What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

3-in-1 Dimming including On/Off function for meanwell drivers

iBogart

Veteran
There is no controller for COB led's which is why I created the GrowGreen LED Controller. I tried a Typhon controller and it could not dim and control on/off function. you have to choose. I hate making those kinds of choices. The only Controller i know that will both dim and control power is the GrowGreen so far. Wish I could help you. you can build a DIY version I well documented that for anyone with any basic electronics skills like soldering and such. The parts list is complete and I know a couple folks that have built them and they reported back to me, thanks. peace.

I found this:

http://www.rapidled.com/coralux-storm-led-controller-with-10v-analog-converter/

It says it's compatible with all 0-10v analog dimmable drivers like the Meanwell HLG series (B Type only?). Way more functions then I would use. A bit on the pricey side a $90. Would this work with cxb3590s at 36v?

Last edited:
I found this:

http://www.rapidled.com/coralux-storm-led-controller-with-10v-analog-converter/

It says it's compatible with all 0-10v analog dimmable drivers like the Meanwell HLG series (B Type only?). Way more functions then I would use. A bit on the pricey side a $90. Would this work with cxb3590s at 36v?

Yes it will work, but it will only dim your lights. That is an expensive dimmer switch. It can not control your lights on/off cycle which is more important than dimming to me. It has 4 channels only.

A dimmer costs a couple bucks, timers are more expensive. I own a coralux controller and a stevesled controller too. Both let me down. That is why I designed my own to do both dim lights and turn them on/off. I prefer on/off more important than dimming.

Coralux only allows one start/stop time for 6 channels, and Typhoon allows for independent start/stop times but only 4 channel's. Both do not work for me. I need 8 channels and independent controls and the ability to both dim and turn on/off the same fixture with regularity and reliability. peace

iBogart

Veteran
Yes it will work, but it will only dim your lights. That is an expensive dimmer switch. It can not control your lights on/off cycle which is more important than dimming to me. It has 4 channels only.

A dimmer costs a couple bucks, timers are more expensive. I own a coralux controller and a stevesled controller too. Both let me down. That is why I designed my own to do both dim lights and turn them on/off. I prefer on/off more important than dimming.

Coralux only allows one start/stop time for 6 channels, and Typhoon allows for independent start/stop times but only 4 channel's. Both do not work for me. I need 8 channels and independent controls and the ability to both dim and turn on/off the same fixture with regularity and reliability. peace

The storm controller says it has a manual sunrise/set timer. So I think you have complete control over on/off cycles and the ability to program adjust how bright you want your lights to be throughout the day cycle with 256 dimming levels. This particular storm controller has only 4 0-10v dimming channels vs. 6, and 2 5v PWM channels. Something to do with 0-10v analog dimming drivers like the HLG B series drivers. Does that mean I could operate 4 drivers independently, or 4 led modules independently? 4 separate drivers would be awesome.

jikko77

meanwell drivers need a relay to get the power off function. period. it's reported on the spec they have published.
whatever variable resistor (pot 100k) or whatever controller that can manage 1-10vdc or 10v pwm are just fine.
0-10v, intended as power off at 0%, are achived with a relay.

※Built-in 3 in 1 dimming function, IP67 rated. Output constant current level can be adjusted through output cable by connecting a resistance or
1 ~ 10Vdc or 10V PWM signal between DIM+ and DIM-.

Using a switch and relay can turn ON/OFF the lighting fixture.
1.Output constant current level can be adjusted through output cable by connecting a resistance or 1~10Vdc or 10V PWM signal between DIM+ and DIM-.
2.The LED lighting fixture can be turned ON/OFF by the switch.

by the way those spec are taken from the HLG-80H series datasheet.

yes, a different channel can independently drive a driver.

iBogart

Veteran
meanwell drivers need a relay to get the power off function. period. it's reported on the spec they have published.
whatever variable resistor (pot 100k) or whatever controller that can manage 1-10vdc or 10v pwm are just fine.

※Built-in 3 in 1 dimming function, IP67 rated. Output constant current level can be adjusted through output cable by connecting a resistance or

1.Output constant current level can be adjusted through output cable by connecting a resistance or 1~10Vdc or 10V PWM signal between DIM+ and DIM-.

Cool man. Thanks for some clarification. So just to be clear, two separate devices, a switch and a relay, in addition to the controller, to effectively turn off/on the leds as well as provide dimming? Any suggestions on switches and relays to use with this type of setup with a controller like the coralux storm?

Dion

not to disagree my pasta loving friend, but led drivers need to be turned off on the ac side, having drivers plugged in and not powering led causes them to(dunno about meanwel specifically but in general) make whining noises, over heat and the worst part shoot out extremely high current when you reconnect the series of LEDs

best to have an on off switch on the AC side, ad the switch on the DC side go down to 10% min

EDIT: ok i think we are actually saying the same thing, sorry bout that didn't mean to me a 'know it all' because i surely don't, just don't want anyone to do anything to hurt those pretty cobs

jikko77

i guess we are indeed: A relay is an electrically operated switch (wikipedia).
i had to lern what it was as well ;)

check the diagram on your thread, or the one Avid has published some page ago (they are the same), the relay cut the AC/L from the driver. when we move the "pot" out of "0" it give the "on" to the relay, at the same time it turn on the driver by openining the switch on the AC/L, while the pot is on "0" the AC/L switch is closed.

with open i mean the current flow, while by close i mean that the current doesn't flow.

