What's new

The Future of Energy

ijim

Unless we cut the world population in half all of the above resources will be needed. And unless we have a revolution that puts the needs of humans over the greed of corporations half of the available resources today will still not be used more effectively tomorrow than they are used today.

Max Headroom

Veteran
i'm certain there are many many patents on how to get more or less "free" energy. but since energy is the basic currency on which everything else is based, the last thing the "powers that be" want, is free energy. it would upset their whole applecart.

IMHO the only way the current global power-structure could be toppled without massive loss of life is, if there was a simple, cheap way for everyone on the planet to build their own 10 KW free energy generators.

it would pull the rug out from underneath those conscienceless monsters who have held the world hostage for 150+ years by pretending that oil is a finite resource, which it isn't.

TLoft13

There there FOREVER...who is going to clean up after a nuclear reactor is removed? Nobody. It's a toxic waste forever.

And yes...you ARE wise to not believe ONE THING that comes from the "officials".

We should bill the ernergy corporations with the expected costs for maintaining nuclear waste dumps for the few 100.000 years it'll still radiate... Instead we let them make a huge profit of nuclear power and let society handle the cost and problems- for most likely thousands of generations.

Green lung

Veteran
i'm certain there are many many patents on how to get more or less "free" energy. but since energy is the basic currency on which everything else is based, the last thing the "powers that be" want, is free energy. it would upset their whole applecart.

IMHO the only way the current global power-structure could be toppled without massive loss of life is, if there was a simple, cheap way for everyone on the planet to build their own 10 KW free energy generators.

it would pull the rug out from underneath those conscienceless monsters who have held the world hostage for 150+ years by pretending that oil is a finite resource, which it isn't.

The evil man is holding you down... lol...............Free energy lol

Knowone is stopping you from building your "free energy machine".

Let me guess you saw a guy on youtube who made a "free energy machine" in his garage?

G

Guest 88950

It doesn't matter...the sun doesn't put out enough energy to run most electrical appliances. The suns energy is really quite weak...it's why we don't get fried when we go outside. The ONLY way to get enough is to CONCENTRATE it...a battery does this. The sun shines all day and charges the battery...the battery lasts several minutes and then needs another full day to charge...get it?

Oil also concentrates the suns energy.

the Sun's energy is pretty weak?
Batteries concentrate energy?
Oil concentrates the suns energy?

sadly your statements attributing man's inability to harness the suns energy and claiming that we are failing at generating enough solar energy due to the sun being weak only shows your lack of knowledge on this topic.

batteries store energy, not concentrate it.

explain how Oil concentrates solar energy.

danut

plant matter is grown by collection of solar energy.

The plant matter then gets burried and compressed. Resulting in oil and other fossil fuel.

When it is burned, that energy from the sun from a very long time ago is released again.

G

Guest 88950

i understand where crude comes from but how does OIL come in contact with the sun so it can concentrate its energy?

OIL may be a form of concentrated energy BUT it doesnt concentrate solar energy.

grapeman

Veteran
Hate to break it to you all, but the real crux of the biscuit is not how we can continue to make and waste vast amounts of energy perpetuating a malignant, non-sustainable and illogical economic paradigm.....

It's about changing that paradigm, and changing the way we interact with this planet and the reasons why we are here.....PERIOD.

Because if we don't, and continue to rape, pillage, exploit and desecrate our only home in our infinite anthropocentric arrogance and greed, the planet will wipe us off like a pesky little fungus and go along it's merry way.

And the next species to evolve a large braincase will put our remnants in museums and label us as the species who amused and gorged themselves to death.

Let all repeat this next line after me....and keep saying it to yourself.

You cannot have infinite growth within a finite system.....PERIOD!

You use a whole lot of words to say absolutely Nothing. Esoteric bullshit.

Go hug a tree or something and leave the heavy thinking to those of us that do not want to live in a teepee.

joeuser

the Sun's energy is pretty weak?
Batteries concentrate energy?
Oil concentrates the suns energy?

sadly your statements attributing man's inability to harness the suns energy and claiming that we are failing at generating enough solar energy due to the sun being weak only shows your lack of knowledge on this topic.

batteries store energy, not concentrate it.

If you have a TV and you hook it up to your average solar panel...it will not work. There isn't enough sun's anergy available every second to run the TV. So, what do we do to get the TV to work? We charge a fucking battery...and THEN we run the TV. But we can't run the TV for as long as it took to charge the battery because the sun doesn't put out enough energy to run a TV...we NEED a fucking BATTERY to CONCENTRATE the fucking suns energy so we can watch the fucking TV.

Step away from the bong and go learn something...after you learn something new...you can have some more. Deal?

plant matter is grown by collection of solar energy.

The plant matter then gets burried and compressed. Resulting in oil and other fossil fuel.

When it is burned, that energy from the sun from a very long time ago is released again.

It's MILLIONS and MILLIONS of days of sun energy all compressed, condensed, into a gallon of oil.

They don't realize that FOOD is also condensed sun energy...it takes 60 days or so for a crop to ripen. 60 days worth of sun energy in a kernel of corn.

The sun doesn't put out much energy! Overall yes...but on one square meter on an average day, in the mid latitudes...not so much. Not enough to run a modern society for sure!

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
i understand where crude comes from but how does OIL come in contact with the sun so it can concentrate its energy?

OIL may be a form of concentrated energy BUT it doesnt concentrate solar energy.

on the contrary where crude comes from is EXACTLY how petroleum is concentrated solar energy..
energy can neither be created nor destroyed only transfered between forms.
it comes from the sun as heat/radiant energy. it is transformed by the plants into matter(energy) via photosynthesis. Through decomposition it is turned into potential energy(petroleum)

of course this is all very simplistic but suffice it to say oil IS solar energy.

but then EVERY process on earth(excluding seismic(geological is powered by the effects of the suns gravity but thats kinetic/electromagnetic/friction not radiant) is powered by the sun.

to say the sun is to weak to power our planet is ignorant at best however.
the sun ALREADY powers all our natural processes and we just need to figure out efficient methods to harvest it.

G

Guest 88950

JoeUser

does using "fuck" make you any more right or is it an indication of your age and maturity?

the sun isnt weak, it is the inability of CURRENT TECHNOLOGY of PV panels to use all of the energy output by the sun.

again, batteries STORE not condense energy.

i think it is your lack of understanding on this issue.

do you know why the links i posted regarding pv tech are different than current silicon based pv panels? the difference i think you could grasp is that they are more efficient in transferring the photons of the sun into a usable flow of electrons, electricity.

DAG, re-read what im saying. i explained that OIL Does Not Concentrate solar energy, it is a condensed form.

G

Guest 88950

The sun doesn't put out much energy! Overall yes...but on one square meter on an average day, in the mid latitudes...not so much. Not enough to run a modern society for sure!

solar panels are not the only way to harness energy from the sun.

maybe it is you that should do some research on the subject.

and judging from your hostilities you need to step up to the bong, then discover universities that are conducting research in this field by performing a google search.

alkalien

During daytime on a sunny day in Germany we get about 20% of our energy from photovoltaik installed in Germany. That equals the power we get from nuclear power plants. Wind is even more powerful. Keep in mind, Germany is neither very sunny no windy!

About 1% of the area of the sahara dessert is able to supply all the power the world consumes, day and night. Thats with todays equipment, shipped to where you need it, losses are included.

Don't tell it cant be done while we just started doing it :)

grapeman

Veteran
JoeUser

does using "fuck" make you any more right or is it an indication of your age and maturity?

the sun isnt weak, it is the inability of CURRENT TECHNOLOGY of PV panels to use all of the energy output by the sun.

again, batteries STORE not condense energy.

i think it is your lack of understanding on this issue.

do you know why the links i posted regarding pv tech are different than current silicon based pv panels? the difference i think you could grasp is that they are more efficient in transferring the photons of the sun into a usable flow of electrons, electricity.

DAG, re-read what im saying. i explained that OIL Does Not Concentrate solar energy, it is a condensed form.

Thank you for stating the fact that solar is not yet ready for prime time. When it is, watch the rush to solar WITHOUT government subsidies.

Fuck'in A

grapeman

Veteran
During daytime on a sunny day in Germany we get about 20% of our energy from photovoltaik installed in Germany. That equals the power we get from nuclear power plants. Wind is even more powerful. Keep in mind, Germany is neither very sunny no windy!

About 1% of the area of the sahara dessert is able to supply all the power the world consumes, day and night. Thats with todays equipment, shipped to where you need it, losses are included.

Don't tell it cant be done while we just started doing it :)

Hmmm. A simple google search tells a different story.

http://www.slideshare.net/Narciso94/energy-production-in-germany-2509230

Coal = 49%
Nuclear =30%
Natural Gas =8%
Renewable =10% Renewable includes solar AND wind

Are you sure you even know where your power comes from?? And don't say the thing in the "wall".

Ot this
http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclopedia/p/pow-gen-ger.htm

You're still off.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
If you have a TV and you hook it up to your average solar panel...it will not work. There isn't enough sun's anergy available every second to run the TV. So, what do we do to get the TV to work? We charge a fucking battery...and THEN we run the TV. But we can't run the TV for as long as it took to charge the battery because the sun doesn't put out enough energy to run a TV...we NEED a fucking BATTERY to CONCENTRATE the fucking suns energy so we can watch the fucking TV.

Step away from the bong and go learn something...after you learn something new...you can have some more. Deal?

You really are a piece of work, joe.

First you babble in a very ignorant way about TVs, batteries and the sun. I am an electrician, and trust me....yer ignorant.

Then you have the chutzpah to make a very obnoxious and condescending comment to SuperSilverHaze that he should go out and learn something.
It is obvious to me (and I'm sure to many others here) that you really know diddly squat about power generation and storage, you have never done any serious personal research on the field, and yet you talk like yer the expert.

You really should avoid doing shit like that, laddie....it really does not do anything wonderful for your credibility.

Go learn even a wee bit about what you are talking about and then come back Senor....then we can discuss things like adults and not nattering children. Here.....you can start with this tidbit:

There already exists technology to allow us to use solar energy to TOTALLY replace daytime electric use in the US....but that would cost too many various Corpo-Nazis too much, so it was just pushed aside and forgotten.
Do some research on Sunpower Inc and their Stirling engine design....and maybe YOU can go learn something of what you speak before you rant about things you dont know very much about.

alkalien

Hmmm. A simple google search tells a different story.

http://www.slideshare.net/Narciso94/energy-production-in-germany-2509230

Coal = 49%
Nuclear =30%
Natural Gas =8%
Renewable =10% Renewable includes solar AND wind

Are you sure you even know where your power comes from?? And don't say the thing in the "wall".

Ot this
http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclopedia/p/pow-gen-ger.htm

You're still off.

You are right, my numbers are just for a single day with excelent weather. Arround the year, its less solar. Over the year we are arround 15% renewable.

Nuclear is allmost unimportent today, few weeks ago we got rid of 8 of our 17 nuclear power plants because they are just too dangerous. In ten years we wont use any nuclear energy.

Nuclear energy only provided arround 20GW of our 80GW peak power usage.

If you want the real numbers, even those for this very day, check out the energy exchange in Leipzig, they got the very latest numbers.

And to answer your question, yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I know my numbers are better than those on slideshare and better than those provide who run the nuclear power plants....

Check out desertec if you wanna see the future!

alkalien

Inorganic produced oil is one exciting topic. But still Scientists arround the world are fighting whether this theorie is correct or not. A group of russian chemists proofed that its possible to produce oil from methane and some other stuff under gigantic pressure. This could explain why the oil field in, I'm not entirely sure, Kazakhstan did allready supply more oil than there could ever been stored. In the same direction points the fact, that alle major oil fields are where huge tectonic plates meet.

On the other hand you can find organic matter in crude oil, that can not be "generated" inorganic. Could be a combination of multiple effects, that built the worlds oil. But you got to admit that exploring new fields is gettin harder everyday and the amounts of newly discovered oil are ways less than what we pump up today. Peak oil is a thing of the past...

BTW: today Germanys parliament decided just a few moments ago that all nuclear power plants must be shut down until 2022. Every one of them has a due date now. No new reactors may be build. The future of energy is renewable, nuclear is the past.

Latest posts

Latest posts