What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

11 Reasons Why You Should Drink Coffee Every Day

gmanwho

Veteran
When im done drinking my morning half gallon of coffee i fell like yelling................" I am Cornholio". Coffee has me Wired this morning.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...anybody here start with green beans and homeroast your coffee?

...i've been grinding my beans for about 5 years now and brewing with a french press but i'm seriously considering home roasing my own so i could use some advice from anyone already doing this.

peace, bozo

justanotherbozo

Veteran
It's easy I use a popcorn air popper.

Just learn about first crack and second crack and experiment away.

...yeah, i've actually been doing a fair bit of research now for several months, kinda just toying with the idea until recently and everything i've learned suggests that freshly roasted beans are the best.

...i'm thinking i'll try roastng on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet first and if i like the results i'll probably pick up a Whirley Pop for roasting, i like the idea of the air popper and the convenience but i'm looking to go off-grid sometime soon so roasting without electricity is my goal.

...where i really need advice is in where to get fresh green coffee beans at a decent price and maybe some suggestions on what varieties to try.

peace, bozo

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
...yeah, i've actually been doing a fair bit of research now for several months, kinda just toying with the idea until recently and everything i've learned suggests that freshly roasted beans are the best.

...i'm thinking i'll try roastng on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet first and if i like the results i'll probably pick up a Whirley Pop for roasting, i like the idea of the air popper and the convenience but i'm looking to go off-grid sometime soon so roasting without electricity is my goal.

...where i really need advice is in where to get fresh green coffee beans at a decent price and maybe some suggestions on what varieties to try.

peace, bozo

Buy them like you buy weed seeds. Just do a google search for say "Ecuador high altitude coffee beans". Contact, pay, and they'll send you fresh beans. I like Ecuadorian cloud forest coffee. I haven't tried jamaican blue mountain coffee yet. $80 a cup in Hong Kong. Supposed to be the best.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Buy them like you buy weed seeds. Just do a google search for say "Ecuador high altitude coffee beans". Contact, pay, and they'll send you fresh beans. I like Ecuadorian cloud forest coffee. I haven't tried jamaican blue mountain coffee yet. $80 a cup in Hong Kong. Supposed to be the best.

yeah, that much i figured out on my own, what i was hoping for was some links and opinions or testimonials.

...but thanks anyway.

bozo

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I haven't tried jamaican blue mountain coffee yet. $80 a cup in Hong Kong. Supposed to be the best.

Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is good but 99% of what you heard is just hype.

I drank it in Jamaica in 1972, 1973, 1982 and 1994....
Its good, but don't you dare pay $80 for a cup of it....

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I scored my beans through a buyer for a coffee shop.

Sumatra comes in at least two varieties.

I love Sumatran Mandheling.

I like peaberry a lot too.

Varieties vary according to use.

What may be good for city roast may be downright nasty as espresso.

I favor a dark oily bean.

Oh and I will second Bud's addition in regards to Blue Mountain coffee.

Good but not some new experience.

ChinggisKhaan

I have been roasting my own beans since 2006. I love the process. I have an old Breadman Ultimate bread machine that I have removed the glass viewing window. I put a pound of green beans in, set the machine to Pizza Dough. That setting gives a constant stir for about 18 min. For my heat source I use a hot-air heat gun. I set it to 850-900 degrees since I get blow back from the large opening I'm pointing the heat gun into.

Brewing I use a conical burr grinder and a french press. I watched a show on the history of coffee. They asked the preferred brewing method of 8 coffee farmers. All answered "press"

Last edited:
N

noyd666

fuk'n hot here n been working ,so 4 cups o tea in a row. beer coming up, coffee fer breakfast.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

from my old cocaine days (years) I knew as long as I had the good blow I'd be able to pass right out whenever I was tired, but not so if it was speedy, that crap kept me up period, thankfully I rarely got that crap.

now it's nothing to brew up a cup or two before bed, it's 11:17pm & I haven't put my cup away yet.......

EDIT:
12:23 & just sitting w/my last cup, have to get up early tomorrow.

Just so that you know I'm a liar, I'm 2 sips into what MIGHT be my last cup o' joe @2:25am

Last edited:
N

noyd666

sleep is a pestilence, a bloody nuisance, a bloody long wait till morn, 6 pisses later n fuk me dead a cup o coffee
picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

from my old cocaine days (years) I knew as long as I had the good blow I'd be able to pass right out whenever I was tired, but not so if it was speedy, that crap kept me up period, thankfully I rarely got that crap.

now it's nothing to brew up a cup or two before bed, it's 11:17pm & I haven't put my cup away yet.......

EDIT:
12:23 & just sitting w/my last cup, have to get up early tomorrow.

Just so that you know I'm a liar, I'm 2 sips into what MIGHT be my last cup o' joe @2:25am

I had my first cup of coffee at about 8 yrs old. Had a cup with breakfast everyday before school. Poor teachers. lol. Then I had a restaurant in my 20s, and was drinking about 40 cups a day. The only negative was night sweats. Up to a couple years ago, I'd fall asleep with a cup next to me and I'd chug it down cold when I woke up. But things change with age. If I drink one after 9pm, I wake up 2-3 times at night and my sleep is interrupted. So I'll drink green tea (chinese) after dinner. Sleeping like a baby again.:)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

had just one cup of coffee today, I like to have a cup while chatting w/my shrink.......