What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 US Presidential Election

Who will become next President in U.S. what do you think?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

Hiddenjems

Remember when Javier Milei downsized his government by like 100,000 people?

it hasn't worked out well for for elon or Argentina

"...and twitter works the same." lol

at least the rebrand went well. right?
The federal government employs around 3,000,000 people directly. It sure doesn’t look like we get 3,000,000 peoples worth of output.

Hiddenjems

My parents were democrat voting hippies. Seeing people on the “left” in America defend the establishment is bizarre. What’s even more strange is dens are proud of a dick Cheney endorsement.

moose eater

Fema gets $18.8 billion a year in disaster relief. They spent around a billion moving migrants around, and sending them checks.

So where did the rest of the money go if they’re already out of cash?

Remember when Elon musk downsized twitter staff by 70-80% and twitter works the same? Government is the same. They need to cut their employees by at least 50%.
What other federal emergencies have there been this year? Floods in the Southcentral/Midwest? Texas? Louisiana?

I doubt very much that Helene is the first federal disaster when we're nearly 10 months into the year.

And I don't inherently support any government. I look at what the issue is, how it's proposed to be addressed, and assess from there.

Have there been copious quantities of government fuckups? Undoubtedly.

Is all government assistance bad? We've covered that before, and I bet your own non-government supporting parents or some of their friends were on food stamps at some point, based on your description of them in the past.

moose eater

My parents were democrat voting hippies. Seeing people on the “left” in America defend the establishment is bizarre. What’s even more strange is dens are proud of a dick Cheney endorsement.
Not too many Traditional Left here are proud of anything to do with Dick Cheney. He, like GW and the rest of that cabinet, along with Judith Miller of the NYT and those like her who shirked their duty in journalism to perpetuate falsehoods that killed over a million Iraqis, deserve to have been tried at The Hague or federal courts in the US, and imprisoned for life (if not executed by lethal injection, hanging, or firing squad) either in Leavenworth or at The Hague. End of story.

Last edited:

moose eater

Here's what I believe is a start...

AI Overview

In fiscal year 2024, FEMA has provided assistance for the following events:
  • Hurricane Helene
    FEMA has provided assistance to residents of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia affected by Hurricane Helene. FEMA has provided more than $45 million in funding to help survivors recover. Assistance includes grants for home repairs and temporary housing, low-cost loans, and other programs.
  • Watch Fire
    FEMA provided assistance to the San Carlos Apache Tribe for recovery efforts from the Watch Fire, which occurred from July 10–17, 2024. A Major Disaster Declaration was declared on October 4, 2024.

FEMA also has other programs for fiscal year 2024, including:

• Shelter and Services Program
    FEMA announced allocation amounts for Round 1 of SSP-A funding in April 2024. The amended FY 2024 SSP-A NOFO announced the eligible applicants and updated program requirements for Round 2 funding.

• Pre-Disaster Mitigation Congressionally Directed Spending Projects
    FEMA is making $190,568,289 available to 110 congressionally directed projects. Communities and Tribal Nations can apply for grants through Grants.gov.

Disasters and Other Declarations | FEMA.gov
* Arizona Watch Fire (DR-4833-AZ) Incident Period: July 10, 2024 - July 17, 2024. Major Disaster Declaration declared on October ...

FEMA

• Fiscal Year 2024 Shelter and Services Program - FEMA
    Sep 6, 2024 — Both the FY 2024 SSP-A NOFO and the amended FY 2024 SSP-A NOFO announced allocation amounts for FY 2024 SSP-A. The FY 2...

FEMA.gov

• FY 2024 Pre-Disaster Mitigation Congressionally Directed ...
    Sep 9, 2024 — Period of Performance (POP): Start Date: Date of the recipient's federal award. End Date: 36 months from the start date...

FEMA.gov

• FEMA Announces Federal Disaster Assistance Available to ...
    6 days ago — Posted. 09/29/2024. News Emergency Management. News General. FEMA announced Sunday that federal disaster assistance was ...

