What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

20k Back in Coco - 6kw BOSS Blocks!

T

terran2

20kw dreams said:
I think the Root Rot thing had to do more then anything with not rooting out the cuttings good enough in the blocks before putting them into the system, then they just stayed too wet because I was trying to make sure the ready-gro was wet enough. That, or I just put them under the 1000's too soon, and really the root rot problem was due to the plants just getting stunted by too much light all at once...something. I know I was getting impatient, rushed, stressed out, and making poor decisions because of it.

So, I'm just going to make sure my 3" blocks are rooted out much better. They took perfect this time around in the coco. I had them vegging for a little over a week in under the flouro's, then moved them to the big blocks for another week all packed in together onto 2 tables, with the lights up as high as I could get them. Other then getting a slight Mg def right off the bat, they took great. After a foliar of CuttingEdge's "Mag-Amped" and some floralicious plus, they just took off. After a couple days into flower spread out 9 to a table, they are showing only signs of love and affection towards their 1000 watt partners.:smile:

Nuff bout me though, what's goin on in your neck of the woods? Got any pics up?

Ya , i had the same dam problem recently with newest round of babies using the SR 4x4 cuts plugging them all flush with the soil line & 6x6's and having many of them dampen off . Totally frustrating when i had vegged the HK's earlier and had thought them vigorous enough but think the problem lay in not exposing the plug 2" above the soil line and watering in & around it . The cutting plug stayed far too wet initially and being 4" deep in the medium the roots were in the lower wet zone too . Making sure to plant them only 2" down into the medium (1gal pots=coco) and praying this time they root in well holding back the 2nd water for 2 days or so .

Really was confidence shaking to have this happen , but had worked with very vigorous rooters before monocropping with matanuska too which rooted like crazy . The HK is a little more fragile initially i'm finding . ....next few days will tell the tale .

* Was also thinking of doing a little 50/50 coco to planting mix that has coco spagnum wormcastings ...introducing a little spagnum into the mix for more even water distribution noticing how coco does wick down and pool up in the bottom layers pretty fast ...and some rox in the bottoms of pots for air. Thinking as well to maybe introduce more gentle florescent veg for the first week b4 going under HPS's and really get those roots going . Neptune suggesting about 500ppms of FN grow to start them off plus a little fulvic & B1.

wish me luck ;o)

Last edited:

20kw dreams

Here's another on for you CQ That's the herb hang drying right now

@Tyter - It most definately can. Another good thing about them is they have a pure biologically chelated Calcium, Plant-amp, and straight biologically chelated Magnesiumm "Mag-amped". They are the makers of alot of nice beneficials too, iincluding Patrol, Hum-tea, T-harz..and some other one. Nice complete, but simple line for sure. Nothing straight for coco though, but if I ended up going with their line, I would just add both the "amp" products.

Sup Tiger - Looks like the old faithfuls are coming out. I think I'll be keeping up for this grow. What do you got going on?

@Terran2 - I feel you bro. You know, you don't even need to bury the rockwool cubes. Commercial growers just set them on top. The roots grow out the bottom no problem, and the blocks get more air to them. I think if you just have near the same distribution of water and air capacity in your media, like RW and coco pretty much do (compared to perlite/coco and RW) then you won't have to be as careful as if you plated rockwool into say hydroton. I know what you mean about shaking the confidence too. Depressing is the word I would use....or drunk alot..lol...Mixes are def nice, but I hate thsat kind of work. If I can buy my coco in pre-filled bags or whatever, then I'm sold. That's why I like the slabs or non-media systems like NFT or Aero. It's all about saving time. Liek they say, time=money, and with expansion, I would have to hire employees. I would rather put money into automation and solve logistical challenges then have to hire my lazy ass friends:smile: And one more thing: **** FN. I don't trust that shit. I've seen too many people have probs with that shit, and had some questionable experiences myself. Go with a 2 part. Fulvic is good. I've seen research that shows B-1 to be a bunch of BS for rooting, but it does help reduce stress. I would say the number one thing you could do for your roots is invest in some Trichoderma Harzianum, which is in "T-harz", "Rootshield", and "Piranha". Canna makes a T-harzianum additive as well, but I don't think it's available in the US. That or some of that fresh compost tea. Beneficials for your roots anyways. Good lusk with everything though, and keep it posted. You got a link you can swing over?

All right, I'm out. Just dropped in to say hello. Things are going good, and filling in already. I'll take some pics in a couple days. I just gave them a pretty strong foliar, so hopefully that doesn't kill them. I'm building a new veg space and replumbing the drains so I can filter them tomorrow.

Peace out:wave:

C_Q

Dear lord our father in heaven, we approach you on this day to give thanks for those beautiful, shiny, trich'd out buds!!

I have a feeling im gonna learn something from this one =) keep up the dedication 20kw!

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
20kw dreams said:
Sup Tiger - Looks like the old faithfuls are coming out. I think I'll be keeping up for this grow. What do you got going on?

Not too much, just trying to find some moms and dial in to new plants and new room. Just started flowering, so nothing too fun right now, except a Mag Def :D

20kw dreams

C_Q said:
Dear lord our father in heaven, we approach you on this day to give thanks for those beautiful, shiny, trich'd out buds!!

I have a feeling im gonna learn something from this one =) keep up the dedication 20kw!

Well, that's the point...and boosting my ego:smile:

Yeah, what's up with Mag defs anyways? You would think these nutrient company's would just add a bit more Mg so we wouldn't have to deal with this shit.

S

suckerrepellent

...or they wouldn't add a little bit of mg so that you have to buy a bottle of their product :joint:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
20kw dreams said:
Yeah, what's up with Mag defs anyways? You would think these nutrient company's would just add a bit more Mg so we wouldn't have to deal with this shit.

No shit right? Crap drives me nuts!

guineapig

Veteran
So true about the Cal/Mg deficiencies.....i never had any luck with Botanicare's Cal Mag Plus product, so i switched to "Sanfaustino" bottled water (contains 10% Cal and 8% Mg) and the plants perked up.....i'm still searching for a better Ca/Mg product...

I'm pulling up a chair for this one 20kw :lurk:
I've been a big fan of yours since the old days......its good to see you and may many blessings be upon you and your gardens....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

20kw dreams

Bottled water? ****, I wish...lol... I could just picture the delivery guy luggin in big-ass cases of Sanfaustino...LMFAO...

I'll be switchin to Monkey Juice tomorrow, and I never had any defs with that.

Thanx for the kind energy guineapig. I'll definately pass it on to the ladies.

T

terran2

20kw dreams said:
@Terran2 - I feel you bro. You know, you don't even need to bury the rockwool cubes. Commercial growers just set them on top. The roots grow out the bottom no problem, and the blocks get more air to them. I think if you just have near the same distribution of water and air capacity in your media, like RW and coco pretty much do (compared to perlite/coco and RW) then you won't have to be as careful as if you plated rockwool into say hydroton. I know what you mean about shaking the confidence too. Depressing is the word I would use....or drunk alot..lol...Mixes are def nice, but I hate thsat kind of work. If I can buy my coco in pre-filled bags or whatever, then I'm sold. That's why I like the slabs or non-media systems like NFT or Aero. It's all about saving time. Liek they say, time=money, and with expansion, I would have to hire employees. I would rather put money into automation and solve logistical challenges then have to hire my lazy ass friends:smile: And one more thing: **** FN. I don't trust that shit. I've seen too many people have probs with that shit, and had some questionable experiences myself. Go with a 2 part. Fulvic is good. I've seen research that shows B-1 to be a bunch of BS for rooting, but it does help reduce stress. I would say the number one thing you could do for your roots is invest in some Trichoderma Harzianum, which is in "T-harz", "Rootshield", and "Piranha". Canna makes a T-harzianum additive as well, but I don't think it's available in the US. That or some of that fresh compost tea. Beneficials for your roots anyways. Good lusk with everything though, and keep it posted. You got a link you can swing over?

All right, I'm out. Just dropped in to say hello. Things are going good, and filling in already. I'll take some pics in a couple days. I just gave them a pretty strong foliar, so hopefully that doesn't kill them. I'm building a new veg space and replumbing the drains so I can filter them tomorrow.

Peace out:wave:

Another long night , to try and set things right ...and here's what i came up with to plug in the replacement 4x4 SR71 cuts . Since it was such a pain b4 seeing the earlier ones dampen off & losing them , thought it fitting to use a large Long's Advil bottle with the bottom cut off to ream out a nice round hole about 2" deep . The B'Cuz Coco was rinsed thorougly then rinsed again with 500ppm ferts , B'cuz rooting juice =3mls , 5drops= Super Thrive, ph'd water & a little Flora+plus =5mls , Fulvic=3mls/gal ....the rockwool was given a PH/soak and treated lovingly to the same solution.

We're going by the book this time or as close to what my intuition &
experience ( and Buddha above !) tells me is the right way :redface:

hindukushxskunk1007meditx2.jpg

* The SR 4x4 clone cubes were kept only just "moist" under floros for 4days with the usual mess o' white roots shooting out the bottom . I filled the bottom of the dug out hole in the r/w with some of that rinsed /treated coco for the roots to have a soft bed to grow into . The Coco was just dry to moist and the clone plug was as well ....then after tucking more Coco in & around the plug inserted with 2" above soil line . I used an empty Atami bottle filled with that rooting /500ppm fert mixture to squirt only just so sparingly around the plug & not on . The local store here doesn't carry any Canna "T-harz", "Rootshield", or "Piranha" but will research those , tx for the mention .