The storm controller says it has a manual sunrise/set timer. So I think you have complete control over on/off cycles and the ability to program adjust how bright you want your lights to be throughout the day cycle with 256 dimming levels. This particular storm controller has only 4 0-10v dimming channels vs. 6, and 2 5v PWM channels. Something to do with 0-10v analog dimming drivers like the HLG B series drivers. Does that mean I could operate 4 drivers independently, or 4 led modules independently? 4 separate drivers would be awesome.

With the Storm controller, you have to buy the 10v pwm version and you can then control four channels for dimming, but you will not be able to turn them on or off, just dim them to 10% to 100%. You can not operate LDD drivers and HLG drivers simultaneously tho. peace
Avid

Cool man. Thanks for some clarification. So just to be clear, two separate devices, a switch and a relay, in addition to the controller, to effectively turn off/on the leds as well as provide dimming? Any suggestions on switches and relays to use with this type of setup with a controller like the coralux storm?

You need 5v pwm signal to a opti-isolated relay that controls the AC side, and you need a 10v pwm signal to dim HLG style MW drivers. The relay requires a 5v power source so as to not draw power from the controller. The 5v relay will turn on/off driver, and 10v signal will dim driver. peace
Avid

i guess we are indeed: A relay is an electrically operated switch (wikipedia).
i had to lern what it was as well ;)

check the diagram on your thread, or the one Avid has published some page ago (they are the same), the relay cut the AC/L from the driver. when we move the "pot" out of "0" it give the "on" to the relay, at the same time it turn on the driver by openining the switch on the AC/L, while the pot is on "0" the AC/L switch is closed.

with open i mean the current flow, while by close i mean that the current doesn't flow.

you need one of these with a 5v ac/dc power supply ->https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13815 or s similar product. I listed a few on the first page I think. peace
Avid

Dion

you need one of these with a 5v ac/dc power supply ->https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13815 or s similar product. I listed a few on the first page I think. peace
Avid

man half the stuff on that site looks way cool!

one day I'm going to learn how to do some more smart electronics

I don't even know what half the stuff i would like to have in my grow room is called... some nights i dream about all kinds of automated environmental control gadgets but have no idea where to start, probably like i did when learning about led....a few months of reading and then a lot of money hahaha

iBogart

Veteran
You need 5v pwm signal to a opti-isolated relay that controls the AC side, and you need a 10v pwm signal to dim HLG style MW drivers. The relay requires a 5v power source so as to not draw power from the controller. The 5v relay will turn on/off driver, and 10v signal will dim driver. peace
Avid

Perfect. Thanks a bunch man. You've been a great help.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Once the microcontroller controlled touchscreens will be cheaper, this can get really cool. you could do it even now, for cheap, but you would need a mega board, cause just the display is way too much for the uno, both as computing power and I/O ports it needs.
Congrats on the work and the fact that you share it to help others.

jikko77

with an i2c controller the display pin can be reduced to 4.
and with a second one you can increase the number of peripheral device connected.
i can't remeber, didn't Avid used one as well for the lcd?

with an i2c controller the display pin can be reduced to 4.
and with a second one you can increase the number of peripheral device connected.
i can't remeber, didn't Avid used one as well for the lcd?

yes I did. you can make a header for i2c and oplug those two pins into SCL and SDA and they can all share the same two pins. peace
Avid

A little update for folks.
First we have an arduino based industrial PLC applications using relays, and pwm drivers we have been looking at here. It is 45 minuters long, but you can fast forward to the parts you find interesting. https://youtu.be/GpiHQZAF4n0
Second. PWM dimming for HLG drivers. Thee is a non-DIY solution for you folks out there, that are interested. here is a the simplest and cheapest solution per channel available on ebay here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262623559315?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT This board will convert your 5vdc pwm signal to a 10vdc pwm signal. enjoy. peace
Avid

Once the microcontroller controlled touchscreens will be cheaper, this can get really cool. you could do it even now, for cheap, but you would need a mega board, cause just the display is way too much for the uno, both as computing power and I/O ports it needs.
Congrats on the work and the fact that you share it to help others.

thanks. I want to see the community grow and improve with technology. I have developed an eight channel model that is for sale but I do not want to advertise. GrowGreen LED Controller that will control; eight 200w fixtures including on/off on schedule and and dimming of both LDD and HLG drivers, just like the DIY model only in a nice case that looks like this https://youtu.be/Z13I-8luTy0
peace
Avid

Latest posts

Latest posts