What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

20k Back in Coco - 6kw BOSS Blocks!

memetic

^^ yup, gotta agree homie! those really look great and i've asked my hydrostore to get them big boss blocks in.... save me hella bother fillin in pots!:yes: the girls really are diggin their enviornment by the looks of things keep up the good work homie.

G

gdawg

hey 20k ya lookin killa man. i like how you got your duct work insulated, got me thinkin my buddy does that spray foam insulation, might get him to spray the top of my hoods. i shot em with the laser temp gauge last night and they ranged 85.6 to 93. the 93 being a cheaper reflector. my room stays cools enough just tryin to work the ac less. those blocks look like the way to go for coco, wonder if 2 crops are possible with them. i currently am reusing some coco side by side with some new, didn't want to, so far no problems @ 18 days on 12/12 i got my fingers crossed. anyways loving your updates and thread.

20kw dreams

Guinea - the verdict is **** that shit. I've heard from 4 people now it doesn't do anything accept make your plants LOOK like they are going to grow faster, then after using it a couple weeks side by side it doesn't actually do anything. So, I'm not going to do anything with Liquid Light from this point on. 60ml/gal is ridiculous anyways, from the looks of it, the penetrator doesn't act as a better surfactant then Dr Bronners, so why should I pay @20 for a little bottle with 60ml/gal application rate when I can go with a soap at 5ml/gal that's 1/4 of the price? I do have some Penatrator left though, so maybe I'll do a side by side with that and the soap.

My regular foliar is Floralicious with Purple Maxx and maybe the occasional Humic or Fuivlic acid and maybe some added Kelp. That has worked wonders for years now, so I'll just stic with it. Expansion finally looks like it's on the horizon, so it's no time to **** around.

Oh, and I used the LL with Max FX and Penetrator, which is the full line of foliars I got samples of.

Yes, Boss blocks are BOSS!

gdawg, I wouldn't spray your hoods with foam, well I wouldn't spray MINE with that shit. Unless you could still clean them.

Keep me informed on how good the re-use goes. I know reusing the ready-gro didn't help them do all that good on the last run when I tried. Maybe it's better with straight coco. I couldn't do it anyways, cause I need to start the next crop before this one is finished.

redwood-roots

Thanks for the verdict on the LL...you summed up what I've been hearing/seeing as well...good to hear it one more time..so that's that ..case closed.

G

gdawg

hey 20k. i can already tell my plants that are in the straight new coco are doin better, but i can't remember if i put my best best clones in the new stuff. the other ones had perlite in em so its easy to tell which. i'm not gonna do it again, i just had to before, the nearest shop is 3 hours away. the foam i'm talkin about is the foam that is sprayed at like 180F. and then dries to a pretty slick surface. its the best insulation you can get in a house, just expensive as hell, i used to apply it but it was a BITCH. have to wear full suit, air line all that shit. i might try just my shitty wgc. hood, anything would help that piece of junk. anyway i thinkin goin to home depot to get some insulation for my duct.... i'm justa big ol copycat hehe.. peace

G

gdawg

finally got some pics uploaded. i just put that 4oomh in the middle, they seem to like it. it only burns 11hrs so i can do my spraying if needed the 1st hour. peace. please post some more pics!!

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I'm so glad you do all these experiments 20k, it's saved me untold cash on different products! :yes:

G

gdawg

are u using co2? i read how you got your fans pulling with the ozone generator and i like the sound of that. but how could i run co2 with that setup?

T

terran2

gdawg said:
hey 20k. i can already tell my plants that are in the straight new coco are doin better, but i can't remember if i put my best best clones in the new stuff. the other ones had perlite in em so its easy to tell which.

These Boss Blocks look great , just have to see how available they are in the area . New to Coco switching over from r/w & have heard that Canna makes the far superior coco but limits the distributorships, contracting to only a select number of stores in a state /area . So have been using B'Cuzz brand for it seems the cleanest/purest . ..but heard Canna makes the best .

Perlite or not to add perlite ....so straight coco it seems superior to a mix of the two ? Maybe finer contact with the feeder root hairs and nuite exchange ? Coco/Perlite would need more irrigation but thats what i decided to go with my first time =40/60% .

Reading Gaius Marius opinions over on his slab grow forum he indicated Coco could be reused up to 3 times . Have been wondering if anyone has experience with rinsing and using coco over again. Have rinsed some leftover out in 55gals after sifting thru milk crate and seemed to retain all its "loft" and r/o came down pretty well after sterilizing with some H202.

Bottom line i'm now a believer and completely sold on Coco for now....cause
its all in da roots mon.... and they love coco . :redface:

(now who's got the cheap and as effective equivilent to Hygrozme , not paying that price <gg)

Last edited:

HAPPYTREE

I do have some Penatrator left though, so maybe I'll do a side by side with that and the soap.

That would be great as i am just getting in on this foliar thing.
Your grow looks great 20k .I Should have thought of the boss blocks b4 i bought my pots. DOH

Are you doing run to waste and if so whats the run time on the drip and what % run off(sorry if u said and i missed this). Im gonna start a coco show here shortly and have a few unanswered questions.
Keep up the great work

HT

BlindDate

Veteran
Have been wondering if anyone has experience with rinsing and using coco over again.

I reuse COCO 3 or 4 times before tossing it. Never saw a difference between the first use and the last. I grow in 5 gallon buckets that become so full of roots that it's just one solid mass. I take a keyhole saw, plunge it into the bucket and cut the old stump out. I'll then plant the new clone directly into the hole. I have no idea where all those roots are going, but the plants grow like mad.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
BlindDate said:
I reuse COCO 3 or 4 times before tossing it. Never saw a difference between the first use and the last. I grow in 5 gallon buckets that become so full of roots that it's just one solid mass. I take a keyhole saw, plunge it into the bucket and cut the old stump out. I'll then plant the new clone directly into the hole. I have no idea where all those roots are going, but the plants grow like mad.

That's some good info! Thanks!

20kw dreams

@ GDawg - Nice room bud. Not copying, just learned yourself somedin new, you know? ****, most of what I do I learned from other people.

@ Nite - lol..No problem bud, it's really more of an addiction then anything. I just can't help myself. It keeps things interesting though. Otherwise, I start getting bored. If I ever have buko bucks to set something large up, and have unlimited funds, then I would def set up different grow booths for actual experiments and what not.

@ gdawg again - Some changes need to be made to run CO2, most of which the room is set up for. Both sides of the lights, the 4kw and the 2kw, can be ducted so they are independent of the room air. Then I have to put another fan in the room which is hooked up to a timer and a kill switch for the CO2 tank and controller. I've4 already got all this stuff ina box, I just have to go fill up the tank hook everything up.

Happytree - That one is def on. Uhhh....my system is actually recirculating, but I've been hand-watering because I took all my lines out to bleach them. I actually just put most of them back in last night. I hand water some of the additives that are kind of expensive, like beneficial innoculants, Voodoo Juice, Gnatrol, Bushmaster, etc. When I do that, the runoff goes into an empty rez, then I pump that out to my toilet. Hopefully I'll get it hooked up soon to let me pump that stuff into the yard so I'm not wasting all that fertilizer.

Shoot over any Q's you got bud, I'll answer them best I know how:D

@ Terran - Hygrozyme? No prob, get Cannazyme. Cheaper, lower dosage, and I've had better results with it. I tried 3 enzymes when I had a little DWC setup a few years back, and Cannazyme rocked while Hygrozyme and Sensizyme both didn't do shit.

I would actually mix coco and perlite, or buy Ready-gro !!IF!! I wanted to fill up pots, which I don't, so I'll use BOSS blocks or slabs.

@ BlindDate - That is the FIRST time I have heard of someone ACTUALLY reusing it, so a VERY BIG THANK YOU. All I've really heard is people quoting Canna's advertisements saying it CAN be reused. I don't think Gaius actually reuses it, does he? Have you ever had a bad experience? What process do you use as far as enzymes?

My only prob now would be that I have the next crop going while the last crop is finishing.

K+ all around! I hardly ever give out K just cause I forget, but ya'll deserve it.

This thread has a really positive vibe to it. Lots of interesting input and questions :headbanger:

meduser180056

Gaius says he reuses his coco 3-4 times in his sticky thread. He uses str8 coco though. Others that use a coco/perlite mix seem to have trouble reusing the medium.

So you bleached your lines to clean em? Could you explain how you clean your lines. I'd like to do the same. I hear H&G have something you can run through the lines to clean em?

Yah I'm all about not having to fill up pots full of medium too. I got so burnt on that after growing in soil for 2 years. Filling up 50 3 gallon pots with the correct mixture is a PITA. Loved the slabs for the ease of planting.

The boss blocks looks nice and I'm thinking about trying em even though the readygro slabs rocked for me. That's cuz I noticed with the slabs having 4 plants per slab that some of the plants would kind of take over the slab and I think it limits root space for the other plants on the slab when 1 or 2 are really vigorous. If I used boss blocks each plant has it's own medium. For example I had 4 plants on a slab and one was a slow growing PK. The other 3 plants on the slab were Ody very vigorous. By the 2 week of flower the PK was dead it's roots got completely choked out by the other 3 plants on the slab.

Only drawbacks to Boss blocks is they are a lil pricier than readygro slabs and they are str8 coco not a coco/perlite mix. I'm sure them being str8 coco isn't bad I"m just used to that coco/perlite mix and I'm scared to leave it cuz it did so well for me.

My ody table that I took down at 7 weeks gave me 22 ounces! I'm stoked this is my first time with this system and my best yield yet. I was never able to pull over a pound per light with my soil setup. Not saying you can't do it with soil, but it wasn't working for me. Got 2 more tables of HKxSK and some more Ody that I"m letting go 8 weeks. Those tables are looking like 1.5 pounds a piece. I think I could improve the yield by topping.

Anyhow fun thread keep it going.

G

gdawg

:wave: 20k thanks for the compliment. and redwood roots :laughing: its folks like you that i can turn to for new ideas and goals to shoot for. its been almost a year since i changed to coco from soil and i've never looked back. when i wasn't sure bout somethin i would always turn to that bonecarver fellas' thread. your rooms and setups though gimme inspiration they're so clean and efficient. :headbange i think the boss blocks are gonna be my next step. i'm moving and doin a totally new and bigger setup after this run i got about 6 more weeks to plan it out. now this NF cat got me thinkin bout stadium grows, flipfloppin,..... thanx

SuperBudz

Smoke Two Joints In The Morning!
ICMag Donor
very nice grow, looks like all your effort put into this really pays off, that looks like some dank ass buds, Handsdown for sucha fine room. Take care, stay safe bro.

Latest posts

Latest posts