It was top watering them before & getting the plug completely soaked ....as well as placing them down too deep flush with the soil line that kept them too wet and dampened them off . There have been strains though that would root like crazy just plugging them in & watering in , but not this HK ...needs the full light delicate treatment from the start .

So these babies better fly now cause i gave them all the loving this time & proper approach any good girl (or girls if i'm real lucky )deserves , lol !! :laughing:

hindukushxskunk1008medisp2.jpg

And we will be using that Atami bottle to water around these individually & sparingly ...but only after the needed 3-4 days when they show the need for it this time !

hindukushxskunk1010medizy3.jpg

Last edited:
G

gdawg

20k whats happenin. your electrical work was very impressive and clean. i just finished up my own control board, ccan't believe i went 2 years before installin a mechanical timer. anyway nice lookin setup can't wait to see more.

Kosmo

TAG

Looks great, keep the kids happy, cant wait to see them getting AN MJ... Grabbing my lazy boy and my LUX mini for this show, rock on bro

:wave:

20kw dreams

That's crazy terran! I have to go back and reread that though. I didn't understand WTF was going on there..:laugh:

What did you do gdawg? try and go in there every night?

Hey Kosmo:wave:

No more MJ! My hydro store pulled it from the shelf! They said something is wrong with it, and AN is reformulating it or some shit? I don't know. They said they are suggesting the Sensi line + Sensi Cal-Mag instead. So, I already had the Sensi Cal-Mag, so I just picked up a gallon each of Sensi A+B+fulvic+barricade and the beneficial line, as well as some compost tea.

We'll see how it goes. I actually had the Cutting edge in my hands for a second, but AN's marketing got to me, in the off chance that they really do marijuana specific research, not that cutting edge, being in Nor-cal, doesn't I suppose.

Too many damn choices these days. I kind of wish I was growing back in the day when GH was the only nutrient around, so I didn't have to choose.

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
Good stuff 20Kw, lookin forward to watching you do this round. As of this point im just sittin back on the side lines seeing how you do your set ups and learning more. Im sure i will be back with questions and you continue the show.

hope your having a good weekend and catch you later :wave:

memetic

damn 20kw, that strain your growing is frosty as hell! nice show homie... i like th elook of those big boss blocks. saves alot of time using them instead of filling a load of pots with loose coco. have you tried coco slabs?

peace

G

gdawg

hey there 20k :wave: naw i just had a nest of them lil cheap ass 8 dollar timers. :fsu: and a couple of power strips gettin hot all the time. i ashamed to say i've done electrical work off and on for like 10 years. :nono: i kinda live in the boondocks and had to self teach and didn't really know what i needed and so forth. thats all changed now, thanks to icmag and members. :headbange that bonecarver fella really gave me hope with the coco. i want to try a table or two of them boss blocks. can't wait to see how they turn out for ya :joint:

I

In Vino Veritas

20kw, looks great but you know that. What's up with the no scrubber, just ozone.. Doesn't the ozone stink up too much? This caught my attention because I have a 440CFM can-fan, don't think it can pull through the scrubber and push past the bulbs..

Last edited:

20kw dreams

Hey DB, all you gots to do is ask. I'll learn ya proper hows us boys do 'em up inna closet:smile: or shed...or basement..or apartment...or attic...or underground wherehouse...or hell, even your living room speaker!

@ memetric - Yeah, **** filling up 100+ pots of coco. I like it nice and easy, as well as cleaner. No, I haven't used straight coco slabs. I would have to order them, and I tried to order the COGR slabs, which are just slabs of chunky coco, and they couldn't come through. That's why I ended up with these, which I actually love because I can move each plant around. I am definately sticking with these for next run. I would like to see a wider, but shorter individual block though, like 10" x 10" x 6". Not that it'll ever happen, but I can dream.

@ gdawg - These are going to turn out beautifully, I can tell already. I pruned them out a little harder then they liked I think, cause growth slowed a bit, but it was easier to prune them when I was moving them and the screens were already up, then it would have been to pull each of them out after they were already in their final position. All it's really doing is delaying when I hit them with the Bushmaster.

Its amazing how much I've learned about the trades from growing herb. I hadn't really done much electrical before I started growing. After messing with the wiring of a dryer outlet one time, it was all over. Now I take on electrical jobs no prob. The internet can go a long way in helping you learn anything you want to know. That, and browsing through do-it-yourself books at home depot:smile:

@ IVV (I'm not righting all that..lol) - The O3 gen is at the exhaust fan, so all the ozone is ducted out of the room. The O3 gets extracted out with all the smell, where it mixes up and destroys most of the smelly organic particles in the attic before making it's way out the vents between the rafters. You can detect a faint wiff of odor when you stand on the porch sometimes, if you are right beneath one of the vents, and on certain days I've smelled it like 5' away, but never more. When I do get a wiff, due to a potent strain, I have a carbon "sock" I can throw over the exhaust and one side, and I hook up the intake of the short side of the lights directly to an intake making it a closed circuit, hence no smell from that exhaust. The socks themselves suck, but sork great with an ozone gen. The ozone actually cleans carbon of the organic particles as well.

I just realized too. I have pretty much everything for CO2, but the weather has been too hot. Now that it's cooling down, I am going to think about hooking everything back up. All I need is a temperature switch. I had everything for a closed room setup, but the AC was just to loud for comfort. So, If I did hook it up, it would have to be set up so the CO2 was on for a while you know, then the fans kick to bring temps down. I can put both the fans on closed curcuits though, so if it gets cold enough I may be able to just run it straight without venting.

Which reminds me of something cool. You guys seen the heatless LED lights? No heat means you could just let your room sit and bake with CO2 and never have to vent, not worry about fans or AC's. Nice it would be.

I

In Vino Veritas

20kw dreams said:
Hey DB, all you gots to do is ask. I'll learn ya proper hows us boys do 'em up inna closet:smile: or shed...or basement..or apartment...or attic...or underground wherehouse...or hell, even your living room speaker!

@ memetric - Yeah, **** filling up 100+ pots of coco. I like it nice and easy, as well as cleaner. No, I haven't used straight coco slabs. I would have to order them, and I tried to order the COGR slabs, which are just slabs of chunky coco, and they couldn't come through. That's why I ended up with these, which I actually love because I can move each plant around. I am definately sticking with these for next run. I would like to see a wider, but shorter individual block though, like 10" x 10" x 6". Not that it'll ever happen, but I can dream.

@ gdawg - These are going to turn out beautifully, I can tell already. I pruned them out a little harder then they liked I think, cause growth slowed a bit, but it was easier to prune them when I was moving them and the screens were already up, then it would have been to pull each of them out after they were already in their final position. All it's really doing is delaying when I hit them with the Bushmaster.

Its amazing how much I've learned about the trades from growing herb. I hadn't really done much electrical before I started growing. After messing with the wiring of a dryer outlet one time, it was all over. Now I take on electrical jobs no prob. The internet can go a long way in helping you learn anything you want to know. That, and browsing through do-it-yourself books at home depot:smile:

@ IVV (I'm not righting all that..lol) - The O3 gen is at the exhaust fan, so all the ozone is ducted out of the room. The O3 gets extracted out with all the smell, where it mixes up and destroys most of the smelly organic particles in the attic before making it's way out the vents between the rafters. You can detect a faint wiff of odor when you stand on the porch sometimes, if you are right beneath one of the vents, and on certain days I've smelled it like 5' away, but never more. When I do get a wiff, due to a potent strain, I have a carbon "sock" I can throw over the exhaust and one side, and I hook up the intake of the short side of the lights directly to an intake making it a closed circuit, hence no smell from that exhaust. The socks themselves suck, but sork great with an ozone gen. The ozone actually cleans carbon of the organic particles as well.

I just realized too. I have pretty much everything for CO2, but the weather has been too hot. Now that it's cooling down, I am going to think about hooking everything back up. All I need is a temperature switch. I had everything for a closed room setup, but the AC was just to loud for comfort. So, If I did hook it up, it would have to be set up so the CO2 was on for a while you know, then the fans kick to bring temps down. I can put both the fans on closed curcuits though, so if it gets cold enough I may be able to just run it straight without venting.

Which reminds me of something cool. You guys seen the heatless LED lights? No heat means you could just let your room sit and bake with CO2 and never have to vent, not worry about fans or AC's. Nice it would be.

Heh..no worries on the abbreviation, I like it.

Nice. I remember on OG there was a dude who built an in-line ozone gen to attach to 6-8" duct. Would be nice to get that thread, it was all DIY. Since you have a lot of experience, what size fans would you use to cool two 1000W's in Sunleaves Sunspot reflectors? The 7x6x8 room would be cooled with a fan also, central a/c passive intake. I have a 440CFM can-fan (and matching can) but I think I'll only be able to run 1K with that..?

Last edited: