What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 US Presidential Election

Who will become next President in U.S. what do you think?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

Hiddenjems

the chinese are looking more like capitalist pigs every day. in the long term, for security and economic reasons it may be a good thing that china is heavily invested in the west.

2/3rds of their gdp is dependent on trade with the west, both the americas and the eu. they are much less likely to wage a fighting war against the west.
Everyone is a capitalist pig. Pretending we can live in a world where they aren’t is the fantasy.

The more rules we make to keep people and corporations from becoming these huge impersonal earning machines just kicks the door shut on their little club.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
Yes. Resident status. (US citizen)
As I thought, it sounds like most of your impression of Mexico was near the border. It's a pretty big country.

The cartels probably would not have taken over for the farmers and co-ops in the 70s were it not for the US interference. There are good things and bad about the cartel. They contribute some cash and food to poor, support some local community projects and provide some protection. In my community they pursue and punish thieves but also restrict and control some activities involved with growing cannabis and the drug trade.

My point with the real estate comparison was that at the time, I could have bought a home in San Diego for way less than I sold for, especially with the strong Canadian cash I had then.
thats what i plan on doing one day, selling this house and buying a palace in another state
/with plenty of money in the bank
if it werent for my mom living here and refusing to budge i would move someplace else sooner
but san diego real estate values arent going anywhere but up over the long term and i dont need the money so i can rent the house out one day and pass it on
/like a goose that lays golden eggs

im glad to hear the cartels are doing so much good in mexico!
just like the mobs? and other criminals
whats the saying el plato or el plomo
we went way deeper into mex than just tj, oaxaca was fun and had good surf
/my ex has relative there so i hung out with the locals
but i live close to baja and its nice, i just dont visit anymore
so you have one of those 99y leases on your property? if you arent a mexican you cant own land there can you?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
I wrote and registered a conservation covenant on the property prior to selling which prohibits development/subdivision.
that is cool man! and as long as the new owners signed off on the deal i hope it stands for the rest of time!

even if its just fallow fields and grasslands the world needs more open spaces

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
the chinese are looking more like capitalist pigs every day. in the long term, for security and economic reasons it may be a good thing that china is heavily invested in the west.

2/3rds of their gdp is dependent on trade with the west, both the americas and the eu. they are much less likely to wage a fighting war against the west.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
as long as we are less dependent on those Mo-Fo's.... as they said in the 60's and 70's.... the only good red is a dead red... obliviously we have gotten away from that mindset

greyfader

Everyone is a capitalist pig. Pretending we can live in a world where they aren’t is the fantasy.

The more rules we make to keep people and corporations from becoming these huge impersonal earning machines just kicks the door shut on their little club.
sadly, capitalism is here to stay. china has the second largest economy in the world, after the US. capitalism takes into account human nature, which overall is not that admirable. there seems to be a lot of purely self motivated greedy fucks out there that don't give a shit about anyone else. and all the different work ethics. some folks have great ones and some are so lazy that they rely on the government to keep barely alive.

"The more rules we make to keep people and corporations from becoming these huge impersonal earning machines just kicks the door shut on their little club."

there is something about this statement that perhaps you should consider before you vote. of the two choices which do you think will do a better job of making rules that kicks the door shut on their little club? the republican party traditionally, and donald trump recently, tend to allow giant corporations to suck the lifeblood out of the working class people any way they feel like doing it.

the democratic party is not exactly the patron saint of protecting the middle class from corporate greed, either, but historically, they have done the better job of it.

greyfader

as long as we are less dependent on those Mo-Fo's.... as they said in the 60's and 70's.... the only good red is a dead red... obliviously we have gotten away from that mindset
yep, i'm with you on minimizing our dependence on them but our own consumer society just fuels it even more.

i don't think their favorite color is red anymore, they seem to have developed a fondness for green.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i don't think their favorite color is red anymore, they seem to have developed a fondness for green.
yep.... thats why we in the west gotta beat em down now... as clemenza said in the godfather... lets hit em while we still have the muscle..... words to live by in todays world

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
yep, i'm with you on minimizing our dependence on them but our own consumer society just fuels it even more.

as have we all
i love to hear people rail against fer-ners buying up all our shit
but who is the one who sold out?
if i have something for sale why would i sell to the lowest bidder? as long as i get cash on the barrel
china need resources and the wealth gap there is insane, you have the haves and the super haves but a lot of china is rural, like back in the days rural
republicans/ democrats? hahah both parties are f'n the us tax payer every which way but loose
but its good for the brand
and corpos', yeah f'them
stop buying their shit and that will show them

/not railing on you @greyfader so im sorry

EastCoastGambit

I sort of remember the made is the USA campaign. That was kind of a failed social experiment over time. But agree we could all do well to buy less useless crap from China. However many great products also come from there and would be cost prohibitive to produce elsewhere. Offshoring and outsourcing manufacturing abroad in the recent decades of globalism is fairly akin to modern day slavery. And somewhat related and another pet peeve of mine is how successful marketing of "brands" was. Clothing with a swoosh or some other logo on it is not any more difficult or costly to produce than any no name brand, nor is there really a huge difference is quality; however, consumers are so psychologically mind fucked that they believe these things stand for something and improve their identity so they are happy to pay exponential multiples more for something because of a label. This and our obsession with Hollywood/celebrity are two examples of normalized lunacy in the modern world. Humans are fickle creatures.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so you have one of those 99y leases on your property? if you arent a mexican you cant own land there can you?
That law was changed years back. Unless a certain proximity (50km?) to the coast or border, deeded ownership is the norm.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that is cool man! and as long as the new owners signed off on the deal i hope it stands for the rest of time!
The owners then or in the future have no choice. The covenant is iron clad as long as the legal/ownership regulations remain. (common law)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
I sort of remember the made is the USA campaign. That was kind of a failed social experiment over time. But agree we could all do well to buy less useless crap from China. However many great products also come from there and would be cost prohibitive to produce elsewhere. Offshoring and outsourcing manufacturing abroad in the recent decades of globalism is fairly akin to modern day slavery. And somewhat related and another pet peeve of mine is how successful marketing of "brands" was. Clothing with a swoosh or some other logo on it is not any more difficult or costly to produce than any no name brand, nor is there really a huge difference is quality; however, consumers are so psychologically mind fucked that they believe these things stand for something and improve their identity so they are happy to pay exponential multiples more for something because of a label. This and our obsession with Hollywood/celebrity are two examples of normalized lunacy in the modern world. Humans are fickle creatures.
i remember that too made in the usa, but who can afford it now days?
its a double edged sword and we all like to get a deal
exports from china filled that gap, but they are being pushed out by even cheaper labor in places like india and se asia for a lot of the low end goods
/they make up for it manufacturing higher end stuff
i like my three strip pants or a little swoosh on the shirt and you can tell its made from a higher quality product, from the material to the stiching
the funny part is my friend tell me i dress like a bum

some people like nice stuff

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
The owners then or in the future have no choice. The covenant is iron clad as long as the legal/ownership regulations remain. (common law)
as long as they signed on the dotted line thats on them
but you know that actually limits what the land i worth, if i buy something i buy it outright, no strings attached
/ive lived in hoa communities and those guys = all the sux

so do they use the property as a farm?

greyfader

as have we all
i love to hear people rail against fer-ners buying up all our shit
but who is the one who sold out?
if i have something for sale why would i sell to the lowest bidder? as long as i get cash on the barrel
china need resources and the wealth gap there is insane, you have the haves and the super haves but a lot of china is rural, like back in the days rural
republicans/ democrats? hahah both parties are f'n the us tax payer every which way but loose
but its good for the brand
and corpos', yeah f'them
stop buying their shit and that will show them

/not railing on you @greyfader so im sorry
i didn't take it that way buddy. so no reason to be sorry.

this is a 17 year old young lady, blind, from malaysia. i get a lot of inspiration and hope listening to all these amazingly talented young people from all over the planet. they're bursting out onto the scene via the internet everywhere. editing to add that these young people have the power to unite the world. in china right now the young folks are all listening to western music.

Last edited: