectors and 1/4" line. I guess the octobubbler would replace my loop manifold correct? Probably great for long runs like yours.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Nice, I do something like that with 3.5 gal buckets as a base. They sit 10.5" high, How tall are your buckets with plants in them?

How do you like the octobubblers. Im still just using barbed connectors and 1/4" line. I guess the octobubbler would replace my loop manifold correct? Probably great for long runs like yours.
Although they claim to be pressure compensating That doesn't seem to be the case, some have a stream and some drip.
Could be that I don't have the proper pressure? Not sure how I would measure that yet.

Hookah79

When using any of the Grundfos MQ-45 3/4 hp pumps.If your irrigation is zoned with solenoids and using octabubblers,is an accumulator needed??

With my current set up i have an aquatec 6 gpm pump that i needed an accumulator to get it to cycle on and off...

Iam not seeing anyone using those Grundfos running a pressure tank so iam assuming its running proper.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When using any of the Grundfos MQ-45 3/4 hp pumps.If your irrigation is zoned with solenoids and using octabubblers,is an accumulator needed??

With my current set up i have an aquatec 6 gpm pump that i needed an accumulator to get it to cycle on and off...

Iam not seeing anyone using those Grundfos running a pressure tank so iam assuming its running proper.

No need, the Grundfos MQ-45 is self pressurizing and will maintain the pressure. Its the pump I use in my rooms. Its a breeze to set up, very easy to service, and its a work horse. Probably the best pump until you step up into commercial, its plug and play. Well worth the price. I recommend to go to your local hydrostore on black friday in November if they sell them. I got almost 300$ off the price for mines.

No pressure tank needed, again, the pump builds up pressure automatically, and maintains consistent pressure throughout the system. And by zoning you can water a lot of fucking garden with just one pump. I recommend getting a controller with at least 8 cycles per day and doing shorter but more consistent watering (well depending on your medium and container size, i rock 2 gallon smart pots, pure coco).

FYI if your tank runs too low and the pump can't pull anymore, it'll automatically shut off, but first it tries to reestablish pressure a few times, and the unit gets HOT, and if you need to water FAST, you need to circulate the water to get the hot water out of the pump, and lower the pumps temperature. Its made for a variety of uses and its used for hot water showers, so the heat isn't an issue, expect for your ladies.

Oh and don't forget the filters, before and after. :wave: