What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

gaslit_kush_co

Ricky's Brothers Kush.

It also went by Snoops' OG in most circles. The RBK moniker was just known between growers for the longest.

First dude I ever saw with it was AJ.
I'll keep it on the radar 💯💯💯 if it's the right cut fuck I'll trade my jar of seeds for a few viable cuts

H e d g e

And he pioneered breeding plants. He was very astute
His findings don’t necessarily apply to all plants, particularly modified ones.
If modification could be selected out it would be a game changer. Clean soya is thought to no longer exist, clean cannabis won’t either the way things are going.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do they have a big database? Phylos is probably the biggest but all my homies hate phylos. You can still acesss their data but the galaxy is gone.

Kannapedia has a decent sized database, which also connects to the phylos data. MyfloraDNA is doing genome testing as well, but not sure how many cult8vars they have mapped.

Their website still works but no clue if there still in buisness. I've not used them since 2017.

JetLife175

Veteran
Under the circumstances, we can’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Most of us are hobbyists and laymen. What you describe doing is about the best most of us can do.

I know I bang the drum about population size a lot but there is good reason for it. I’m not trying to put anyone down who can’t use many plants. I get it. But when you’re making F2s or repro’ing an old line, using as many plants as possible is just best practice.

Instead, many think they are doing something good by narrowing down the number of males and using only 1 or 2 that “pass the test.” That type of selection pressure has no place in making F2s or doing a seed increase of a line. Preservation without alleles is just breeding.

Cannabis plants can have 2 alleles at each locus/gene. These alleles represent variation. When you perform a 1:1 mating, there will only be 4 alleles at each loci. Many of the old lines people revere had plants with dozens if not hundreds of alleles. This is where the diversity and resilience of these lines came from.

My approach to making seeds, particularly for F2 or IX, is as follows:
  1. Load the P1 gen with as many plants as possible.
  2. Don’t cull males unnecessarily.
  3. Avoid 1:1 matings for at least the first two generations.
I would offer as a suggestion to get (at least) 2 packs of a line whenever possible. Those additional seeds come in handy.

The issue isn’t that you only have 5 or 10 seeds to make more. For your purposes that’s fine.

It’s that often times all that people can find of a given line is a repro that was made by someone who only used 5-10 seeds. Over subsequent generations it’s easy to see how this becomes a problem.

Add in global access and these lesser lines can become widespread, and serve as the basis for someone’s first experience or understanding of what that line is.

This gets back to the preservation issue, and why the burden to reproduce and maintain certain varieties shouldn’t exclusively fall on hobbyists.

Until some major changes occur, that is about all that any of us can do.
This is about as good as it gets in my opinion.

Every time I get a clone that's a keeper for whatever reason that particular pheno/clone gets selfed.

If that keeper came from a line that involves both sexes an open pollination is done so I can keep as much of the pool open as possible.

I've never really done 1:1 male:female pairings myself but have always wanted to, but to be honest I don't know what the hell I am looking for in a "stud" male.

The selfing and open pollination approach gets me what I need for preservations sake.

When you mention loading the p1 with as many plants as possible what you are alluding to essentially is an open pollination right?

Steve rogers

There is no old school blood anymore. Everything is a Heinz 57. Cousins crossed with cousins. You breed with Frankenstein you get Munster babies. The old classic strains have been gone since the 90s. Ya there are some nice new glamour strains but I sure miss the classic terpenes of the 80s-90s. Real Skunk and Pine terpenes. Flavor for days. Red eye, giggle weed. Cotton mouth. That stuff is a thing of the past. And ya I've been growing since the mid to late 80s so I was around thru the Golden Era.

I just grew some sour d x bubbakush from csi and it definitely has that old school sourd terp I remember from 2005.

Steve rogers

What were the phenos like on this one?
I only grew two. Both similar in structure and I would guess they both leaned more sour d. One has a very distinct sour d smell. Short like bubba but longer flowering at 10 weeks. The other was similar. A Little more stretch but had a chem/funk leaning profile. The sour d profile is my favorite. I have two more and I will try them soon.