City of Tampa (.gov)

• Press Releases | FEMA.gov
    Residents of Galax and Giles, Grayson, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington and Wythe Counties remain eligible for assistance. ... FEMA Adm...

FEMA.gov

• FEMA Assistance is Available for People Affected by ...
    1 day ago — Release Date: October 4, 2024. WASHINGTON -- Throughout the Southeast, FEMA has already helped thousands of Hurricane Hel...

FEMA.gov
Generative AI is experimental.

moose eater

There's probably many more... Mother Nature's that way sometimes when she cuts loose.

audiohi

Veteran
The federal government employs around 3,000,000 people directly. It sure doesn’t look like we get 3,000,000 peoples worth of output.

how exactly would you quantify something like that?

just a gut feeling you've got?

so the US government employs .9% of the US population?

audiohi

Veteran

I bet your parents would be/are so proud watching the Cheneys endorsing the democrats.

Who do you think they're talking to?

audiohi

Veteran
Fema gets $18.8 billion a year in disaster relief. They spent around a billion moving migrants around, and sending them checks.

Remember when Elon musk downsized twitter staff by 70-80% and twitter works the same? Government is the same. They need to cut their employees by at least 50%.

Guess who gets to pay to connect those rebels in Texas to the US power grid so that they don't freeze due to their "efficient" government run power grid? All the while Abbott is spending millions moving migrants around.

The federal government.

Department of Energy tabs $360M to connect ERCOT to U.S. power grid​

The U.S. government doesn't want another 2021 freeze situation.​

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/texas-ercot-power-grid-energy-19814295.php

Could you imagine Texans asking for FEMA funds again? (Just kidding. They'll always keep asking while complaining)

Current FEMA funds available for Texas
  • Severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes, and flooding: This disaster occurred from April 26–June 5, 2024. FEMA is accepting late applications for this disaster for 60 days after the application period ended. Applicants can explain the delay by phone, in writing, or in-person.

• Hurricane Beryl: This disaster occurred from July 5–9, 2024. The deadline to apply for assistance was October 10, 2024. FEMA provided $704.7 million in financial assistance to nearly 673,700 Texas households. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also approved $247.8 million in low-interest disaster loans.

• Windy Deuce Fire: This fire occurred from February 27–March 16, 2024.
Individuals can apply for FEMA assistance by: Visiting DisasterAssistance.gov, Downloading the FEMA app, Calling the FEMA helpline at (800) 621-3362, and Visiting a Disaster Recovery Center.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

If you’ve ever worked for a private contractor next to government employees you’d know the term “government efficiency” is a joke.

Uncle Sam wastes more of my money than I do.

audiohi

Veteran
If you’ve ever worked for a private contractor next to government employees you’d know the term “government efficiency” is a joke.

Uncle Sam wastes more of my money than I do.

I'd like to see what your private contractor was charging the government while paying you less than the government employee.

moose eater

I worked for the US Forest Circus in SE Alaska in 1979, and we were (overall) poorly paid, but reasonably fed, while we worked our asses off and were proud of our production at our tasks, especially at remote sites.

I worked for some private outfits where we fucked off routinely and other times worked hard.

I worked for both private non-profits and indirect government as a contractor (civilian DoD) and direct government (wealthy city) as a mental health clinician. Sometimes we fucked off and other times we didn't, depending on the job, workload/demand, etc.

Many jobs require a steady supply of workers for those times the demand picks up. They rarely wait until they need X number of bodies then run out in a panic and hire a bunch of newbies. Doesn't work well that way.

I've worked union jobs where we worked much harder than many have alleged union workers are routinely capable of.

I know of other union jobs that were cushy lazy jobs.

Point being that making a blanket statement about 'all of these' or 'all of those' rarely fits reality.

audiohi

Veteran
what-the-hell-v0-rc91zhuuhysd1.jpeg