What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

120/240V, T104, 40amp with 8/3??

• Thread starter In Vino Veritas
  • Start date
I

In Vino Veritas

Lucky U said:
Keepem coming, I am still learning but this is helping!!! My problem is my ballist are on 120v not 240v and I need to have everything wired for 120v.

Are you ballasts multi-tap? Mine do everything, 120, 220, 240, 440.. It's just a matter of unplugging the wire that says 240, and connecting the one that 120.. But again this is on my ballasts..

Both of my Sunleaves 1000's and my switchable Sunlight Supply 1000 can do this. In fact I keep my switchable on 120 since I will be using it for it's MH capability..

I

In Vino Veritas

whats up dude, working on it as we speak.. I was reading over the pms you've sent me to make sure I have it all down..

I couldn't get a ground bar, but I have a grounding screw tapped into the case. Can I use that?

Also trying to understand the wiring for two outlets..

The hot black goes to the silver screw side - the red hot goes the gold screw side - and from the neutral bar in the sub to the ground on the receptacle? After that I go from the other free silver screw on to a silver screw on the other receptacle.. Same with the gold screw and neutral? I'm talking 240.

Nice little bit of info. I will be watching it. If I had more then 1 light I would wire in the 240 but since I am in a smaller space I only use 120

G

gdawg

black to the gold, red to the silver is how i always do it. no neutral. a ground from the sub to the outlet. then the same going to your next outlet. ya you can tap the case with the grounding screw.

I

In Vino Veritas

(i'll have to post pictures tomorrow night because for some reason I'm getting errors again)

I wired L1 (black) to the top Gold screw (on outlet). I wired L2 (white in t104, which is red from the main to the sub) to the bottom Silver screw (on outlet). I wired the Ground (bare, self-tapping ground screw lower left of sub) to the Green screw (on outlet). I'm going to get a ground bar because that self tapping screw is on tight but looks shitty. I then repeated all of this for the other outlet. I think this is correct.

I'm not sure then what the neutral is for? Still need to wire the 120V and get it all tied in at the main end.

Last edited:
G

gdawg

your neutral is for your 120 outlets. you don't need em for the 240. ya i need a pic of this outlet, cuz black to the gold, red to the other side, not the bottom. the bottome screws are for poweren another outlet if you desire. the easiest way for your ground in the sub is a "piggyback" a 5" piece of green to the ground screw, then any grounds you need wirenut off of that^

I

In Vino Veritas

Yay the uploads are working!

Yay the uploads are working!

Here is the timer, I wired each outlet independently. What I meant by top and bottom is that I used the top screw from the left side for one wire and the bottom screw on the right for the other. Ground went to the green screw. The two screws on each side share a brass plate so I figured top or bottom wouldn't matter.

Here is everything, well all of the 240V side. I'm going to go down and do the main now and also take a picture of the outlets without wires, and hopefully wire the 120V

For now I'm using that green screw on the lower left of the sub (where the grounds meet and just float - they are leaning on it) as a ground..I'm going to buy a ground bar to keep things neat. I think this should be find to test though right?

Let me know if I f*cked it up :D - think ya just went offline

Last edited:
G

gdawg

looks good to me ivv! nice clean work too, i bet ya feel good about it.

I

In Vino Veritas

I'm happy as **** really :D I'm looking forward to not having cables running under a door.. Thanks for the help dude, yI really appreciate it!

I'm not sure how to tell which is the Neutral or Ground in my main. I think the Neutral is the one on the RIGHT (connected to that big 3rd bolt up top), and the Ground is the one on the LEFT?

Heh.. I'm being paranoid/over cautious.. Pretty sure right bar is Neutral and left bar is Ground.

Last edited:
G

gdawg

that is correct. you already understand how to run the 120 now too, don't ya!

I

In Vino Veritas

I missed a couple of shots..I'll talk you through it.

Here is the main, notice the Neutral bar on the right, Ground bar on the left. The blurry shot of the 30A Double Pole Single Throw breaker that feeds the sub/triplex breaker. Between the Black and Red cables is the bare ground wire at the bar. The other picture is of the white on the Neutral bar, right where there is a breaker missing. So that is where all 4 wires from my 10/3 connect at the main. Black to 30A DPST L1, Red to 30A DPST L2, Bare to Ground bar on left, White to Neutral bar on right.

At the sub, the 10/3 connects as follows. Black to Sub Left Leg, Red to Sub Right Leg, White to Neutral bar upper right, Bare to Ground screw lower left. Follow the default instructions from there to wire your t104.

Here is the outlets I used, they are Leviton heavy-duty, 120V 20A. Yes 20A hd on a 15A circuit is not smart. Use your own discretion. I know that this 120v circuit will never hold more than 7amps. I used the dark brown for 240V and the Ivory for 120V, white face plates to make labeling easy.

120V wiring
From 15A - Black to Brass
From Neutral - White to Silver
From Ground Screw - Bare to Ground

Here she is all put together. I still need to wire the far left 120V outlet, ran out of wire, plus don't really need it. Also I will need lower gauge (thicker) wire if I plan to run more power through the timer. The t104 can handle 40A, so that means I can really crank about 30-35A, 1000W uses about 5. I'll be running 2000W through it, MAYBE 3000W if theres a blue moon.

Let me know if you have any questions, though I'll probably need to ask myself if it's outside the scope of what I've done. Thanks to all the people who participated, thanks to gdawg for all his explanations and pretty much walking me through this. I want to make a final note, if you have a project like this just start and go through it step by step. Everything was a lot easier when I did it, than when I thought about it!

Latest posts

Latest posts